Friday, January 14, 2022

This & That - Current

In my last post, I noted two things about the signage at Snow Leopards.  So, while this installment of  This & That covers the last two weeks, I'll start with something I witnessed at Snow Leopards this past Tuesday.

> As I passed through Snow Leopards, I noticed workers back working in the enclosure.  I also noticed them not wearing Masks.  Also not wearing a Mask, was the Zoo's Special Projects (Manager?), standing outside the enclosure talking to them.  Granted this is all outdoors, I was still bothered by this.  In light of another Snow Leopard, this time at Miller Park Zoo, passing away from Covid just days before, I would prefer not to see possible contamination in an area that will house Snow Leopards.  Again, I realize its outdoors and that the Cats are not yet in there, but it still bothered me.  I also think someone on Zoo Staff who is even remotely near the area where the Snow Leopards are, should use good judgement and send a better visual message to everyone in and around a sensitive area.  

> The Zoo is busy, fixing, cleaning, painting, and such for their AZA Inspection next week.  One thing that was gone when I got there this week was the Tree that had uprooted in one of the storms last Fall.  


When it fell, it took out two other trees and a lamp post.  I hadn't included this before because I didn't know the safety of this tree, but I had planned to ask if it was healthy/sturdy enough to use for a climbing structure for the Orangutans.  I had previously thought of the idea and wrote about it here:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/08/why-cant-orangutans-get-something-new.html

So, yea, before I could ask, and suggest, it was chopped up and cleared out.  Bummer no one thought to re-purpose it.  I had made this image example of the part that looked usable.  

All that aside, in my last post, I mentioned that the Zoo seems to spend money on stuff that is unnecessary, while crying poor for Animal needs.  I'm pretty sure the Zoo has a saw, but yet they allegedly hired someone to this.  I've had yard work done and it's costly, I can only imagine how much this tree situation cost.  Had to be thousands .   If all the Animal needs were met, I wouldn't care what they did with money, but that is not the case.  When it allegedly costs a couple thousand to net over Prairie Dogs so Bird Predators can't take babies, but there is no money for that, and money is spent for other things, it really irks me.  Why and Where do they find money for this stuff, gardens, amd banners, yet there's nothing for Animals?  

> I'll being doing a post on this, as I'm bothered by this location choice.  That said, buying a banner that looks 5+ feet long, is unnecessary.  


> Speaking of waste of money.  Years ago they drained this fountain, claiming to save water.  Not sure about that as alot of the water used is recycled.  So, at one point they filled it with soil, and added plants.  Not long after they ripped up the plants since they put a platform and tent over it annually for their fundraiser.  When the fundraiser is over, they buy new plants! This happened two or three years.  Since Covid there has been no event, but the weather has trashed this once lovely fountain.  I personally hated seeing the shabby plants and now all it is, is flooded soil.   They need to restore this back to being a fountain.


> Something that has bugged me since the Orangutans started using Triple Grotto, is the view from the east side.  Not sure why it didn't bother me when the Chimps were in there, but the Orangutans seem to sit on the ground more often and you can't see them from this side, except when they happen into view of the little window.

There doesn't seem to be a reason Why that fence can't be sawed down like this, so the Orangutans can be fully seen from this side.  

> Recently I saw Landscape Artist Patricio from Horticulture working on a Garden in front of Triple Grotto.  Lorraine from Maintenance came by and I got a photo of them together.  They work on projects together, like the Christmas display at the entrance.


When I was there this past Tuesday, the Garden looked finished, and beautiful as usual.  My initial thought weeks ago was clear.  This Garden is meant to distract from the aesthetics of the pitiful Orangutan enclosure.  The curious thing is, there are no plants in front of the ugly skyscraper bridge.  That eyesore should be the first thing they'd want to camouflage.  

It really irks me that money is spent to create an illusion here, instead of on the Orangutans.


> The Kudus were having some fun in the sun the other day.  Papa Jelani and a Female were being flirty, while the young calf, danced around them playing.  Feel the Joy here:

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*







No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.