Sunday, July 10, 2022

What's Happening At (To?) Our Zoo - Pt Two - Detailing All The Construction

Note this post is part two.  This is a trilogy and links to part one and three will be included at the end of this post.

There are currently many areas under some sort of construction.  As I've worked on this post, I've had friends who are Members ask me "What's going on...?"   So, at least I know there is some interest past my documentation and personal comments.   It would be a post no matter, but it's good to be able to share whatever I know about stuff.  It would be even better if the Zoo was more forth-coming with what's going on, so it doesn't leave people wondering, especially Members.

>Bird Row


A couple weeks after that downer day I mentioned before, I visited again.  I arrived at what I call, Bird Row (across from Orangutans), to see all the caging being dismantled. I immediately thought, the outdated enclosures were probably noted as a fix by the AZA inspection team.  I don't know that for sure, but it seems coincidental in timing, and the Zoo has never wanted to fix this Need on their own.  Oddly, for some reason I thought the caging was the only thing being replaced.  On my next visit a few weeks later, the night quarters in each of the four? enclosures were being demolished.  That area was soon leveled.  While I assumed installing aviary style enclosures for the Birds would be the obvious plan, no one I asked seemed to know what the plan was for the area.  Unfortunately two of my favorites, Hercules the Great Hornbill and Quetzal the Spectacled Owl are now off exhibit and who knows when or if they'll ever be in public view again.   Would be nice to have a heads-up when Animals are taken off exhibit.  Hercules has been my first stop and "Hello" of my visit for over ten years, and Quetzal who had been moved from the Children's Zoo about a year ago, was just getting comfortable in his new area, only to now be moved again.  If this area had been rebuilt years ago, only one move would have been necessary for him.  

My issue now is that this demolition, has been done at a time when there has been so much construction and chaos to the landscape of the Zoo, and now that its leveled, rumor has it there are no immediate plans for a rebuild.  As I said, I have thought that this may have been dictated as an accreditation fix, but with no rebuild plans, as long as it didn't house Animals, demolition could have waited.

I think my main issue is as I mentioned above, this could have been done years ago, as it is not a new Need.  If the Zoo had been better managed over the last fourteen years, funds could have been raised to do this along time ago, and it would have been because it was Needed, not because it was something they were seemingly forced to do.  Again, the Zoo's priorities of Wants over Needs, together with their lack of fundraising, are both key factors in why this and other Needs are not done in a timely manner, and directly related to the continued downward spiral of the Zoo. 

> The Carousel, Giraffe Barn, and California Conservation Corner

The Carousel closed soon after the AZA accreditation inspection as well.  So again I assume there was a fix issue.  Allegedly there are some wood rot issues.  It remains closed at this time, while work being done is active.

As well, another post AZA inspection project was the work being done on the Giraffe Barn roof.  Allegedly wood rot there too.  Work lasted a few weeks and is done.

It was just all too much at one time.  I get, getting stuff done, but again, if things had been done in a better managed way, all this disarray at the same time and over the last few years, with paths closed off, exhibits closed, animals gone, could jave been avoided.  It just doesn't make for a good showing to visitors, which has to affect attracting members.

Roof work was done to the California Conservation Corner as well.  Now complete.

> Train Tunnel


When I first saw the work being done at the Train Tunnel, it seemed to be another roof issue.  As the weeks have gone on its developed into a build project.  There was a dumpster outside labeled Asbestos, so obviously there was some removal as well as repairs.  Then came the extention to the roof, and the wall to enclose it.  No idea why that was done, but assume the roof situation was AZA related, or just something they knew needed to be done and never did.

> Hippo Enclosure



And then there's the Hippo enclosure shit-show.   This is possibly the worst thing going on there right now.  I can't even with the craziness of this, but obviously I have to.   So, I'm dedicating a whole post to just this.  

