Wednesday, October 7, 2026

If The Zoo Had Funds Pt Two - Where Should They Build A New Lion Enclosure?

My last post was meant to be the wrap-up of my last four posts focusing on the Zoo's choice to Rehome Our Lions and Chimpanzees.  I felt the obvious final documentation should be the possible sites for new homes here at Our Zoo. Anyway, if you've followed along, you know that didn't happen.  If not, do give the Pt One a read.

The following, of course could only happen pending major funding, which could seemingly only come from an investment by the City.

So, continuing on, this is that post.  It will cover info and photos pertaining to my personal thoughts about this.  I know it's all purely wishful thinking, but you never know, so I put it out there just in case.  

I'm going to start this post with Our Chimpanzees, since their situation is solely rooted in a raze and rebuild on the Triple Grotto site, and whether they can be temporarily housed elsewhere during construction.  

Creating a Temporary Enclosure for Our Chimpanzees

When I first thought of this temporary housing idea, only one place came to mind... The enclosure adjacent to Mandrills. Some might remember this enclosure when it housed Patas Monkeys for over a decade, until they got caught up in the mass Monkey exodus of 2018 at the onset of the Madagascar disaster, even though their home was not part of that project.  I still believe their transfer was a retaliation by the former CEO/Director for the rightfully so Keeper driven media expose concerning the health of the youngest Patas.  After their eviction, that enclosure was empty for a couple years, until Sureshot the Bald Eagle was moved there.  After her passing, Lando the Fox lived there briefly.  It has since been empty, again for a couple years.  At one point I was told this space could no longer house Monkeys as is (open air).   So, netting this enclosure over would have to happen in the future to bring back a Monkey species, or Siamang.

Thinking of this enclosure for temporary Chimp housing, my first consideration was space.  This aerial view shows the size compared to the Chimps current yard, and the miniscule islands the Orangutans live on for good measure.



You can see this enclosure is huge in comparison.  Plenty of space for two Chimpanzees.  Netting it over for containment, would not just serve as a temporary housing, but also be ready to use for a future Primate.  So this would also be an investment in Our Zoo.  The only thing it would need built is a night quarters.  The one built for Chimpanzees in the Pachyderm building is a large space, but that can't be used as a guideline, as this is for two, not a troop, and will house a smaller species in the future.  I can totally see it as a viable option.  

Building a New Enclosure for Our Chimpanzees

There is only one option, the site of Triple Grotto.  Over the years I have done mock-ups of thoughts for that space, that included more components than necessary for what now could just be a first phase on the North/West side.  Ideal use of the space, but taking into account funds, construction time (considering Chimps in temp housing), my current concentration is on two components, a yard and new night quarters.  Basically, raze the entire site, and initially rise the north side that front faces the main path between the Cafe and the Pachyderm Building.  

Front Facing View
Front Facing Aerial View

There is an existing design that was seemingly dug out of the vault at the time of our (now passed) senior Chimpanzees eviction threat eleven years ago.  It was an elaborate design, with two levels, ramps and some other seemingly unnecessary bells and whistles that I consider aimed more at visitor accommodation than the residents.  I hope that if and when this site can be rebuilt, that old design is not pulled out again, and a simple, yet modern enclosure is designed.  Ideally I'd like to see most if not all the space of North and West Grottos a large landscaped area.  The only other build that seems necessary is new night quarters, and somehow that area will allow for continued open end of the SkyTrails either for some future use, but for Keeper use, as I expect the trails to remain accessible by the Orangutans.  

Additional notation. If funding became available for this project, it could be rebuilt for either Chimpanzees or Orangutans.  Observing both species, I think Our Orangutans would make use of the Pachyderm building Chimpanzee Yard netting and Dayroom window, something Our Chimp boys don't do.  From what I understand the Night Quarters in there were designed and built to accommodate multiple Chimpanzees and introductions.  In building a new night quarters on the Triple Grotto site, the same would have to be done for Chimpanzees, yet assuming less for Orangutans?  That could possibly be a cost factor to consider.  That said, female Orangutan Amoi, really enjoyed climbing on the netting when she had access to the Chimp Yard.  If Triple Grotto were to be built for Orangutans with Chimps retaining the Pachyderm enclosures, she would probably really benefit from it having netting.  OR a fantasy for whole area that I think would be cool and would make use of the SkyTrails, in a way they have not been used.  Having the Orangutans occupy the Chimp Yard, and construct a Dayroom and Night Quarter for them on Triple Grotto South, while the Chimps would have the Pachaderm Dayroom and Night Quarters and the new Triple Grotto Yard.  


Sorry for digression.  I intended to stay on locations only, but these are valid observations and decent ideas, and I do not plan to do additional posts about this, so leaving it here.

I have created this Need around Chimpanzees because they're the ones facing eviction.  What's important now is a new outdoor enclosure and a new night quarters needs to be built to keep Our Chimps here.  Having two appropriate Great Ape enclosures is what is needed.  Continuing to have only one for the last eleven+ years, has been and remains, unacceptable.  

I will not include the current CEO, or Mayor in this, but the Board with long-standing members who have known about the status of Triple Grotto, some since the 1997 Bond, and certainly since 2015 when our senior Chimps faced eviction, they all have known about this dire Need. 

Building a New Enclosure for Our Lions

When thinking about possible space for a new build, one of the factors I considered were spaces with existing soft surfaces, which would seemingly be a pro in regards to construction cost and completion time.

Savanna

Like with the Chimpanzee enclosure plans I mentioned, the Zoo dusted off and put forth plans allegedly from over twenty years ago, as the proposed location for a new Lion enclosure, when it was announced that Pandas would be taking over their home in the Lion House.  For that reason, I'm going to note this space first, even though it would not be among my first choices.  These plans were allegedly part of the original Savanna design.  




