Friday, August 21, 2026

World Orangutan Day Secret Party - Note To Zoo... Celebrations Are Fun For All!

Last Sunday, I posted a "pause" in my documentation on this blog, in an effort to free my mind, time, and energy.  It has started working to some degree, but I know it's going to take some time.  

Monday, I visited the Zoo with a friend who is a longtime Member.  As we walked around enjoying the Animals, we talked about a lot of the fails and challenges.  We both have cared about Our Zoo for a very long time.  Since I visit more often, and have immersed myself in everything Zoo for eighteen years, I of course would point out issues, share ideas, and answer her questions.  A couple things, went straight to the part of my mind that made notes for blogging.  It's hard to shake.  I shared that with her and noted that prior to last weekends sudden move to pause, I had thought the path I should try would be to resurrect an older blog where I just posted a short entry with a photo in a running commentary.  It was intended to share the good stuff.  I liked that style.  And last weekend I forgot about that option, and reconsidered it.

My visit Wednesday, had me chomping at the bit to write a post.  It's still nagging at me, even though I've tried to resist and continue to push ahead of the withdrawal symptoms, especially since what irked me was a repeat of what's already been said.  Last night I thought a good compromise would be a monthly wrap-up.  This morning, while I think that's a doable goal, that might have to start next month.  

Apologies for my small steps to freedom, and this rehash of a tired subject.  Holding it in, takes up more energy than putting it out there.

World Orangutan Day was Wednesday.  Admittedly, I forgot.  I used to know all the Awareness Days, and Birthdays, but in the last couple years of overwhelm, aside from a few, I don't remember the dates much.  I have made a decent list, and had them noted on my calendar to-do listing, but rearranged that as it was too long, and so I don't see the notations, and miss possible celebrations for Awareness Days and Birthdays often. Anyway, I woke-up that morning to a message a friend sent me of Our Orangutan Ollie's Mama Dasa and Brother Otis from his home Zoo in Erie.  Lucky I saw that message at 830a and was reminded it was Orangutan Day.  I had already thought to go out and see Boomer (Emu), so I jumped out of bed, jammed, and got there just in time for opening.

Again, in my opinion it's a fail that the Zoo didn't post anything in advance, had no awareness signage at entrance, or conservation pop-up table at enclosure.

As I walked thru the gate house, two sandwich boards were in view.  I was reminded of an idea I posted before about there being a sandwich board letting the public know about Awareness Days.  "It's World Orangutan Day!  Make sure to visit Our Orangutans!".  Additionally, noting if there's a celebration or Birthday party scheduled.


Not doing any of these things just seems like more missed opportunities to endear the public to Our Animals, build Community, and in this case, Educate about plight of wild Orangutans. It was a wonderful party for Ollie and Amoi, and happy I was able to enjoy and celebrate with them, but geez when will Our Zoo get it together, and understand the value of giving the public a heads-up for these celebrations?  I know I'm not the only one who enjoys seeing the Zoo Friends having fun with enrichment toys and items these parties provide.  

As I stood there watching Ollie and Amoi, I heard people behind me who were walking up to the enclosure, "It's World Orangutan Day".   I even overheard a Docent nearby say to a Staffer they didn't know.  

Noting this as a fail to a staffer, they suggested that maybe it would take time to get a system for these things going, after being held back from celebrations for so long under the previous management.  I can understand that in some ways, and certainly respect challenges in coordination, but I also look at how easy some of these things are to do, and have seen them done, and want the consistency of that for the betterment of Our Zoo.  

These celebration events are coordinated between Keepers and PR, why does the disconnect stop there?  There has been advance notice for Gorilla's Bawang and Cecil Birthdays, but none for Dara's.  It can't possibly take much to make a social media post.  While the Conservation gal may be off on certain days, so a pop-up might not always be an option, even though there are others that work in Conservation.  Why isn't there a Docent out, or a Keeper Talk?  As for signage, it doesn't take much to write out a sign to post at entry.  A blackboard with colorful chalk writing is all there needs to be, and anyone on staff can put that out.  

How is doing these little things, not a consistent thing, and not recognized as a valuable asset and tool to endearing and educating our Zoo going public?




No comments: