Friday, August 14, 2020

SFZoo Re-Opening - Chimp Yard Safety Update



This post is a follow-up to the previous one, SFZoo Re-Opening - Big Disappointment In Solution At Chimps.  

I visited the Zoo once this week.  When I got to Chimps I was happily surprised to see additional adds to the exhibit area. 

For those who read my previous post, you know that I questioned/suggested that the red circles seen at other enclosures be added to this area, and the required five foot space be a one direction flow.  As you can see, someone there was on the same wave length as me!  Circles and Arrows!  Kudos!  



Only thing I find curious is the circles being half circles and right at the fence.  If the circles were placed a few feet back, leaving that ADA five feet (which would call for the plant to be removed and the last viewing circle to possibly be eliminated), that would then reduce aerosol particle spread, even minimally, into the yard, and also allow for people who aren't in a circle to have a better view.


Now for that tarping situation.  I will say, that the tarping, while still mesh, doesn't appear to be as mesh-y as I interpreted, but if tested would probably still allow for particles to pass.  As well, the issue with it only being in that one part, is still curious and makes the protection incomplete.  I know its the area where the fence to barrier distance is shortest, but still does not account for any of the Apes facing Visitors in other places.  It also doesn't do anything if someone breathes particles at the end of that meshing, as the aerosols can float to the sides and up.  So this continues to be a thumbs down for me. 




It seems it would be better if it was a solid material and clear.  I have used clear plastic floor covering from Lowes, that is very inexpensive (which I assume is a concern with using actual plexi-glass).  Geez, I've used clear Shower Curtains from Target, that would probably work better.  As well a simple Google search turns up many clear sheeting options for low by yard price, although there are Prop 65 warnings on some, and I don't know enough about those dangers, but Animal Care Staff should.  This idea or something like it could go around whole fencing.  People can see through it, and when Chimps or Orangutans are on platforms still view them in open air.  


The current tarp is attached to what seems like a wood frame, and set back from fencing.  I liked this part of the idea, since it doesn't seem like it would pose a problem with the Orangutans especially from reaching out and grabbing at it?  Same can work for clear sheeting.  As well could be taller, covering more space (as current situation is not much taller than average person, hense an aerosol issue), and be less of an eyesore (which is obviously secondary to Safety).

I still observed people at fencing wearing face covering improperly, which is always going to be an issue.  So, it's still my opinion, that for the safety of the Chimpanzees and Orangutans, Visitors should not be allowed at fencing or really, on the path at all until a serious protection plan for them is in place.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.