Sunday, August 20, 2017

Bear Cubs on Facebook! - New Group for Fun and Facts


I apologize.  I posted last Saturday that I would have another post later that day.  That didn't happen. I have been working on a new Facebook Group, and didn't get all the info sorted that I want to include so I put it off, planning to launch and post about it by mid week.  During Tuesdays Zoo visit, there was an incident that was upsetting on several points.  I got home and spent the evening writing about that, but at the end, decided to hold off on posting it.  Will get back to it.  The rest of the week was busy, and I've been sorting through 1000+ Bear Cub pix the last couple of days!  And that number doesn't include the hundreds of videos.  

Today I will launch my new Facebook Group, Rescued Bear Cub Club!  I know, I already have so many online ventures I can't keep up with, but I start each of them out of passion and intention of making them all they can be.  Often, time and energy drain get the best of me.  I do try my best and its always for the Animals, that's what keeps me going.  So, please visit my new Group!  Join, Contribute, Share or just Lurk.  I think you will find it informative, and fun. Hopefully together we can add a bit to much needed awareness about how so many precious Cubs end up losing their Mothers and left orphaned.

The San Francisco Zoo's recent acquisition of two orphaned Black Bear Cubs, Juneau and Valdez, has created excitement and joy for me, as I have never known Bear Cubs.  I've wished for the experience of not only seeing a Cub, but the experience of watching one grow-up.  Now I have the gift of seeing these two precious babies grow and thrive.  I have been endeared to these babies from before they got here.  I am drawn to their story, and the plight of other abandoned Cubs.

The news of their impending arrival reminded me of the first Bear Cub plight I followed online. Sadly that Bear didn't have the opportunity these two will have.  I don't remember how I came across the story of little Bear Cub Makoon, but I followed his journey from early start to finish. A journey that was frustrating and a finish that was heartbreaking.  Makoon was found near death on the side of the road in Manitoba, Canada.  Rescued by a member of the public, a Sanctuary offered to rehab him until he was old enough for release.  They were denied by the Government, who instead allegedly placed him in the Assiniboine Zoo.  Despite public outrage, and opposition of experts, he was allegedly released into the wild at five months old to fend for himself.  This is younger than the two Cubs currently at SFZoo.  There was never any proof provided that Makoon ever made it to the Zoo or to the Wild. It is speculated that Manitoba Government killed him. His sad story is documented on the Facebook Page linked below, which also serves as an advocacy platform, for Bears and other Wildlife.   


The woman who started this Page for Makoon was instrumental in advocating for him every step of his journey.  She kept track of all the details put forth by the Assiniboine Zoo and Manitoba Government. When something wasn't right, she asked questions.  Her name is Judy Allen Stearns and she rocks!  I'm lucky to have met and remained friends with such a driving force for Bear Cubs.  I learned alot about Government interference, and cried alot over something simple as doing right by a vulnerable and in need young Being.  She and her Husband Roger are in the process of opening their own Bear Cub rehab facility on their property in Manitoba.  

San Francisco Zoo has provided forever homes to other Wild Born Animals in need, including three Bears.   

The first Bear rescued was in 1980.  Wild Born Polar Bear Ulu, came to the San Francisco Zoo at approximately three years old.  She and her Mother, along with two other siblings (all who are thought to have found homes in other Zoos), were repeat offenders in the town of Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.  Its common for Polar Bears to head into town in search of food.  The ones lucky not to be involved in a direct Animal/Human conflict and killed on sight are caught and taken to Bear jail, then released by helicopter far from town. They are marked and if they return, the three strike limit applies even to Bears and Ulu had reached hers.  Thankfully her life was spared, when a forever home was offered by the SFZoo.  We were lucky to have her.  I loved this Lady and I am honored to have known her.   She lived a long, happy life, passing in April this year.  At 36, she was the oldest living female Polar Bear in a North American Zoo and estimated to be one of the oldest in the World.  
The two Grizzly Sisters, Kiona and Kachina, have lived at the SFZoo since being rescued in Montana in 2004.   They had lost their Mother, who was euthanized by State officials after an Animal/Human conflict situation.  Orphaned, they were rehabbed and released at a year old. Fending for themselves they eventually ended up coming into human populated areas in search of food.  Like Ulu, they ran out of strikes and at almost a year and a half, they too were set to be euthanized before being offered a forever home at the Zoo.  

How do all these Bears end up in peril?  The information we have on SFZoo Bears, Ulu, and Kiona and Kachina, has been attributed to Animal/Human conflict, with these Bears repeatedly coming into human populated areas in search of food.  The case with Makoon, our Valdez and Juneau, along with the other seven Cubs rehabbed this season at the Alaska Zoo, is unknown. Cubs can become Orphaned, for reasons of conflict that results in Mother's  being killed for nuisance,  abandoned because they are weaker and can't keep up,  and being illegally or legally murdered.  Yes, it is legal to Hunt Bears in many places.  Our current disgrace of a President has also made it legal for blood thirsty Humans aka Hunters that Murder for joy, to legally kill Mama Bears and their Cubs in their dens.  This Bill includes the same parameters for Wolves.  The allowance of these acts of violence are in my opinion, barbaric, horrific and downright evil. 

It is thought that the Bear Cubs who have come to live at the SFZoo, became abandoned as a result of Animal/Human conflict.  The specific reason is unknown.  These Cubs were rescued by the Alaska Wildlife Dept. and rehabbed at the Alaska Zoo.  It was determined they were not candidates for release because they had been too habituated by Humans.  Releasing them would only cause them to wander into a town and be at risk for being killed.  Homes for all have been found in North American Zoos.

Interviews with the Alaska Zoo Director, in regard to these Cubs,  have him urging for more Bear Awareness.  If you live in or are traveling to Bear Country, few tips include, keeping trash inside, don't put trash out until day of pick up, take down bird feeders, don't leave pets or their food outside. Helping to reduce interaction will help to reduce the number of Orphans.  So, while our disrespectful President and other evil demons are out there murdering these precious Beings, there are kind souls who do everything they can to help these babies who are desperately in need.   

I have learned these basic tips, but there is more information out there.  You can visit:
https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-before-you-go/bears  or a simple google search will turn up many results for those who want to learn more on Bear Awareness and Orphaned Cubs.

This Group will document the growth and life of the San Francisco Zoo's two Black Bear Cubs, Juneau and Valdez, along with other Cubs the Alaska Zoo has rehabbed this season and sent to forever homes at other North American Zoos, three Black Bear Cubs to Greater Vancouver Zoo and four Brown Bear Cubs to Oakland Zoo.  I will also post related stories about other Orphaned Cubs as I come across them.  

Hope this has been interesting and informative.  In an effort to spread the awareness and information, I may also post this to the Group in full and/or in parts.  Sorry for the repeat of info if that happens.









No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.