Sunday, June 23, 2019

Orangutan Update - Amoi Explores New Yard, and Ollie Ventures Out to the Trail! - Name Changes -

Monday 7.8.19

I started this post a month ago, after seeing Amoi for the first time, I think it might have been her second day with access to the trail.  Since then, Amoi has not only accessed the Skytrail, but the new Yard!  Ollie has finally gotten comfortable enough to come out on the trail, and just today Amoi had some fun seeing the Chimps for the first time!  Alot has been happening at the Great Ape Passage!

This video is from that first day I saw Amoi.  She is as pretty as the pictures I saw of her in her previous home and when she moves her hair flows.  She is definitely the Super Model of the Zoo! 

The next first, was getting to see Amoi in the yard!  Which I've now seen a few times!  On my Youtube you can search or scroll for more videos, there's a handful by now!  


While Amoi has been out and about, Ollie has stayed in the house.  That all changed last week, when he came out to the trail for the first time!  So lucky I was there and saw him peek out and then be like, yea, don't think so

As the days passed he became more comfortable and started going out daily, often bringing a blanket and napping out there.  I saw his second day out.  You can view the video here:

And then today, this happened!  This narrative is also on my Chimp update.  While I was standing outside watching the Orangutans, I again wondered if they would ever let them see eachother, like one group in each trail.  Literally a few minutes later, Amoi came out into the trail that connects to the Dayroom.  Same moment, the Chimps started screaming.  It was happening!  They were in full view of eachother!  Amoi ran to the door, as the Chimps hooted and hollered in the windows.  She stopped short of the door, and waved her arms towards them.  When they vocalized, she ran back towards Triple Grotto.  No long after she ran out again, this repeated itself many times.  In the early rushes, she started knocking on the door lol!  and instead of running back to TG, she stepped back a few feet and looked at the Chimps in the window!  I think it became a game for her!  Soon everyone was calm.  Surprising that Cobby once again, was the least animated.  I'm really proud of him how he has handled all these new things.  I was reminded that Our three Seniors had lived side by side with Orangs in the past, and found out Qadeer, had never seen one before!  So, that explained why his reaction was the most high energy.

Will upload full video on weekend, but heres a bit I filmed on my cell from my camera!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCV1tLMW40                                                         
So yeah, of course the Zoo has changed these poor Beings names.  First Amoi and now Ollie.  I never use the new names, so if you follow the Zoo, regardless of what they are calling them, the female is Amoi and has been for her life of sixteen years and the male is Ollie, his name all of his nine years.



I don't often check out the Zoos social media, unless I'm looking to see if something specific has been posted, or its been a couple weeks.  The Zoo posted about Amoi and Ollie, and I of course loved the comments by their fans at the Zoos they came from. Screencaps from the Zoo's Facebook page below. Additionally, I think its rather rude that the Zoo doesn't bother to reply to the comments. 

I've made it no secret that I hate the name changing.  I have blogged about it for almost nine years, since Tucker (Hippo) arrived.  You can search the blog for posts about this if interested.  In short, I don't think any Animal with a name already, should be renamed.  I think offering to put a plaque with the Donor's name, noting that the Animals care is  supported by a donation from X, is a much better way.  No one I know likes the name changing, and obviously its farther reaching than that!

So, any fans of Amoi and Ollie, from their previous home's, make sure to check out my YouTube channel and Subscribe as I visit the Zoo every week and try to post my videos of the week on the weekend.  You can keep updated on your Friends Ollie and Amoi!
                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.