Saturday, May 30, 2020

Advice To The Zoo To Seek A Re-Open Timeline Amendment

I have been further researching the situation outlined in my previous post, that being the logic in the San Francisco Re-opening Timeline that was put forth by Mayor Breed on Thursday.

You can skip to new information below in the highlighted paragraph.

To re-cap, per that Timeline, the Zoo will not be able to open until mid-August.  I find that to be unreasonable, since the Botanical Gardens and other Outdoor Museums are allowed to re-open by mid-June, two months earlier than the Zoo.

I have to imagine that Zoo Officials are not happy with this either, loss of revenue as the main concern.  Not being able to be open, especially during the most trafficked time of the year, will definitely put a hardship on the Zoo.  Reduced revenue, will be an issue moving forward anyway, as there will be a limit to daily attendance.

I have been a supporter of all the Orders during this Crisis, so this is not meant to be judgmental toward Government Officials. That said, since week one, I have been increasingly irritated by those who have not followed the Orders, who have been allowed to not follow Orders and/or been exempted from them, and the lack of enforcement.  After the behavior of the masses over the Memorial Day weekend, I have to wonder, Why there is even a Shelter In Place Order, since clearly the masses disregard it?

In addition to my above issue points, the main problem I have with the mid-August re-opening date, is the Zoo's likeness to the type of facility the Botanical Gardens is.  That will be the basis of my position. ... It's also relevant to note that the Zoo has more space, wider paths, making it more capable of implementing distancing.  

Further research has shown that there is a concern for the amount of Visitors and from where the Visitors may be coming in from.  ... I understand that concern, but the logic is curious to me, as I again, note the masses that have flocked to the beaches and parks, The City is not monitoring where people are coming in from, or how many.   

Using the Botanical Gardens as my case point, ... 
The BG will limit the amount of Visitors, which is also part of the Zoo's re-opening plan. ...The BG does not make any notation in their re-open plan that it will monitor San Francisco Residents versus those from out of County, or even State or Country.  In my opinion, that does not connect with the same thought process of the concerns put on the Zoo.  It's just not logical to me.
Screencaps from 
Botanical Gardens site

Suggestion to Zoo Officials...

It might be in the Zoo's best interest to request an amendment to the Timeline, and suggest a tiered Timeline, such as:
Re-opening by mid-June to San Francisco Residents
Re-opening by mid-July to other Bay Area County Residents
Re-opening by mid-August to all Others.

This amendment compromise seemingly would not present any attendance issue, as the Zoo will be limiting number of visitors regardless.  What it will do is prevent further hardship that an additional eleven weeks would cause.

Related post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2020/05/still-sheltering-in-place-what-does.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.