Saturday, February 16, 2019

Orangutans On Their Way?

Usually when I write about something that I find upsetting, its after the fact, meaning after I learned more, see more, etc.,  but with this in recent news, I feel I have to post about it now.  If this happens in the time frame noted in this article, it seems it would most likely be, before a proper habitat is available to them?  That, would make me very upset, if this sweet guy had to live in an inadequate home.
                http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/39966939/erie-zoo-orangutan-heading-west

After I read this initial news article Thursday night, I got increasingly upset and anxious.  I thought about waiting until I had more information, but then yesterday more articles came through my email news alert.  So I'm just going to leave this here and note the things about this that are troublesome.  Maybe the Zoo will enlighten us with some information, since its made the news at Eries's end.  

I have wondered what will happen to Triple Grotto (current home of the Chimpanzees), once full integration of Chimps is done.  As I understand it, when that time comes they will shift the night accommodations of our long-time three over to the new bedrooms that are in the Pachyderm Building, where our new Chimp is already in residence.  The Chimps still like to go to Triple Grotto, its their familiar place, and I think its still to early to take that away from them, even with the new areas.  But that's just me.  ... While I know the old Chimp House needs work, I also know both Skytrails will be attached to it (a second one will run from South Grotto side of house to new yard area at side of Pachyderm Building), so the basic frame and/or foundation of that structure has to remain in place.   I have always thought the best use of the space would be to fill in the moats (and glass/mesh off the perimeter), which would extend the current essentially non-existent topical space of the islands.  I heard there were no confirmed plans for Triple Grotto, and that in the future it might be used as the quarantine and in part for introductions of new Chimps.  The Zoo is planning to add a few more this year.  So, I'm surprised to read Orangutans are on the way.

So that said, my initial emotion when I read this article, was sadness.  Where is this Orangutan and from what the article noted, a second one (for breeding) going to live?  There is currently No proper habitat for them.  Are they going to just be tossed into Triple Grotto, to literally sit like bumps on a log like the poor Chimps were for fifty years?  The Triple Grotto is desperate for a make-over.

When the Chimp Expansion (dayroom and outside yard) is finished and opened, that does not "free up" an exhibit.  Part of the situation surrounding the Chimp disrespect, was that Triple Grotto as it is, is outdated, and not a proper exclusive habitat for any Great Ape.  

Those who have followed the Chimps story will understand, those who haven't, in short,  in 2015,  Zoo Director Tanya Peterson tried to kick our Senior Three out, in favor of bringing in Orangutans. With the loss in 2013 of our precious Tallulah, the Chimps group went down to three, and if the Zoo wanted (?) to keep them, they would have to add to the group, which also meant they would have to upgrade the Triple Grotto and/or build them additional space or the AZA would not send the Zoo more Chimps. For more details you can visit my blog dedicated to this situation ... http://savesfzoochimps.blogspot.com/

I know that Orangutans are in the Zoo's future.  Don't get me wrong, I look forward to seeing these beauties again, BUT I seriously thought that Triple Grotto would be renovated before their arrival.  So again, I have to wonder with drear, where will these poor Beings live?  

The Zoo is currently juggling several projects, so its a curious time for this.  The Chimp Expansion is still not complete.  The Primate staff is still in early stages of introduction of Chimps.  Then new Chimps are scheduled.  They just tore down the Primate Center for the Madagascar project, which hasn't even started.  The Snow Leopard expansion is set to start soon.  And there is rumor that a project using Wild Horses in a therapy program is about to be put into motion.  Don't even get me started on this.  

So, my questions are, where are the Orangutans going to live?  In Triple Grotto as is?  Is there a secret plan to transform Triple Grotto into a proper habitat in the next few months?  Or is the Zoo planning to hoard them away, like the Fossa, while they sit and wait for a proper place to live?  Will they be stuck in quarantine?  In the Hospital?  By all accounts FCC is full, holding Animals that have no other place to live.  As well, I would think it's not designed to hold Great Apes.

As there is an Orangutan on the GAP (Great Ape Passage) sign,  Triple Grotto is the only place they can permanently go, so, I sure hope there is a plan to make Triple Grotto better for the Orangutans, and BEFORE they get here!  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.