In my last post I noted that I wasn't doing Zoo stuff this week, indicating a break from blogging. I followed through on that, for the preservation of peace during my Birthday week.
That said, the other day it hit me, I need a full-on break. So, I batted out two posts, and am now back on this one, which was intended to follow the last, as it is related to my flow of consistent Lion/Fundraising posts. All three will be published today, and will be the start of my break.
Many years ago I posted an idea for fundraising, based on Art installations that I had become an admirer of. I used Our Zoo's Monarch statue as an example. In my opinion, the Zoo really failed by not taking on my idea all those years ago to do Painted Bears as a fundraiser. I chose Bears because we already have a Monarch Statue that possibly could have been used as the form. That said, we do have a Lion statue!
My interest started when I was in New Orleans in 2000. I happened upon their Festival of Fins installation that included over 200 painted Red Fish statues, in locations around town. I endeavored to see them all, but an unrealistic goal. When I got home, I looked online to find out more about them and see the ones I missed. Learning they would eventually be auctioned off for a fundraising benefit, I immediately thought of The Marine Mammal Center. I contacted them and suggested they do the same but with Sea Lions. They replied and asked to meet with me to discuss this possibility, and my participation. I declined because at the time I only had the idea pitch, no further knowledge on how to make it happen. That wouldn't have happened today, but was the end of that, and unfortunately they never followed through.
To my delight, in 2021 I was driving down Embarcadero and saw a gathering of painted Sea Lions outside the Aquarium of the Bay. They had produced thirty statues in celebration of the thirty year anniversary of the arrival of Sea Lions to Pier 39. This happened in 2019, and somehow I didn't get the memo and I completely missed the event. Thankfully, these have now been installed outside of this corral, and many can also be found along the Wharf.
This painted statue project has been done now in many incarnations. After seeing the Fish in NOLA, NYC followed with the Cow Parade, Louisville did Pigs, Lexington did Horses, and our own City has now done the famous Hearts several years in a row, raising millions of dollars.
Of course this idea has never left my mind. While former Zoo Director Tanya Peterson kept Our Orangutans in caged tubes, The thought of doing Orangutans for a Triple Grotto redo danced in my mind. Over the last several months, my thoughts have been with Our Lions. So, of course this idea came to mind once again. This is a great idea that could raise funds for a new Lion enclosure, so we can Keep Our Lions Home.
Ironically, with my recent posts questioning Why there has been no Fundraising effort specific to Our Lions Needs, this new installation of Crows in Portland came my way last week. This project has some of the best statue artwork I've seen. I especially like the bases used, as they can include information about the project, a QR code for donations independent of the eventual sale of the specific statues, as well as purchasing smaller reproductions of statues and an other merchandise, that would be more affordable.
Including a link to project site, as I liked the detailed information it provided.
https://downtownportland.org/wildwood-follow-the-crows-portlands-new-free-art-trail/
In my post from March 30, I included a notation and graphic that was part of CEO Cassandra Costello's presentation at the RecPark Full Commission Meeting. She stated she wanted to install statues at the corner of Sloat/Skyline at the Zoo's overflow parking lot.
Why can't the funds being spent on at least one of those statues be for a Lion and used for a fundraising campaign of painted Lions, to build them a new enclosure on Zoo grounds, so they don't have to leave?
This is my original design. Our Lions, at home by the beach. Surrounded by pink and orange Dahlias, the official flower of San Francisco. I'm kinda obsessed with how this turned out.
In closing, I just want to express further disappointment that knowing the eventual plight of Our Lions, current leadership and the Zoological Society Board, have done nothing to prevent Our Zoo from losing Our Lions. Tanya Peterson may have created an illusion that Our Lions would be getting a new enclosure with the advent of Pandas taking over the Lion House, but she's been gone a year. A new plan for keeping Our Lions here should have been priority starting a year ago. If it had, they would have probably had enough money by now, but I bet they didn't and don't want to, because any large donations are probably going to Pandas. It's really disturbing that the Needs of the Animals that we already have, and that people care about, are being stepped over in the chase to get Pandas.
*~*~*~*~*~*
This post is one of a trio publishing today.
They mark the end of my blogging as it has been.
Please leave a comment or send a personal note on one of these last posts. Would much appreciate the thoughts and feedback.
This is where I usually post Related links and my Blogger's Statement. Related links (with the exception of the last three), are now up to the reader to search for. This blog has 1000+ posts, covering most keywords for your interest. Use the search box in the upper left corner.
Thank you to all who have taken time to read my words. Hopefully you will return for any one-offs I may post, which I'm sure there will be some. I haven't stopped caring, just need a break in documenting.
Cheers,
Kim
*~*~*~*~*~*
The other two of three...
*Long Winded Management and City Officials Bullshit Wrap-Up
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2026/08/long-winded-management-and-city.html
*Pausing My Documentation and Interest Overwhelm In Our Zoo's Future
iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2026/08/pausing-my-documentation-and-interest.html





No comments:
Post a Comment