See my next post, What's Happening At (To?) Our Zoo - Pt Three - Pygmy Hippo Edition

A couple weeks ago this would have been the end of this post, but now there is more under construction at the Zoo.  On a good note, these are two builds I feel good about, and one I'm hopeful for. 

> New Home for Spectacled Owl



There has been a unused space in the Puente exhibit for several years.  It is finally being renovated as the new home for Quetzal the Spectacled Owl!  So glad he will be back in view.  It looks great.  I hope there will be a shaded area added as he seems to like having that comfort zone.  

I wish they would have done this when they first decided to move him from the Children's Zoo, then he wouldn't have had to move a third time (from CZ to Bird Row to FCC to Puente).  The space has been vacant, and his species goes with the geographical theme.  So yea, less disruption to his life would have been ideal.   Can't wait to see how he likes it!  

Now if they can create a place on view for Hercules Hornbill, all his fans will be grateful. 

> Roof on Komodo Yard

The outside yard meant for the Komodo Dragon is now being covered as a rumored space for the Aldabra Tortoises, Ida and Earl.  While I'm kinda bummed that the Komodo will no longer have the option of a fresh air space, I'm glad that possibly consideration for the Tortoises is being taken. 

When the Komodo exhibit was built, I liked that it had an outdoor yard.  Falcor, the first Komodo to live in this exhibit, made use of the yard on several occasions that I saw, and he really liked it.  I have never seen Sally Komodo have access to it.  Allegedly there was some concern for her being able to climb out.  I have been waiting for them to make adjustments, to prevent that so she could get fresh air, but that never happened.  

Like with the Komodos, the weather has to be a certain degree for the Tortoises to be able to go outside.  In our climate, that is probably less time than more.   When the Tortoises first got to the Zoo they were housed in a holding area in Komodo bedrooms, with access to the yard.   I'd say I saw them in the yard a good portion of the time, but the days they couldn't go out, bothered me as the bedroom area couldn't be an appropriate space for all the time dictated by weather.   I was also concerned about the access door as they grew.  When they first got there no one could tell me what the plan was for them.  I assumed they were going to Madagascar but with continued inquiry that thought has still only been semi-confirmed.  

Last Fall the Tortoises moved to the Farm.  I assumed it was related to (not because of!) my concern about the access door size and their growth.  A great outdoor space for them at this size, but again, the bedroom is not a good size for days they would have to be shut-in. 



Note that since this photo was taken, there has been some thick plastic stripping added to the top half of the bedroom door, the length of the bottom half, which allows them to go into the heated bedroom if they want to.  This may be a situation fix for the door to partially stay open at any temperature.  

So, that brings us to their alledged impending move back to the Komodo area.   I'm all for this roofing project, because it will give them a space they can use daily regardless of weather. Although there would still seem to be a door size issue at some point.  So, I do hope they will be eventually moving to Madagascar.  I cover that in my future MAD post.  If that happens, I hope they can figure out a way to climb proof that yard and remove the roof so the Komodo can have a fresh air option.  Maybe a caging cover like at Fishing Cats.

Update: Since this writing, I have visited the Zoo.  I am happy to report the the roof of the yard includes a mesh panel.  Ha!  The Zoo must have been reading my mind!  So it will seemingly insulate the enclosure to some degree, while also providing fresh air.   My only thought is the mesh panel might have been better placed at one end instead of in the middle?  It seems if keeping the enclosure warm is foremost, having that sheltered space be the majority of the space would best achieve that?   As well, it would make more sense to have open air over the area where the pond is (where I'm pointing in the photo)?  While this seems like a curious design, at least its something that will be useful, and not just sitting there unsed for three years.

Update: Cover added to outside viewing window.


Additionally, a curious but necessary addition was being added to the viewing window at Komodo Dragon a few weeks ago.  An over-head shelter was being built.  In several previous posts I have mentioned the need for more covered areas, most recently in one of my Snow Leopard expansion posts.  In  addition to hating the walk-in viewing in that new build, because it cut into the already limited enclosure space, I noted bamboo being used for the over-head, made absolutely no sense, as it would not provide shelter during inclement weather.  At least this new one appeared to have an actual solid roof being installed.  Now they need to put one outside the Chimp window.

