Tuesday, August 11, 2020

SFZoo Re-Opening - Concerns For Chimpanzee Safety

Mask-Up & Keep Us Safe!

In my previous post, I touched on my big issue in regards to the re-opening, which was my shock and upset that the path around the Chimp yard was open.  

A re-cap ...

> By all accounts,  the path was closed during the Shutdown, so Why is it open now?  I was glad to be able to see the Chimps in the yard, but for their safety, I think it should have been left closed off.  I'm very worried about them being exposed to visitors.  I wrote about concerns I had pre-Shutdown.  

From March 9, 2020 post:

"Last weekend when the news put forth more heightened CoronaVirus scares one of my first thoughts was about people coughing without covering their mouth while the Chimps were at the fencing.  With them being susceptible to the same things we are, I think its a valid concern, but I haven't confirmed that." <

Maybe it's not the problem I think it is, but I doubt I'm off with my concerns.

I have never liked being there and having people right at barrier fence, randomly free coughing into the enclosure while one of the Chimpanzees is sitting at the fence.  Over the years, I've seen it with other Animals as well.  It's disrespectful to all, Human and non-Human.  In the case of the Chimps and other Primates, it also poses health risks, as they are susceptible to the same things we are.  In this current case, I have to imagine, Covid transmission to Great Apes especially is a concern. 

That all said, again, why is the path around the yard open?  The Chimps constantly sit around the fencing.  When the Orangutans have access they do as well but not as much.  Their fencing contact is more often them clinging to the fence climbing, but many times stopping in front of people.  In both circumstances, people being at the barrier fence, face to face with one of the Apes, is a problem.  The problem is two components, that are equal in the potential issue. The fencing distance varies around the enclosure, with some areas that look less than five feet and too many visitors are not wearing masks properly, or at all.   More on Mask issues in the next post.  

View the Great Ape Passage Exhibit here, to see the distance between the Animals and the Visitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOzu2XGzf0

If this is what can happen from one aisle to the next, think about the Chimps sitting at the fencing and the Orangutans climbing on it.

I know that Covid Safety is all new territory for the Zoo and for everyone, and that learning adjustments are being made, but with regard to this enclosure, the risk to the Chimpanzees and Orangutans has been there from the local onset the Virus. 

The first few days when attendance was capped at 800 Members, the Mask offences weren't noticeable, but by Wednesday, which was the first day opening to General Public, and the numbers grew to 1700 (I was told that was the 50% cap), the situation really became a bigger problem, and in my opinion a real concern.

The second week, I was only able to go one day, and it was during an afternoon reservation.  By the end of week three, my three visits had completely wore me out.  I was actually near tears at the amount of people and complete disregard for the rules.  More on that in my Mask post, happening next.  

The last day I was there during week three, I voiced my concern about the Chimp situation to someone in management.  When I arrived last Monday, the start of week four, nothing had changed.  I again spoke with that same person.  I asked what's happening at Chimps?  Met with a confused look, I expressed my disappointment that there were no changes.  I was told they are talking about what can be done, putting up plexiglass was an idea given.  I said that would be good, why is there talking about doing it?  Just do it.  It seems everything there is a long discussion, while urgent situations like this one continue in stagnant mode. ... I asked if they could put red lines around barrier fence like at other exhibits.  I know that there are some short width spots in the path, but if those spots were no stopping zones, it could work?  I was told that ADA guidelines, need five feet passing distance.  I thought of this, not only when I saw the red lines at our Zoo, but a news report about Oakland Zoo's Re-Opening, showed their Chimpanzee enclosure.   From what I remember when I visited years ago, it is basically enclosed in glass, and they have taken great precaution to protect the Chimps, in a similar way. 


In hindsight, I'm now wondering if maybe it would work if there is just no stopping except for in the wider areas where there is distance to have red lines and a few circles like at other exhibits?   


Anyway, I requested, at least putting up some signs at the entrance to the path, both ends, since people have disregarded the one way, do not enter signage.  I know signs don't always work, but they might reduce the problem.  I suggested the sign read something like, Make sure your Mask is on Properly, These Animals are Susceptible to Human Diseases.   He said, good idea and wrote it down on his list. 

I expressed my frustration to a friend, who sent me photos from his Zoo.  They have some good simple signs.  I will post more in another post, but these ones are specific to Animals who are susceptible to Covid specifically. 


Siamang enclosure at Erie Zoo, beyond added barriers.

I came back Monday morning week four and again nothing had changed.  Twenty-Two Days being vulnerable.  Unacceptable. 

In my opinion that path needs to be closed until something is done to protect the Chimpanzees and the Orangutans.

Previous post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2020/08/sfzoo-re-opening-first-day-july-13-2020.html

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



1 comment:

  1. I agree totally with protecting the Chimps and Orangutans from Covid. I don't know why the zoo just discusses things and takes their sweet time in implementing. We have senior chimps. It's hard for me to add to a comment since I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.