Friday, October 26, 2018

News Flash! Cincinnati Zoo Sues Gorilla Foundation For Custody of Gorilla Ndume

I woke up today to this news.  It has hit many media sources, this is the article I read first.  
It contains the Court Document, so make sure to click on that link in the article.


This is upsetting.  Most of us who have followed Ndume's plight (I've posted about it several times), have known this might be a probable situation.  The people who I discuss this with most are a handful of former Gorilla Foundation caregivers.  I grew up following Koko's story, and loving her. Over the past decade since I've become more involved with the SFZoo Animals, I have been uncomfortable with Koko's life and living situation.  A few years ago I read about the other Gorilla there, Ndume.  Like Koko's, a sad life there for a Great Ape.  When Koko passed, I joined and took an active role in the crusade to get Ndume moved out of there. 

There's alot to be angry about with the situation that has resulted in this lawsuit.   Obviously the main issue of The Gorilla Foundation (TGF) not abiding by the agreement.  For me the main issue is still the isolation, which Cincinnati Zoo (CZ) references throughout the court document.  CZ and AZA/SSP (Association of Zoos and Aquariums/Species Survival Plan) have known for decades that Ndume did not live in same enclosure with Koko and they chose to leave him there.  Now they are using that basically as the basis of their argument, with Ron Evans from CZ quoting Gorillas need for "social interaction". I'm not trying to be against them, because of course I believe he should be transferred back there, but I have to state the obvious, CZ and AZA/SSP have basically dug themselves this hole and by proxy the innocent Ndume, by abandoning him there for at minimum 20 yrs more than necessary per the original reason for sending him there, which was to breed with Koko.  He has been left there for 27 years.  Not two years, not seven years, not fifteen, not twenty, 27 years!  Alone. They are the ones who have set this scene.  

How many times other than the one a few years ago with the photo op with Koko,  did either CZ and/or the AZA/SSP visit TGF to check on Ndume?  My sources can only reference the one time in all those years.  Even if more, I highly doubt it was the twice a year stated in those documents.  I assume neither CZ or AZA/SSP are unaware as they are supposed to be made up of the highly regarded professionals in their fields, so they also had to know that TGF's whole project had become fantasy in recent years if not earlier.  The argument that Koko needed companionship, in my opinion is not valid.  As I understand it, Koko was never allowed to co-habitate with other Gorillas.  Random encounters over the years, but no consistent daily interaction.  Koko was raised as a Human and had no need for Gorilla companionship.  This is allegedly and likely why she wasn't interested in breeding or being with other Gorillas.  Penny ruined Koko's life by denying her a Gorilla Family.  There is no way "professionals" from CZ and AZA/SSP didn't get that, at least in the past decade plus. Bottom line CZ and AZA/SSP abandoned Ndume and because of that TGF feels entitled to keep him.  If it was not for the facts, That Penny and Ron are seemingly and allegedly unfit to care for any Gorilla, That there are no other Gorillas for companionship, and That by all accounts the enclosures are in need of updates, considering the length of time Ndume has lived there (more than half his life) and his age, I would support leaving him there, BUT those key issues are the reason he should be transferred.  He needs to be with other Gorillas.  

This is a mess, and make no mistake poor Ndume is the casualty of all parties, CZ, AZA/SSP and TGF's negligence in providing him the proper compassion and attention for 27 years.   In my opinion all parties did what was self-serving, CZ and AZA/SSP had no use for him in their system, so ignored him for decades and TGF needed a faux companion for their fantasy spin on Koko's life to continue garnering donations.  Ndume has paid the price and will continue to.  

I hope this is sorted out soon, without any further drama.  I pray Ndume will remain safe though this battle, as I have heard from two sources that they would fear for Ndume's life in a custody battle and here we now are. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.