Sunday, January 30, 2022

What Will Become Of The Hippo Enclosure?

This post was started two years ago when I first heard that Hippo Tucker was leaving.  The original title was, What Does The Hippo Departure Mean For The Zoo?  Obviously Hippo Tucker has already moved on to his new home at the Cincinnati Zoo, but the question remains the same.  

In my post, Why Is Everything Such A Secret, dated January 21, 2021, I note the current information I have, which is that the Zoo is acquiring Pygmy Hippos, but where in the Zoo they end up is a curious thing.   The obvious place is the Hippo pool, which I hear will require adjustments to meet current guidelines for housing Pygmy's.  Then there's the craziness that they will eventually go in the Madagascar exhibit.  Will that then leave them in some make-shift situation until the Madagascar enclosure is ready?  How long will that be?  I certainly hope they aren't hoarded in and kept in an inappropriate situation like the Orangutans were.  Unless there's something I need to be educated about (and I welcome that), it just seems illogical to not use that Hippo enclosure, make it right and use it.  As well, the posted sign mentions "remodel", so...?

The original context of this post back in early 2020, was to not only share that Tucker was leaving, but what I learned was the alleged plan for that entire area.  Those details are still important to document, as they could still be part of a disturbing idea that could see fruition, or just to illustrate, the odd ideas management comes up with. 

Initially, what I heard was this...  Tucker was going to Cincinnati on a breeding recommendation.  The Zoo planned to demolish the Hippo area to expand Black Rhino for breeding.  I was sad Tucker was leaving.  I was furious that the Zoo thought it was a good idea to demolish an existing exhibit, that could be used to house another water species in the future.  With the Zoo's "no money" mantra, how could they ever rebuild?  As well, that enclosure was just renovated ten years ago.  That was a long project, that included the Black Rhino area, which used to house Elephants.  I was not as in tune as I am now, but I think I remember that area being closed off for at least four years, although I think six is more like it.

Anyway, in my opinion, so much was wrong with this plan.  In relation to their "no money" mantra,  how were they going to pay for a Black Rhino expansion?  Why did they need the extra space for that, when there is a huge area right there, that's been unused since Elly the Female Black Rhino passed away, four, now almost five years ago?  If they want to expand, why not expand into Bongo's and renovate unused enclosures in South Gate (area beyond Hippo yard, down toward Grizzlies, that used to house Hoofstock species)? 


Also on my mind, was thinking the Zoo had no problem letting Tucker go without a fight to keep him, because it lent to their Black Rhino agenda.

It wasn't until Tucker left that I learned part of the reason Tucker was leaving, was not just about a breeding recommendation, but that Hippo's naturally live in a group.  While I know alot about Animals, I'd say more of what I know is about our Animal Residents as individuals, than what I know about species specifically.  I have learned alot, but admit there's alot I don't know.  Hippo's living in a Bloat is one of them.  That said, I was sad to learn this, only when Tucker left.  Which meant, once again the Species Survival Plan (SSP) was fine to leave him in a solitary situation for eleven years, when that is not how he should have been naturally living.  Why does the SSP continue to make decisions that are not in the best interest of the Animals? 

There is also the added factor of pool size.  I was told that the size of the Hippo pool is no longer (not sure when in the last eleven years that changed) up to standard to house Nile Hippos.  Eventually learning those two factors, I understand why he needed to leave, and am so glad he did.  If you have followed his journey in Cincinnati, you will see how happy he is.  Watching him in a Family is beyond joyous.  It's a wonderful and beautiful thing.

Sometime before the first Pandemic Shutdown, work started on the Snow Leopard Expansion.  This will have a dedicated post, but it relates to the Hippo area, as well to priorities, and money/no money.   

I made a video detailing my issues, over a year ago.  With the whole Covid thing and life in general, I still haven't downloaded SD cards since Winter 2019.  So That video was made before any perimeter construction was done.  I only detailed the plan as I knew it from talking to people, and the architect illustration.  Still, it was clear that the end of that expansion was going to come very close to the Hippo Yard.  I was still going on the Black Rhino plan as alleged, so I was and still am concentrated on the obtrusiveness of the Snow Leopard Expansion.

Not only does the enclosure expand about twenty-five feet beyond the Cat Grotto row, which is aesthetically distracting and a blight to the flow of that path, it comes about ten feet from the Hippo Yard.  I can't think of another enclosure that does that.  It's just plain weird.  Yet, if plans are to demolish, then I guess that's a moot issue.  Anyway, I asked about this, and was told that there is a plan to re-route the path up around into that Hippo Yard area.   

Here is a link to one of four videos I did upload when I took it.  It's the oldest, taken July 2021.  The other three will be in the Snow Leopard post, coming up next.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZoaZAp7URA

As with all the current projects, this seems to me another scatter-brained and fluid project.  Unfortunately one that could threaten the existing Hippo enclosure.  Just like Madagascar succeeded in getting rid of seven of nine species of Monkeys.  Big Fail!

So, I guess we wait to see what the Zoo really has in store for the Hippo area.  

This post is related to the next one.  I am publishing together, so best read that way.

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-snow-leopard-expansion-curiosity.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*








No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.