Thursday, January 13, 2022

This & That - Update thru January 2, 2022

This small item commentary has proven to be not only helpful to me, but a well liked way to present things.  It was styled after one of my other zoo related blogs that was active from 2013-2015. I encourage anyone who is interested in our Zoo Friends and the Good, the Bad and the Curious of previous years, to check out.  It's packed with tons of great photos and bits about the Animals.  Every time I go there looking for something, I get a bit lost in all the memories I posted there.  I loved that blog.  

http://mysanfranciscozooouttings.blogspot.com/2013/06/my-big-fat-running-commentary-updated.html

> So, since I wrote about the new Farm sign fail in my previous post (yesterday), I'll start with the sign at Snow Leopards that showed up at some point after I posted this 10.10.21

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/10/great-plains-zoo-snow-leopard-passes.html

Again, much like with the Chimp yard, I seemingly had to post about it for it to happen.  Together with the Farm sign, I seriously feel like I'm doing people's jobs for them, especially the Graphics person. 

Also at Snow Leopards, there are a handful of these signs along the barrier fencing of the expansion:


I got no problem with these signs, except to wonder, Why signs this size and hung like this, weren't/aren't posted all along the barrier at Chimps in regard to Mandatory Masks.  Something I suggested in one of my Chimp posts.  As well, all along the barrier fence at Bears and Black Rhinos, in regard to not Sitting or Standing on Barriers.  Again, the signage text, size, positioning, and lack of, are a curious thing at the Zoo.  

The best thing about this sign, is the use of our Beloved Rigel's image.   I sure miss that sweet boy.  

> Additionally, these signs showed up and pissed me off before the others.  There are a handful of these signs about paying for Parking???  Yet, again I must refer to the barrier signage issue of size and lack of.  But hey folks, no worry the Zoo will hold your hand and remind you to buy your Parking!  Note to Zoo, those who need Parking are already in, let them figure out how to get out!  Pay more attention to the NEEDS of the Animals in your care!!!


> I haven't asked anyone what the deal is with the Sloat perimeter banners, so this is really just thinking outloud.  A few weeks ago, the Tucker portion of the sign was down.  

I assumed because there was no longer a Hippo there.  I figured they were making one with a current resident.  I did think it was curious that they would take it down before having a new one to replace it.  Then the next week, all the signs were gone.  Who knows.  The one thing that does bug me, is there is a strip of banner left where two of the four banners were.  Just looks like a lazy job was done removing it.  Its not bad enough the fence further east is a broken down shambles.  Good Grief. Anyway, these signs can't be cheap, so I'll be curious to see what happens with replacing them.  

I mention, and will continue to mention costs and wastes, since management, cries poor as a reason why too many Animal enclosure needs are not met. Yet they spend money on too many things that seem unnecessary.  Always remember, when I say management, I mean Zoo Director Tanya Peterson.  Allegedly everything down to what's posted to Social Media, must be approved by her.

> I have several Orangutan items, so I'm going to put them in their own post.  Overdue for an Orangutan Update and Reiteration of facts.   This graphic appeared in a recent Zoo Newsletter, and was the catalyst.  Can you guess what my issue is?  You won't have to wait too long for the answer!  I'm on it within the next day or so. So stay tuned! 

> My mind is always analyzing everything at the Zoo, and this has bugged me for years.   The Coastal Conservation Center.  Money spent on something that is not open to the public, or at the very least, to Members. 

This is especially irritating when over the past decade so many places in the Zoo have closed, and here's a place that touts Education, yet it's exclusionary.  This place needs to be open.  Maybe timed tours a couple times a day? 

> Something else that I haven't asked anyone about is this added barrier around the water filling station near Cats.  


Maybe there's a logical reason, but I can't figure it.  Regardless of the reason, What I do find to be a nag is, I've been complaining about breachable barriers for thirteen years, and there has been no improvements.  So no care to the vulnerability and safety to the Animals, but there's this!??  

Obviously, the cost is probably less on this, but it's just the overall priority mentality that is most disturbing.  And again, who knows the reason for this, may be something very valid and necessary.  But, so are so many other things.  Things that have to do with the lives of the Animals.  I think the Zoo forgets that it is an Animal Care Facility.  The Animals should be the priority.

> I'm going to try and post something neat about the Animals, at the end of these This and That posts.  This installment features one of the Son's of our Gorilla Lady Bawang.  He and his brother Shango live together at Zoo Miami.         

This is amazing.  I love that when she points to his nose,  he understands he needs to sit there still and breathe the meds in.

See the video on Zoo Miami Facebook here:

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=7150086541684023&_rdr

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*








No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.