Saturday, January 1, 2022

Follow-Up Thoughts To The Naples Zoo Tiger Tragedy

I'm not even sure this is a necessary post, but there were thoughts that I left out of my post yesterday, that after further reading about the event, kept them coming back to mind. 

After publishing the previous blog post, I went to both the Naples Zoo and the Collier County Sheriff's Office Facebook pages.  I didn't know what to expect, but I guess I was curious what people's reactions were.  It was a very different experience than the one I had after our SFZoo Tiger event in 2007.

For those who don't know, I was there that Christmas Day.  I had two places I always went on the Holiday.  If I had went to the Zoo last, I would have been there about when those Fkers were there taunting, first the Lions, then Tatiana and her mate Tony.   You know I would have put an end to their shit right quick!  I have the last photo of Tatiana, peaceful and enjoying the sun.  2:48p. 

It was 5:30p when I got home and turned on the news to hear the horrifying report that Tatiana had been killed.  How could that be?  I was just there.  What happened?  It was very surreal.  The reporters noted that at that time it was unclear whether the other Tigers were accounted for.  This I couldn't understand.  

At the time, even though I had been a lifelong visitor and member my whole adult life, I did not spend the amount of time that I have following that event.  I didn't know the Animals by name, but that didn't matter.  I knew them.  I felt connected to them, and this event was soul crushing.   Even though no details as to how this all played out were given, I immediately knew she lost her life because of bad Human behavior and I was outraged. 

Just like with Eko, I sought out what other's were thinking and saying.  That Christmas night and for what seemed like a long time after, I read every news article.  Where I really made a mistake was for the first time I read comments. The sfgate ones were infuriating.  I spent hours, correcting info and defending the Zoo.  One night, my efforts lasted til after 4a.  Not only was I heartbroken about her death, but I felt bad that the majority of the comments, blamed the Zoo.  At the time, I didn't know any Staff and I've never asked those I have known since about it.  I did hear some stories after from reliable sources that the Zoo had known for decades that the Tigers could not only get out, but were seen peeking out of the shrubbery in front of the barrier.  That said, even after what happened, I would not have felt unsafe standing in front of that enclosure.  Now, if some jerk had come by and worked the Tigers into a frenzied state, which is what happened, I might feel different.

I won't get into all my feelings about this event, it's past and I've written about it before.   I always hate when the media drags poor Tatiana out every Christmas.  This year, it was noticeable that didn't happen.  When I realized it, I said out loud, finally, no Tatiana story this year.  The only reason I'm bringing it up is, I can't help but compare certain things in the two events.  

As I noted at the start, I did read many of the comments on the Sheriff's page.  A completely different experience.  The majority were outraged that the Police had shot Eko.  Rightfully so.  It was refreshing to read posts of similar feeling.  Of people who questioned some of the same things I had.  The commenters during Tatiana were awful.  For the most part these people were compassionate and thinking logically.

If you read my previous post, you know that I unintentionally watched the video that showed the moment Eko was shot in what looked like the head. It was horrifying and scarring to see.  I also noted why I don't think that was the right decision.  I do not think Eko should have lost his life for reacting naturally to an intrusion into his home, especially since he didn't even have full on contact with the human.

Tatiana behaved in the same way.  She instinctively defended a threat to her home and her mate.  The difference between what happen with Tatiana and what happened with Eko, is that Eko and his intruder had a fence between them. 

In my opinion that makes a huge difference on how this should have been handled.  I will reiterate what is all over this blog, feelings I write are my personal opinion, unless of course I'm stating facts of a situation.  That said, I also noted in yesterdays post that I have no sympathy for jerks who put Animals in vulnerable situations.  So the first thing several people in the comments noted that the guy was bleeding out.  That would not be something I would factor in.  It just wouldn't.  You put youself in a bad situation and you got to deal with the consequences.  How was this in any way Eko's fault?  As well, Eko was contained.  There was no threat to public safety.  Sorry but the jerk who caused this doesn't count.  I know my feeling is not going to be a universally popular one.

I also have the fantasy that a sign with text like this could be put up at Zoos ...  
- If you end up in an Animal enclosure either accidentally or voluntarily, we will make every effort to retrieve you, but we will not harm any Animal in the process.  Act responsibly!

I digressed a bit, but that's the plain and simple of it in my mind.  Good Lives Matter and an Animal behaving naturally, ranks higher than a jerk, whether with sinister intention, or just plain stupid.  So yeah, other methods to get the Tiger to release the arm should have been taken.  From what I read, I was not alone in that thought.  

In the bodycam footage you can hear someone ask for a Tranquilizer.  There was none.  I remember thinking, Why not use a Tranq in the Tatiana event?  I later learned that it would not have worked in that situation.  It is not an instantaneous knock-out and could create more aggression, as well, the dosage is often hard to measure.  But, remember Tatiana was not contained.  Yes, with Eko you risk the heightened aggression, but at least he doesn't lose his life.

Commenters were also questioning, Why using Tazer, Rubber Bullets, Bean Bag Bullets, making loud noises, weren't tried before shooting him.  I wondered why jabbing him with the Baton wasn't tried.  Then someone posted a link to an incident at the Bronx Zoo in 2012.  This intruder was actually full body in the enclosure with their Tiger and this was the outcome. ... Bravo to their response team!

So again we must ask, Why was this a shoot to kill situation when there was a fence between them?

At SFZoo all the Keepers who work with Code Red Animals carry Bear Spray.  So, I have to assume that's good for some kind of deterrent.  Granted a Keeper was not there at the Naples Zoo site, I again wonder if this Zoo even had after hours Security and where were they?  The bodycam footage was odd to me as when the Police arrived there was a clueless staffer with keys who let them in.  Yet when they reached the enclosure, Fire/EMS were already there.  Anyway that's all just sidebar observation.  It would seem that anyone there after hours, Security or any Staff, should be equipped with some kind of safety device.  A commenter said there should be a lockbox at these enclosures.  I thought about that, and it does seem like something that could be a good thing, maybe holding at the very least a can of Bear Spray.  I then thought of the Air Horn cans.  Those are pretty loud, would that be something that could work in a situation like that?  Of course this is all hindsight.  That said, it would seem the Fire Extinguisher, the Baton, or like methods, could have certainly been tried to save Eko's life.

Additionally, this brought me back to the wake of the Tatiana event.  I wondered Why Police were involved with Animal situations when they are not trained for that?  I have no idea if there was a "Target Team" in place at that time, but I know there is now.  I know there is a shoot to kill order for any code red animal contact with a human.  I don't agree with that, but it seems to be a universal thing where regardless of circumstance, the human life will always be the priority.  That said, in the wonder of my question, I do think that it should be the call of a member of the Animal Care Staff or Management to give that shoot order to Police.  Not the jerk who got himself in that situation, which is what happened with Eko. 

Years after Tatiana, I was told by someone that when Police arrived at the SFZoo, and were led up to where Tatiana had settled, while going past the Big Cat Grottos, Police drew their rifles and were ready to shoot any Big Cat they saw.  That made me sick.  I was horrified to hear that without knowing anything, they would think that's a valid action.  Thankfully all the Cats had been safely locked inside.   I think the SFZoo and the closest Police Station have since worked on some kind of protocol for emergencies.   Unfortunately,  from that bodycam footage, it seemed the Naples Zoo local Police, had no clue about the Zoo or how to handle the situation in a non-lethal way.

Related Posts
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.