Saturday, May 20, 2023

Wolves Interacting With Domestic Dogs At Zoo

Before I get into the incident that happened this past Monday which prompted this post, I will start with the signage.  

So, when I walked past Wolves on Monday I got closer to this sign. I don't know how long it's been up, but I think I may have only seen it for the first time the week before.



While I'm all about signage, and have no problem with this, I think this is really curious especially since the Wolves have been here for over seven years.  I learned when the Wolves first got here that the Zoo was in partnership with the government wildlife department and that there were guidelines about a hands off approach to caring for them.  So, it was always curious that the enclosure was designed to have the walk-in area, as well as sixty feet of glass right at the habitat, with no visual barriers to break it up.


As well, starting from their arrival I complained in person and in this blog about people howling at the Wolves, yet it was ignored.  It took over three years for signs not to howl at the Wolves to go up. 

Anyway, when I circled back, I saw a guy with two Domestic Dogs in the walk-in area.  


This bothered me.  Not only is the same sign right next to him, and he like everyone else who disregards signage, gave it the middle finger, but in this particular case, the case of Service Animals at the Zoo, and the Zoo apparently takes no real stand on guidelines.  

Let me explain further.  Three other instances come to mind from previous years.   The first was a woman who wanted her Dog to have eye to eye contact with a Tiger.  The Tiger saw the Dog go by and ran to front of yard, stood on rock and was very interested.  The Dog saw the Tiger and wanted no part of it, yet the jerk owner dragged the Dog to the window.  The second, a similar situation in the Chimpanzee Dayroom.  I questioned this and was told it was ok and enriching.  Maybe that's a valid viewpoint.  In my opinion, especially with the Chimps, they are so sensitive to upset, I don't think chancing them get worked up and possibly turn agression on eachother is something that should be allowed.  The third, a woman at Snow Leopards let her small Dog roam free, while she was several feet away, while it went in and out of the bushes that bordered the fencing.  The Snow Leopard was stalking the Dog and if the Dog went to the fence line that situation could have been very bad.

I have also questioned in the past what the guidelines are for Service Animals, and have been told there are certain places they can't go, etc.  After this weeks event, I asked again and wanted to know what the rule was specifically at Wolves considering the signage.  I was told the same as before, specific areas can't go to, Bear window was one, but unknown if map had been updated since Wolves!!  What?  Not in seven years? Unbelievable. Well not really, but you know.   Anyway it's all noted on a map given to people with Service Animals, which I could not have.  So I'm left with only this as the written rule posted on the Zoo's website. 


This seems too vague to me.  There should be more rules.  In my opinion Service Animals should no be allowed within six feet of any Animal enclosure.  I would have said five but given Covid guidelines everyone should now know what six feet is.

So, Monday.  After the guy was in the walk-in area he went to the front.  You can see the red line from Covid safety still there, and it was crossed, by him with his Dogs at the window barking at the Wolves.  The Wolves were circling and both sides interacting.  As I got closer to film, people around were telling him not to do that.  You can hear me tell them to complain to the Zoo about this.  View my video here:


The interaction to start seemed more curious on the Wolves side, so obviously not detrimental, yet still not following the rules as stated on the signage is an issue.  But then there's this that I captured.


Both the Wolf and the Huskey seem to have their ears down and the Wolf showing teeth. I find this completely unacceptable to have an animal on the defensive in its captive home.

Of course I called Security, but still this shouldn't happen.  Yes people are going to ignore rules and signs, but the Zoo also needs to have better and more specific rules in place.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*










No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.