I am not a fan of this location.  That said, if it's the only thing that's going to keep the Lions here, I'll be happy with it.  I just think there may be other options to consider.

My issues are,...

I don't like how it seems to be partially inside the existing Savanna enclosure.

It's in an isolated area where visitor behavior can't be constantly monitored.

You can see in the outlined area above, that whole area is covered in trees that would seemingly have to be cut down, and that feels like a huge fail.  Here are a few examples of some of the forested areas, taken at the proposed site.


      

Disrupting that whole peaceful, and pretty area not only doesn't seem like the best path forward, it seems like it would be a long and costly endeavor to literally clear a forest.  But again, if that's the only space being considered, then that's it. I'll be happy with whatever materializes that keeps them here.

Bongos

I'm looking at this area, as someone many years ago mentioned to me that it was a future consideration for Lions.  I don't remember why that would have even been a thing at the time.  That said, this space is my favorite, but comes with factors that could make it not a favorable option.  Number one obviously is it's occupied.

I'm obviously not a fan of displacing Animals from their homes, so it feels wrong to even have this as a proposed option.  For one, the Bongo's seem very content and peaceful in this space.  Additionally I know they have a breeding recommendation, and a couple weeks ago one of the Ladies looked bigger around the mid-section than usual.   If there is a pregnancy, obviously these Animals should not be moved, regardless if there is another appropriate space for them at the Zoo or not.

I originally thought of the Old Southgate area that used to house several species of Hoofstock.  It's been unused, and close gated for at least a dozen years.  I went on a Bird long ago that took us down that path.  It was in really bad shape, unkempt and overgrown.  I think that has changed some since the Therapy Horses moved in on the  north side of the path.  Whether or not the east side contains space that would be appropriate, I don't know. ... Photos later in post.

Then what I think to be a better idea popped into my mind. Again, whether appropriate or not, I don't know, but I do like this idea.  If no factors preventing a move, maybe the Bongos would do well at Savanna?   They could have that whole north side where Kudu used to be.

What I like about the Bongo area is that it already has a landscaped green space, relatively and seemingly flat surface, and good size main space with additional surrounding space for a night quarter build.  All outlined in red.  The blue shows additional areas that are occupied by horticulture, that could possibly be moved elsewhere.


On an empathetic note, I'm not a fan of the Lions looking out and seeing other Animals living in their former home, but it's better than them leaving Our Zoo and not seeing any familiar faces.

Old Monkey Island/Outdoor Dining 

This was a new idea from last week, that again, just popped into thoughts as I was thinking of available soft spaces.  The green space pictured and the adjacent Old Monkey Island area.


Only concern is how the train whistle might affect the Lions and how the Lions roars might effect the Binowee Birds.



There is seemingly enough space for a yard in the soft surface side (which is across the path from the north side of Pachyderm Building), without having to cut down trees, and a night quarters can be built on the cement surface where useless dining seating is.  I can imagine this.

Old Black Rhino/Unused

Even though I'm listing this space, I can't really imagine it, but maybe because I've been imaging it for other Animals.  That said, what I can personally imagine isn't relevant.  It has a lot of flat surface space and could expand in the future for other Cats.  That said, I've also imagined the Black Rhino moving back there.  I'm not a fan of the current Black Rhino area and considering future breeding is still in play, the size of that space can only be a good thing.  The future could then see current Black Rhino expand for Cats or return of Hippo in larger space with under water viewing.   Those things are in a time far, far, away.  Right now, it's Lions and Chimps.

For those unfamiliar, this space is adjacent to Grizzly Gulch going south.

View from over the fence

Old Hoofstock


It's been years since I've walked back there   And it wasn't in great condition at that time, so I don't even know if that's a viable area for Lions, Bongos, or anyone else.


I didn't think to take photos over fence, but I had this one, taken from path between Therapy Horses and Camel/Przewalski's Horse

That's all I got.  Where do you think a new Lion enclosure could be built?  Ideas, Feedback, and Insider thoughts welcome!

Whether or not there is funding at this time, thinking about the possibilities and not ignoring them is an optimistic approach to seeing Our Zoo reach its potential.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

If The Zoo Had The Funds Pt One - Why Can't Our Lions & Chimpanzees Stay Here?

> Related Posts:  Use Search tool in upper left corner, keyword "Lions" , "Chimpanzees" , "Chimps" , "Pandas"

> Comments:  Note that Anonymous Comments are accepted.  I moderate all comments before publishing.  If you are using this form for a non-publish correspondence, please note "Personal" on it.  Thank you for your participation and/or feedback.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I used to use (search) labels, but too often forget.  I started noting "Hot Topic" in title, but fell lax on that.  Now I'm just going to add labels, keywords, etc., here at the bottom with hashtags.  Does it help in searches, who knows.

#SanFrancisco , #SanFranciscoZoo , #Zoos #SanFranciscoZoologicalSociety  , #SanFranciscoZooCEODirectorCassandraCostello , #FormerSanFranciscoZooDirectorTanyaPeterson , #SanFranciscoRecreationAndParksDept , #FormerSanFranciscoMayorLondonBreed , #SanFranciscoMayorDanielLurie , #AssociationOfZoosAndAquariums , #AZA , #SpeciesSurvivalPlan , #SSP , #Animals , #Wildlife , #Nature , #AnimalWelfare , #AnimalCruelty , #AndeanBear , #KomodoDragon , #Chimpanzees ,  #PatasMonkey , #Fossa , #Orangutans , #Barriers , #PerimeterFence , #Pandas , #Bison ,  #Gorillas ,  #Lemurs , #Lions










No comments: