Friday, May 29, 2020

Still Sheltering In Place, What Does This Mean For The Zoo?

For those who follow this blog, you know I've been referring to posts in draft for near a couple years.  At the end of last year, I made a promise to myself, to get this blog up-to-date by spring.  Then Pandemic 2020 hit. 

One would think with extra time because of the Shelter In Place Order, I could still reach my goal.  That hasn't happened.  What has happened is my frustration about the Zoo has intensified. Not my usual worries about it being the best that it can be, but worries about it surviving this Shutdown Crisis. 

I have spent my time the past eleven weeks, lounging about, bingeing shows, reading way too much about Covid related stuff.  The other thing that my mind has spent much time on is the Zoo.  Not just my posts in draft, but all the things I have in my notebook that I have thought of over the past decade, that the Zoo could be doing to make it better.  Many of those things bring in funds.  In the early weeks of shutdown, when the Zoo put forth their plea for funds to feed the Animals, it really upset me, and aside from worrying about if the Animals would have enough food, it frustrated me that so many ideas I've had could have been in place and helping the Zoo, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm hated by upper management, apparently for having an opinion that stems from caring.  Its unfortunate and sad.  The many weeks since then, my mind has been in overdrive with an abundance of new ideas, that could bring in funds.  It's frustrating because it seems so simple to think of things to help, and disappointing that I have seen little to no innovation for fundraising from the Zoo during this desperate time.  I'm not trying to be judgmental, just point out, thinking caps need to be on, especially now. 

As everyone knows, the first Order was only for three weeks. By week two, I was in tears missing all the Zoo Friends, especially My Chimpers, who I thought of first with worry that this could affect them and the other Apes. Too many at the Zoo, yet not the majority, don't get me.  They don't get that whatever I may write, good or bad, it's out of my love for the Animals, and care that the Zoo thrives at optimum, for them.  Outside of my home and my kitten, the Zoo is my passion.  At this stage in life, having done so many other things, all I want is peace and to spend time with Animals.  So, outside my home, The Zoo is the primary thing in my life.  Sheltering In Place has not had any affect on me, other than not being able to go to the Zoo, so not visiting has had a great impact on me.

Unbelievable as we end our Eleventh Week of Shutdown, Eleven Weeks without seeing the all non-human Beings who are such a huge part of my life, its seems it may be another Eleven Weeks before I can see them again.  This breaks my heart and pisses me off.  My Chimp Friends are seniors and I cherish ever visit with them, and am sad for every visit away from them.

So, for the pissed part...  While I have never really followed politics, except for the american shit show that is the buffoon in charge, I don't know much about our Mayor or Governor, in regard to the job they have done.  That probably all sounds, like I'm an irresponsible citizen, when actually, its just not something that holds my interest.  That said, I have been closely following what our leaders are doing during this crisis.  I have supported and applauded both Gavin Newsom and London Breed on the actions they have taken.  I think they have for the most part done a good job, although I have questioned some basic issues.  In recent weeks I have lost faith, mostly because of the middle finger the masses have given to simple orders that will keep us all healthy, and officials have failed to reprimand those who have put others at risk with their actions.  While I think both Breed and Newsom have good intention, I have to wonder if they just aren't in over their heads with continuing to deal with the unprecedented situations with what's going on.  Most likely by no fault of their own, between their conscience, health department guidelines and resistance pressure from the masses, I'm sure its not easy, and my frustrations are not meant to blame or be judgmental, but I have to express them, and especially in regards to the Zoo.  

Yesterday, Mayor Breed put forth the newest guideline for reopening San Francisco.  Of course my main issue, is the Zoo reopening date is listed as targeted for mid-August!  This set me off something strong.  I am beyond irritated at the outrageousness at several things in regard to the Mayor's response to the Pandemic at this point.  I was in near tears, most of the night, because I'm not sure the Zoo can survive being closed another two and half months.  My main question is,  How is it that the Botanical Gardens can reopen June 1st, and the Zoo can't until mid-August?  It is technically the same type of facility.  As well, outdoor Museums is on schedule for the next couple weeks.


Last weekend human misbehavior and the lack of reprimand and enforcement of Orders is what was my final straw for how Government Officials are handling things.  People can flock to the beach, No face covering, No social distancing, and now the Botanical Gardens can open, but the Zoo can't?  There seems to be no reason Why the Zoo can't re-open.

I would not be urging a premature re-open of the Zoo if I didn't think they weren't ready, but I know they are.  They have been making adjustments in preparation, there will be mandatory masks, monitored social distancing, sanitizing stations, closed areas, prohibited touch surfaces, and limited visitors.  Again, at this point in time, there seems to be no logical or valid reason why the Zoo can't re-open.  The Zoo is a more controlled environment than any essential store.  In fact, I'd feel safer there than in a store, where no one even tries to stay physically distanced.

While Government Officials may not consider the Zoo in an "essential" category, it is essential that they bring in some income to provide for the Animals who live there.  It is essential that there are funds for the Animals food, & health and daily care.

Continuing to keep the Zoo closed does not ensure any additional safety to the public, it does continue to make the non-human Beings in their care vulnerable to hardship, because of financial constraints.  Apparently the only thing that matters are the lives  of Human Beings, even when the majority of local humans have proven they don't care enough to help protect others by wearing a face covering and social distancing.  This delay in reopening an outdoor controlled environment that depends on revenue to keep lives thriving is completely outrageous and negligent by the City of San Francisco. 

I surely hope the guideline is fluid to some point and this reopen date for the San Francisco Zoo can be amended.  

You can read the full reopening guidelines here:
https://sf.gov/information/reopening-san-francisco
I also wrote up a Face Covering guideline in detail for my own friends. I have done extensive research, because I want to be as safe as possible.  As we enter into social situations where there will now be more people, I want those that I care about to be well informed.  The guidelines put forth by government officials is not helpful as their mantra from the start has been, Wearing a Face Covering Protects Others.  Well, considering for the past eleven weeks the majority of "others" do not cover their face, other than to get into stores that require it, I am personally not concerned with protecting others. I am concerned with Protecting Myself.  Please see my post in this blog I started about the Pandemic.  Right now, all my thoughts are in draft, of course!  but I have posted the Face Covering info in detail.  Please give it a look, as I want everyone who cares about the Animals, and is at the Zoo caring for the Animals, to be fully protected as things change this Monday.

Face Covering Break-Down - What You Should Know To Protect Yourself
https://mycovidviews.blogspot.com/2020/05/face-covering-break-down-what-you.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes Blogger proves difficult for Commenting. So I am sent Comments to post.

    From Grace ... I like your comparison of the Zoo with the Botanical Garden. Surely the Zoo could follow the same protocol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes Blogger proves difficult for Commenting. So I am sent Comments to post.

    From Andie ... I dont see why the zoo can't open. Everyone should be wearing a mask and social distancing. I worry about the animals especially since revenue isnt coming in. I know there are some great keepers there but worry about whats going on behind the scenes. I also believe the animals enjoy seeing the public.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.