Friday, April 21, 2023

Status At Big Cats > Updated 5.9.23

As of two weeks ago, male Lion Jasiri was still alone, and the second expanded Cat Yard remained empty.  

Here is my post from last month regarding Jasiri.

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2023/03/concerns-for-our-lone-lion-how-long.html

At that time there seemed to be mixed knowledge of the future of Cats at our SFZoo.  Will they or won't they acquire a companion for Jasiri, which is my main concern, and another Cat species for the empty enclosure.

My take on the lack of information, is that it's rooted in the mismanagement cog that is the lack of communication to and among staff. I've asked this question on posts before and I'll ask it again, Why is everything a secret?  If upper management is actively searching for a companion for Jasiri, why isn't that common knowledge?  

That all said, it was pointed out to me last night that this appeared on the Zoo's Auction site.

I was surprised to learn this as the long-time rumor has been that the Zoo Director allegedly did not want to aquire anymore Big Cats and specifically Tigers after losing our Tigers to San Diego.  That happened as a result of San Diego owned Teddy being moved to SF for breeding with our Jillian, but after several years that didn't happen, so allegedly SDZ repossessed Teddy, taking Jillian with him, as both were very high on genetically valuable list.

As you can see, as with every Animal that moves to SFZoo, the Jaguars will have their identity stolen and be renamed.  I hate it, and that's no secret!

This is the female, Sasha. ... See Update at end of post.


screencap from 
Sacramento Zoo Facebook

This is the male Tikal.


screencap from Flickr user Elena
(who like me, is a fan of Zoo Friend history.
I've been following her for many years.
View her photostream, especially 
if you're a fan of Big Cats!)

I am looking forward to meeting these two beauties.  I've been a long-time admirer of this species, but never had the pleasure of meeting a traditional colored Jaguar.  The Zoo had a black Jaguar named Sabrina for many years who was a favorite of mine.

I encourage you to preserve their identity and greet them using their real names.

And now we wait for news of a companion for Jasiri.

Updated 5.9.23 ... I have learned that while this pair was a breeding pair at Sacramento Zoo, their union was allegedly unsuccessful. This aligns with why only the male has been acquired by SFZoo.  So, I'm assuming maybe this pair is being split-up, and a compatible female is still being identified.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.