A literal spur of the moment thought, minutes prior to the free flow writing of this post, prompted not only the feeling that is the catalyst for this post, but allowed me to let go of dozens and dozens, of notepad documents related to the Zoo. A couple years of notes containing draft posts, thoughts, ideas, research information, gone and now freeing my mind and future time.
The feeling I referred to, is a combination of many things, but all end-up under the umbrella of, Does any of it really matter anymore?
In the greater picture, there was the overall initial optimism that once the Zoo was rid of the former CEO/Director, and with all the past mismanagement identified, real change could be on the horizon. That has proved not to have happened.
The City has not taken the role I would have hoped. That role being the entity that seeks change in the management structure. A restructuring and redefining is certainly in order, yet a year later, nothing has changed. The Zoo Board, RecPark, and Joint Zoo are all continuing as they had in the past. I don't follow politics, but I remember the Mayor making out of the norm changes while building his administration, and I would have hoped he would have done the same for Our City Owned Zoo.
There was obviously a change in CEO/Director, but that is where it ended. While I think there are many thumbs-up in this new leadership, there are also thumbs-down, as I've clearly documented. That is critical criticism, and not meant to knock the new leadership.
The Recreation and Park Department may have a new Manager, but will that change anything in the Park Commission's interpretation of it's role in regard to Our Zoo?
Likewise, the Zoological Society named a new Board Chairperson. Has that done anything to change how the Board views their role as the highest managing entity?
The answer to both those questions is seemingly No.
There are too many factors that have Our Zoo in limbo, and that's not only frustrating, but seemingly damaging to the long-term success of Our Zoo thriving, and that doesn't sit well with me. There is the year long lack of large scale fundraising, when Our Zoo is essentially broke. That lack of fundraising for specific projects that are of current, or immediate future Needs are worrisome.
The current Lion eviction is THE prime example. In 2024, when architect design for Pandas taking over the Lion House were submitted to the City Planning Department, so were plans for a new Lion enclosure. The thing is, there was no design, only location, and only Pandas was initially approved. For me, that confirmed what I thought, there was never really going to be a new home built for Our Lions. That was over two years ago. Once Peterson was gone, fundraising for Lions should happened, and it still hasn't. Why, is the big question. The easiest assumption is, Donors are being courted for Pandas. Our Lions Needs are being stepped over in the chase for Panda Want. And as I understand the process, the Panda confirmation can't come until an enclosure is built, and approved by China. It also seems the consensus regarding future plans, whether a long-term Master Plan, which per the Loan stipulation is July 2027, or any shorter term healing, such as, What's the plan for when Triple Grotto is empty, is something we the public aren't going to get clarification on. The Zoo's silence on seemingly important things on the checklist, are a silence that I have an issue with. By that 2027 deadline, we will be two years into new leadership, possibly with No Lions, No Chimps, and No clarification on Pandas. To me, that just seems like a misuse of time that could have generated funds to save Our Lions.
As someone who has been a visitor my whole life (63 years as of last week), and someone who has monitored all I could for the last eighteen years, I admit I have certain expectations, and will not be happy with all decisions made. There are certain things, like the Lion situation that I find completely unacceptable.
The smaller picture is more personal. In the past, I felt my documentation was doing two things, documenting for future proof of wrong doings, and as an avenue to point out things that needed attention. Both were apparently valid. I was told years ago that management level staff, including former CEO/Director Tanya Peterson, were regularly reading my blog. Evidence of things I mentioned being fixed/done, seemed to support that. As well, a good amount of my documentation, came-up in the 2024-2025 media light shined on mismanagement.
Contrary to the past, I don't think current leadership reads much of what I post, with the possible exception of when I've emailed specific concerns or ideas, which hasn't been lately. Considering they are aware of this blog, and the type of content I post about, I would hope it would be of interest, as in my opinion, all clearly comes from the point of view of someone who cares about the betterment of Our Zoo.
This is not meant to be pompous or self-indulgent, but as simple facts. I am not some rando who doesn't know anything about the Zoo. I very clearly do. I also know I have valid concerns and ideas. Concerns that have been legitimately acted on, and ideas that have been implemented.
During the early years of my deeper interest in all things Zoo related, I became friends with Keepers and learned about Enrichment. I approached the Big Cat Keeper and asked if I could make Enrichment Toys. That led to being approved by Vet Staff and a ten-month weekly toy making adventure. That only ended when Zoo politics interfered. Among other things, along the way, I relayed important health issues I witnessed, and made betterment suggestions that were implemented. One especially meaningful was the removal of planks in the fence at the Farm between the back corral (not on public view) and the sand corral, making a window between, so Animals in back alone, like Slider the Cow was too often left, aren't segregated from others, and left staring at a wood barrier all day. I crusaded successfully to stop Peterson from kicking our three long-timer Chimpanzees out of their home of near fifty years. Even the Fairy Garden, something that was recently referred to by the Zoo, was my idea. So, I do feel I have had some impact of value. I know, I made a difference in the lives of Cobby, Minnie and Maggie. And, if saving Our Beloved Chimp Friends was all I accomplished, I consider that win worth the eighteen years that the overwhelm of caring about Our Zoo has caused me.
Unfortunately, I don't think the asset factor of my intentions are still applicable. That's actually fine, as I hate blogging, I need a break from the weight of feeling like it's important for me to document something, because no one else will. I feel like so many of my words lately are left stagnant, and that's a waste of my energy. I may post again, especially if what I'm currently investigating is relevant, but the light's been shined bright, it will either be seen, or it won't. I hope for the future of Our Zoo, someone sees it and pays attention to it, but no one paid attention to that fence that was left fallen for six weeks, so good luck to Our Zoo, they need it.
*~*~*~*~*~*
This post is one of a trio publishing today.
They mark the end of my blogging as it has been.
Please leave a comment or send a personal note on one of these last posts. Would much appreciate the thoughts and feedback.
This is where I usually post Related links and my Blogger's Statement. Related links (with the exception of the last three), are now up to the reader to search for. This blog has 1000+ posts, covering most keywords for your interest. Use the search box in the upper left corner.
Thank you to all who have taken time to read my words. Hopefully you will return for any one-offs I may post, which I'm sure there will be some. I haven't stopped caring, just need a break in documenting.
Cheers,
Kim
*~*~*~*~*~*
The other two of three...
*Lion Fundraising That Will Never Happen - An Idea And A Rant
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2026/08/lion-fundraising-that-will-never-happen.html
*Long Winded Management and City Officials Bullshit Wrap-Up
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2026/08/long-winded-management-and-city.html
No comments:
Post a Comment