Sunday, September 9, 2018

My San Francisco Zoo Status - Membership etc.

Over the next week or two, I'm going to seriously attempt a blog post months in the making. I've been trying to write a post about the upcoming Madagascar Project since I first heard about it, over five months ago.  Its a long one because in my opinion, it encompasses so many issues.  I cried when I first heard about it and that sorta set the tone for how emotionally draining write about it will be.  

The reason I bring this up premature to posting, is because I know its something that Zoo Management is not going to like.  Everytime I have written a blog post that contains opinions against something the Zoo has done, I always feel a bit of apprehension on my next Zoo visit.  In short, I never know whether I'm getting in or not.  

For those who aren't familiar with my history with the Zoo, in the smallest nutshell I can fit a synopsis, I'll attempt it.  In orders from Director Tanya Peterson, my Membership has been revoked twice, once in 2011 and again last year 2017.  Neither time was I given a reason.  In 2011, I was grouped in with a lie that was given as reason to my friend Lee, a Guardian Level Member and former Docent, who had hers revoked at the same time.  Eleven months later the Zoological Society Chairman David Stanton, finally responded to one of my letters, with untrue reasons he got from Peterson. I replied and asked him if he wanted to be the face of other peoples untruths.  Both Lee and I immediately had our Memberships reinstated complimentary.  Six years later it happened to me again.  This time Director Peterson had it noted on my account that I was "deceased".  I requested from three people a reasoning for that notation and for being denied renewal and to date have never gotten one.  I must either be considered so beneath Director Peterson that she does not feel it necessary to provide me with one, there is no legal/legitimate reason, or both.

I must remind Director Peterson that while she and others may not agree with what I write, it is not against the law or rules to have an opinion.  Last weekend, I added two quotes regarding personal opinion to the side bars of this blog.  I will also remind that I have never (even pre-2011) been spoken to by any Staff Member about my behavior while visiting the Zoo.  

I wrote about this in a post when it happened.  After noting rules to visitors on two separate occasions, one sitting over a barrier, one throwing something at a nesting Flamingo, I was told to fuck off, and mind my own fucking business , respectively.  I of course reported these two instances, for the Animal Endangerment factor.  I'm a big girl, so I am not offended by someone swearing at me, but knowing that it is noted in the rules at the front that vulgarity is cause for ejection, and knowing that not even throwing rocks at a sleeping Tiger will get you ejected, I followed-up on these incidents.  Neither offender was ejected.  Neither offender asked if they were Members (as shouldn't they have their Memberships revoked?).  In fact, I witnessed one of the offenders being spoken to by Management and the Management representative was very causal, not serious or authoritative.  I saw him laughing with them!  Other than the wrong call by Management not to eject these offenders, the relating point is, there are separate rules for me than there are for others, and I don't even do anything but have an opinion in regards to my compassion for the Animals.  So if I had sworn at someone like that, good grief who knows what they would have done.  

I will also note that I asked this Management person about these incidents and was told in general the rule before ejection is three warnings.  I don't agree with that when it comes to throwing stuff at the Animals, one, two, three and we have a Tatiana situation. That said, should there not be three warnings before having your Membership revoked or denied renewal?  As I've stated I have never had a staff member or security speak to me about my behavior, and that's because I don't do anything disruptive. So, I have never been warned about anything.

So, as I started, I often feel apprehensive after writing something controversial.  Following the recent posts I made about the Zoo allowing non-staff handle the Snow Leopard Cubs, I have had some interactions with staff that have been different than in the past.  I'm not a paranoid person, but I am very observant and sensitive to changes.  I have a feeling something could be brewing and I wanted to document it here, as again there is no valid reason for retaliation against me, for me posting my personal opinions about something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.