Monday, September 6, 2021

Bon Voyage Tucker! - Hippo Moving To Cincinnati

As I mentioned in my previous post about transfers, I first heard about Tucker leaving near two years ago now.  That's how long ago I started writing this post.  

When I first heard this news I was shocked and saddened.  I Love this guy and have since before he even got here. ... Here's one of my first photos of him, coming over to see me!   I didn't realize until I looked at these first photos how much of a babie face he had back then. 

Hi Tucker!  So happy to meet you!

Once I got through the shock and thought about what this move meant for him, I felt some comfort.  Knowing he was moving to the Cincinnati Zoo, home to the world famous Fiona, I knew he would be treated well.  I also knew I would be able to follow him on their social media.  At the time, I didn't know whether he was going to be Fiona's future mate or her Mama Bibi's (confirmed).  Either way, I imagined he will be loved and celebrated, as I remember Bibi's mate Henry (Fiona's Papa), lived together with she and Fiona as a Family.  Tucker would now have a Family.  That is the only thing that is giving me comfort.  So, I hope my vision for his life there is accurate and he is shown the same respect as Henry and not just going there to be kept off exhibit and used as a stud.  I would be suprised if he is not celebrated and treated like a King!  I have always felt bad that he was alone, and him living in a family is what is making this move easier emotionally.

Soon after Tucker arrived at the Zoo, I wrote about the disrespect Tucker received from Management, starting with the moment he got here.  He was crated at Topeka Zoo on a Tuesday early afternoon, for his move to San Francisco Zoo. He traveled over 34 hours (in the crate) by truck and plane. ...  I was told by the Security Guard who was at the Zoo and sat with him all night,  that he arrived at 8pm.  ... The SFZoo Staff did not uncrate him until the following morning.  He was left in the crate, in his feces and urine, an additional 12 hours.  He spent 46 hours in a box that he couldn't even turn around in.  I saw the photos.  Truly Disgusting, and Heartbreaking. 

The next disrespect came with the disgrace of a donor naming him after a Ball Player.  Then when that Ball Player left the Giants, he was renamed after the Coach.  Seriously, What the Friggin' Hell?!  This was 2010 and my first introduction to the renaming epidemic at our Zoo and I was not only furious, but heartbroken for him.

Thankfully Tucker has wonderful Keepers, who take great care of him.  Here's a pic and link to a short clip from his Birthday this past May of him checking out the awesome cakes his Keeper made for him!


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LKhBhJ8Ig&fbclid=IwAR3QBdBolbh17DBsAJzm1uouxkVamoAZGN_5sLFKYb40zcK7OAyjm44o_Tc

So, it is my hope that when Tucker gets to Cincinnati, they will honor his true real name publicly and he can once again reclaim his Identity as Tucker.  ... Tucker is how his name appears in the Studbook and the name his Keepers use.  

I also hope that Cincinnati will be his permanent home, as it will be his fourth and I think that is enough.  There really should be a cap on how many times an Animal is ripped away from their homes, and often mates they are bonded to, and sent elsewhere.

In July, I heard Tucker would be leaving by the end of August, so anytime now.  Initial word was that he would be leaving soon (that was fall 2019), which would have been early 2020 since transfers don't happen much in the winter. Then Covid hit and there weren't transfers being done for most of last year.  I was thankful he was still there when the Zoo re-opened last July.   Since no one knew when he would be leaving,  I treated every visit, like it was my last time seeing him before he left and shed many tears each time.   Here's a video link from one of those times.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=psOoLWyDY7k

If you read my previous post, you'll know it's not the Zoo's usual MO to tell people when an Animal is leaving.  I'm surprised they have said anything in advance of his departure.  Words from the Zoo's press release, have been included in a few news articles.  There are errors.  I find it completely irritating that the Zoo Staff continues to not know the histories of the Animals in their care.  I say that, knowing for fact, it is not the first time.  In Tucker's case, they have said, he came from a Zoo where he lived with his Mother, and that he had no offspring.  The facts of Tucker's history are as follows.  When he was at Topeka Zoo, he lived with a female named Mara.  Mara was on birth-control but got pregnant.  When their Son Vison (now called Tank) was born, there was not enough room to house three Hippo's and Tucker came to SF.  Those are his facts.  Mara is NOT his Mother, and he has already fathered an offspring.  For those interested in following his former Family, Tank still lives at Topeka Zoo, and Mara now lives at Los Angeles Zoo.

As time has ticked on since I first heard this news, all the other things related to his departure, and connected issues, have become increasingly irritating.  I had another part to this post that concentrated that, but I think that I will make it a separate post.  

I'll end this by Wishing Tucker a beautiful life in his new home.  Have a wonderful adventure my friend, look forward to following your journey!  I Love You Sweet Boy!


Previous Post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/09/animal-go-round-why-isnt-public.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.