Monday, January 31, 2022

Would An Exit By 49er Jimmy G, Effect Our Snow Leopard's Name?

The two posts I published yesterday, brought me into the home stretch of wrapping up my long overdue drafts.  Those two, in addition to a couple on the Madagascar project, have weighed heavy for two or more years.  I probably got four left, and it feels great to have those weights lifted.  I can hear George Michael singing it now... Freedom!

Obviously this was not a planned post.  I'm no Football fan, but I get my News on Twitter and not long after the score from yesterday's NFL Playoff game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Los Angeles Rams posted, Twitter was abuzz with many saying Jimmy Garoppolo is on his way out of the organization. 

Now you wonder what is this have to do with the Zoo or our Snow Leopard?

When Snow Leopard Raj arrived at the San Francisco Zoo in 2017, it wasn't long before he fell victim to the usual disrespect of having his identity stolen from him.


Named Raj by the Community of the Assiniboine Zoo, where he was born, that name, like too many others, was stripped and he was renamed Jimmy G.



The SFZoo has a bad habit of renaming almost every Animal that transfers in, whether or not there's money attached to it or they just do it themselves.  The Zoo is big on saddling innocent Beings with the names of local ball players, just so they can get some media attention every now and then. 

Anyone who knows me or has read this blog for any length of time, knows the renaming thing is one of my biggest issues.  I can't express how much I hate it.  

My first experience with renaming was with Hippo Tucker.  I had followed Tucker in his previous home at the Topeka Zoo.  When he got to SFZoo the former Asst Curator of Hoofstock, flat out lied and said he didn't have a name.  That wasn't the last time she would either.  I've asked certain people questions I already know the answer to, just to catch them in lies. You would think, knowing me, I'd be the last person these people want to lie to, but maybe lying is just their nature?  If you're gonna rename an Animal, just say so. Say they had a name at their previous home but they'll have a new name here.  It's better than lying!  

Before Raj, in addition to Tucker, there has been so many ball player names.  Some were names given at birth, but it still sucks in my opinion.  One Langur babie was named after Sergio Romo.  Romo came to the Zoo to meet the babie and was quoted in an Examiner news article saying, "Not quite my favorite Animal".  What a jerk thing to say.  People are jerks and no Animal should ever be named after one.  One rename that was not a ball player, but a Zoo Staffer.  Our handsome Goat Blaise had the misfortune of being renamed after the Zoo's VP of HR.  I overheard this guy, say Blaise was ugly.   In addition to being outraged, my heart hurt.  For one, Blaise is not only not ugly, but any Animal is better looking than a Human, and two, for someone who is lucky enough to have a job at the Zoo and one that pays him over $200,000 a year, he needs to keep his mouth shut, unless that is, if he has a fundraising idea! ... I immediately made and Tweeted this photo, while standing at the Zoo and using their WiFi to do it.


The Zoo lost seven of nine Monkey species because of the Madagascar Vanity Debacle.  The latest victims are the Howler Monkeys, who have all been transferred to the Brevard Zoo.  The one good thing about it is that Mama Baya has reclaimed her identity!  She was named by SFZoo Animal Staff to reflect something related to Thanksgiving, the day she was born and the Howler Monkey's native South America.  Baya means Berry in Spanish.  The Zoo renamed her after a male ball player.  Lincecum (Tim) is a disgraceful name for a beautiful little girl.

Another ball player rename that really bothers me, is that of Black Rhino Balozi.  Named Balozi at his birth place San Diego Animal Park, Balozi means Ambassador in Swahli.  There is probably no Animal more perfectly named, and the Zoo goes and renames him Boone, after a 49er.   Good Grief.

Back to Tucker.  After being called Buddy by the former Hoofstock Curator, Tucker was renamed Brian Wilson, an SF Giants player. Note I also hate first and last names and initial names.  When Wilson left the team, something even more disrespectful happened, Tucker was renamed again!  So, the Zoo renames him after the Giants manager Bruce Bochy!  People were like, where's Brian Wilson?  I was like WTF #%$!  Shameful and Embarrassing.

So, I guess we have to ask the San Francisco Zoo, if Jimmy Garoppolo leaves the 49ers, does Raj get to reclaim his identity? 

Or are you just gonna rename him after the next quarterback, another player, or team staffer, so you can continue to pimp him out for media attention?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*











3 comments:

  1. If their mission is exhausted renaming animals to accommodate the public illustrates a zoo being constructed for human and entertainment. No question then the growing list of animal needs going unmet. All in charge group malfunctions showing absence of logical knowledge of wildlife. Important question regarding any need to conserve wildlife yearns: WHY do they matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally with the name changes. I have always been against changing animals names especially for training purposes. It's confusing to the animal. I also hate that it's always ball players.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A PR stunt whose novelty cover up showing what little animal compassion might exist.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.