Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Meet Bajkit and Solonga - New Przewalski Horses

Getting back to posts I wrote a couple weeks ago. Finally getting to adding photos and video links.

Also on Halloween day, I got lucky and was told the new Przewalski Horses were out, so I went over to see them.  I've had physical limitations last couple months, so I haven't been that far in awhile.  When I first walked up, their neighbors, the Peccary ladies were lined-up close to the fence, trying to get a look at them!

They are beautiful!  They seem a bit shy, but when I talked to them they stood and looked at me.  So, shy, but curious I think.  

Here's the video of my first view.  You will hear that I had not previously learned how to pronouce this species, which is lame, since I've known for some time they were being acquired.  So for those who are not familiar like me, Przewalski is pronounced, "Shuh-vahl-skee".

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g7_l-1BZs8Y&si=f_nAnVpVHFiVb-em

Our two ladies are Solongo age 14, and Bajkit, pronounced "Bah-keet", she is 19 years old and the darker of the two.  Get to know them, as the Zoo will most likely change their names.  

This video from Brookfield Zoo where they moved to SFZoo from.  This was a great post that talks about the two females as individuals and the breed in general.  It's where I got the pronuciation of Bakjit's name. 

https://fb.watch/osi74kEjg5/?mibextid=NnVzG8

*~*~*~*

Animal update from the same day...  

Andean Condor Claudia, who was moved back down to the main Zoo (to the previous Bobcat enclosure) from an off exhibit enclosure at FCC, has been relocated to the Puente.  When Claudia first arrived at SFZoo she was housed there, but taken off exhibit over four years ago.  

It was a surprise when I happened upon her sunbathing at the Puente.  Claudia is a special friend who I spend extended time with.  She will always comes to greet me, and just hang next to me for as long as I will stay there with her.  

I have a nice video of her flying down to greet me, but for some reason saving to upload to YouTube isn't happening now.  Here's a few screencaps.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*





No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.