Sunday, January 17, 2021

San Diego Zoo Gorillas Contract Covid - SFZoo Animal Safety

Monday was a heavy day for me.  Had a few long conversations about Zoo stuff, including the information about the ICU capacity percentage that is dictating when the Zoo can ReOpen.  Then I heard on talk radio that the ICU number dipped below 1%. Then the news report that the Gorillas at the San Diego Zoo had gotten Covid.  Then that one of the Zoo's most valued (in my opinion) Animal Care Staffers was leaving.  It was alot of bummed out stuff in a short period of time. 

When I heard about the Gorillas, my mind went to three things.  First, sadness that these poor Beings had contracted this virus.  Second, that having them infected, may make Zoos even more vulnerable to ReOpening.  Third, my feeling that our Chimpanzees and Orangutans are in an enclosure that has put them in a risky proximity to the public the whole time the Zoo was open.

If this is the first you've heard about the San Diego Zoo Gorillas, here is a screencap of information from the article linked below it. 



Let's all send some good thoughts their way.  Pray that they all recover without any complications. 

I have long complained that Zoos are not categorized appropriately and are not included with other outdoor facilities, like our Botanical Garden.  Why? has been a legitimate question.  I still think it is, but now wonder if State Officials won't use this transmission incident as yet another reason to keep Zoos closed.  If there is indeed a risk factor of transmission From the public To any Animals, of course their safety should be the top priority.  It would seem that is something each Zoo would have to identify themselves based on the enclosure distance and barrier type. 

As I mentioned our Great Apes enclosure is something I've written about a few times. I need to reiterate previous concerns as they are more valid now than ever.

This is the most recent post regarding the subject. 

The above link is pretty comprehensive, so I'll try to make this as condensed as possible.

The barrier fence around the yard is varying distances from the open air fencing.  At some points, it is definitely less than six feet. When news of the virus broke in early March, I was concerned about people breathing on the Chimps, as they often sit right at the fence.  When the Zoo shutdown a week later, I was told that the path around the Chimps had been blocked off, I assume to all staff who didn't need to be in that area.  When the Zoo reopened, I expected the path would still be blocked.  It was not.  Not only was it open, no adjustments to shield the vulnerable portions of the fencing had been made, and there was no additional signage to indicate the Apes (Orangutans also use the yard), were vulnerable to Covid, indicating visitors needed to be masked at all times, especially in that area.  I complained in person and in blog posts.  I relayed that a barrier at the very least in the most vulnerable point, and Covid Vulnerable signage, were needed.  A flimsy shield did go up, but no sign, until a couple weeks later when Keepers put their own. That sign was taken down, allegedly by management. The Zoo was open just over four months, and every day people with their masks off gathered in front of the fence while the Chimps sat against it, unprotected.  

In light of this awful news from San Diego, I am even more furious that my concerns were not taken seriously.  It is very upsetting to think our Chimpanzees and Orangutans were left vulnerable for who knows what reason.  

When the Zoo does reopen, I hope better precautions are taken to protect the Chimp yard, and All Animals that have barriers where people can be at a distance of less than six feet.  Even six feet in my opinion isn't enough, if we are going by the documented aerosol travel distance of up to thirty feet.   One guideline I saw recommended six feet if both are masked, thirty if unmasked.  There aren't many enclosures that allow less than six feet, but special attention to the Chimp yard,  Snow Leopards, and Bobcat, should especially be taken into consideration as both Ape and Cat species have been infected.  AND if the Chimp yard path remains open, which I don't think it should, they really need to have a clear barrier, plexiglass or plastic sheeting, that goes around the entire perimeter, not dark mesh in one portion.  AND the Covid Vulnerable Signs are a must at both entrance points.  It's outrageous that this even has to be said.   

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.