Update:  Back panel added to window viewing


I think this is great for one reason, it cuts down on the window glare, which at most times is so bad you can't see in.  My only issue is the eyesore.  A big dark panel is not aesthetically pleasant.  I hope they plan to have a mural painted on it, to flow with the side walls.  At the very least a coordinating color would have been better. ... It can be argued that my drawing skills need work, but there are talents there that could at the very least paint some grass on a blue background that would blend this eyesore into to the exhibit area.


>  The Space between Rhino and Komodo

This space.  Good grief I've been waiting fourteen years for something to happen here.  So much unused space in the Zoo, but this one is right out there and should have been renovated many years ago.  In 2018, I noted my thought that this space could be an expansion for Gauhati (One Horned Rhino).  Another thought I put forth at one point, was to create a universal temporary enclosure, so new acquisitions don't have to live in inappropriate enclosures or be hoarded away out of view.

Well, recently there has been work being done in there.  Too early to tell, but rumor has it, that west wall may come down and Gauhati will indeed get more room!  Crossing my fingers.

Update: 



Since this writing, I have visited the Zoo.  So, this development is a head shaker.  You can see in this photo that the pool in this enclosure has now had the side built-up.  If indeed the plan was to expand Gauhati's space, this makes no sense.   The topical space should be flat, not have an obstacle?   I would have expected that the pool would have been filled in as there is seemingly no need for a second pool.  So, at this point I have no idea what the plan or logic is.

> New VIP Entrance



I know, what?!   So yea, this is happening.  Two garden areas and two arbor structures.  Money being spent on this I don't even understand.  No offence to the team who puts these garden projects together, they always turn out lovely, but again when there are Animal Needs, these Wants should wait.  So much money has gone into the "Garden" part of the Zoo's title, which was allegedly sought out to attain by Director Peterson, that I think she forgets that the Zoo is an Animal Care Facility.  She even had a garden put in front of the Orangutans to distract (I suspect, the AZA) from that prison pit of an enclosure.  Money that could have gone to the Animals themselves.  I know how pricey garden supplies are, these beautifully designed gardens are not inexpensive to create.

I think I've covered everything going on there.  Some might wonder why spotlighting each one of these projects matters.  For me, it matters for several reasons that are connected to what I've been saying for years.  Our Zoo is Mismanaged.  

So, I end this part by reiterating what I started with and something that shouldn't be forgotten.  If our Zoo had a Director and managing Society, who actually cared about the Zoo's Needs before Want's over the last fourteen years,  upkeep and upgrades would have taken place as Needed, not all at once.   If the Director cared about the Zoo and it's Residents, she would have made sure there were fundraising ideas continuously in motion.  Instead, all I've heard for over a decade is staff being told, "There is no money".   Which now begs the question, where did Director Peterson all of a sudden get money for all these fixes?  She has sure never had any for the Orangutans.

Related Posts...

What's Happening At (To?) Our Zoo - Pt One - Big Cat Grottos ... 


What's Happening At (To?) Our Zoo - Pt Three - Pygmy Hippo Edition ... link tba

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the state of the zoo. I feel they are so out of focus. One thing I would love to see is rescue work like the Oakland Zoo does. I see no reason why we can't have Cougars. I actually mentioned that to a keeper many years ago and she agreed. We have room for the rescue Tigers the Oakland Zoo has too. I feel bad for Hercules being moved off exhibit as he's one of my favorites. Nothing will change as long as current management remains. Thank you for being a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would 2nd that motion of bringing in those 2 wonderful rescued cougars from Oakland Zoo hands down, no brainers! This would be a win-win for both the community and it's zoo.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.