Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Primate Curator Disrespects Chimpanzee Who Passed Away

I wrote this last night, but fell asleep before proofing and publishing. ... It certainly doesn't express how upsetting the conversation was, or how angry I am.

~ ~ ~

To say I'm livid, is an understatement.  Today I had a conversation I never would have expected.  Almost twelve hours later, and it still hasn't left my mind.  I'm extremely upset, and really sad for the memory of a Zoo Friend who was very dear to me.  

Those of you who know me, can surely imagine what I really want to say vs what wording will end up here in a public post.  I have no pleasantries when confronted with anything perpetrated in words or actions against Animals.  

This was my first Zoo visit in a couple weeks.  When I came round to Chimps, I stopped at Minnie's Memorial, as I have since she passed away in May.  I always say a few words to her, as well to Cobby, Jamie, and Tallulah, who left us before her.  

As I came round the Chimp yard, I saw someone coming from the night quarters building.  I had recently heard we were getting three new Chimpanzees, and depending on who it was, thought I might ask, what Zoo they were coming from.  Since I wasn't sure who this guy was, I thought I'd lead with a question, that I already knew the answer to.

Before I continue with the conversation, I'll note that I confirmed with him, that he is the Primate Curator, Robbie.  I've only talked to this guy once, maybe twice before.  There's been alot of new Animal Staff in the last few years, and people keep changing around, so sometimes, I'm not sure.  In light of what transpired, I wanted to be very sure.

So, I entered into the conversation by asking, how Maggie was doing.  For those who don't know, Maggie and Minnie came to the Zoo together in 1970 at approximately one year old.  They were very bonded, living together their whole lives.  They spent over fifty-four years as "sisters".  I had worried about Maggie, but after a few weeks, I started seeing her interact normally with others.

What came out of this guy's mouth is shocking!!!

He said, ...

"Maggie is doing great, it's better without Minnie".  

"It's good that Minnie passed away..." 

"Minnie was mean..." 

"Minnie caused problems and was troublesome ".  

I seriously couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I don't even think I responded, he just kept talking, and saying her name, followed by horrible words about her.  My Soul was hurting for her, as I was listening to him.  

I'm disappointed in myself not to have said anything on the spot, but it's probably better I didn't.  At the very least I should have said, Those are really shitty things to say, even though that's not even close to strong enough.

As somebody who has known our original Chimpanzees my whole life and had a connection with Minnie, I was so upset by what I was hearing.  It was Disturbing to hear someone who is in Animal Care and directly in charge of the department she's in, speak this way of a beloved member of the Zoo Animal Family, who together with Maggie, was the longest Resident of the Zoo. 

Minnie gave her life to the Zoo.  She deserves respect.  She was taken from her wild family as an infant, most likely right off her Mother's body, possibly even seeing her family murdered.  Taken into the Animal Trade and sold to the Zoo.  She lost two babies, and the two that did survive were taken from her, to be hand-raised and put on display.  A few years ago, she lost her mate, the father of her babies, and a companion since she arrived at the Zoo over fifty years.  This was a Lady, a Great Ape like Humans, like your mother or grandmother, and these are the words this guy has for her after her passing?  Beyond Disgusting.

How dare he makes such comments about her! This guy shouldn't even be working in Zoos, and certainly not in Animal Care.  Seriously, he is new-ish in that Department, and he's bashing her character, without even really knowing her, let alone at all?

I don't care what the current dynamics have presented, someone, especially in that position should not ever be saying such disrespectful things.

Unfortunately it seems the Zoo allows people who should not even be working at an Animal Care Facility to hold positions in management.  I previously wrote about HR VP Vitus Leung, who I heard call an Animal "ugly".  He got promoted to Deputy Director.  No surprise since we have a Zoo Director who obviously doesn't even care about Animals, since she's committed many Animal Welfare offenses, most recently keeping Orangutans in cage tubes and not only thinking it's okay, but making jokes about it.

This guy, Robbie, picked the wrong person to express his opinions about my precious Minnie to.  He's lucky I don't work there, or have any authority, because I would have fired him on the spot.  

I'm not going to lie, things have crossed my mind, all falling under the main thought, ... If someone can say such things, how can they be trusted to care for our Zoo Animals and without sinister intentions towards those they think are problematic?

I will end this now, because my ears are pulsating, and say this,... If the Robbie guy thinks he may want to approach me about my documentation of our conversation (when this is not about me posting, it's about his own words), he should think twice, because I'm having none of that.    

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*









1 comment:

  1. On behalf of all of us who are deeply invested in the well-being of the animals at the SF Zoo, I would like to say, it will be a great day when Robbie’s career as a curator dies. It’s a very small human who voices such negative opinions of a beloved primate member in his care. And I’d gladly say it to his face.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.