Monday, September 4, 2017

HOT TOPIC! - Barrier Abusers Put Bear Cubs in Danger

So, I think after my last post this post is going to pretty much write itself, as they say, a picture says a thousand words.  These pictures only need to say ten.  What the Hell are You Doing, Endangering the Animals Safety.

If you haven't, please read my previous post for back story on why hanging over the Barriers is a dire issue point.

I knew before these Precious Cubbies came to SF that there would be an issue with the Barriers at this exhibit. While they were renovating this exhibit and sprucing up the railings, I asked if there was a plan to put a deterrent, like maybe the staggered bamboo same as at the Anteater? No there was no plan.  Although everyone on Staff that I asked said, "That would be a good idea" or "I wish they would."  

This post was written the day after the Cubs arrived.  Two weeks before they went on exhibit. Plenty of time to add a deterrent to the Barrier.

I have stood at the Cubs at least two hrs a day, three times a week since they came on exhibit four weeks ago. I have seen a steady stream of offenders.  I have seen a steady stream of Staffers stand there and say nothing, with these offences are in action.  I have seen one Staff Member say something.  One.  I even asked a Staffer who didn't say anything.  I've pointed it out to several, "look", nothing.  Is Management telling those on Staff not to say anything to people?  Seriously, what gives that so many people do not find that this is a problem?  Wake Up!  This is a problem!

Does the San Francisco Zoo care if someone falls into an enclosure?

Bottom line, there needs to be a physical deterrent attached to this Barrier (as well that of the Black Rhino and Hippo).  As I've suggested too many times, the bamboo like at Anteater would work fine. Or even a short glass across the concrete edge of the enclosure like at Wolves, just so no one rolls/bounces into the enclosure.  Whatever it is, there needs to be something, because people do not read their few little signs. If they do not put something up, and someone falls in and jeopardizes the lives of these Babies, I am going to be alot more vocal than I already am.  My little blogging of "my opinions" is already a thorn in their side, what do they think happens after I've been documenting this for years and they have done nothing? Every minute those Cubs are on exhibit and someone is hanging over, the Zoo knowingly puts their lives at risk.  The same as it does for the other Animals in the same situation.  The Zoo knows.  No way they can't.  They read this blog and I've been posting about it for years.

I will note that the Cubs are pretty trained to come to a Cow Bell, but that should not be something they rely on to call them in if something as novel as a Human appears in their territory. Especially not after they are weaned from the bottle that they are coming to the bell for.  And I can tell you that the Rhinos and Hippo are not trained to retreat for a bottle.

I was asked by one Staffer what I blog about.  I said, "Everything. Good and Bad.  Things I see that aren't right."   They said, "... but that goes against our Mission."  Alluding to me that I shouldn't be blogging about the Zoo, if its anything other than what I see while wearing rose-colored glasses. I thought that was both curious and interesting.  What about my Mission to do what's right for the Animals?   They said, "But that's your opinion."  I said, "Yes it is my opinion, and its all based on facts."   Again they said, "But that's your opinion."   ... Well, it appears, These Photos are Facts, not Opinion.

I'm posting the collage of the Winner and Runner-up first because I don't want you to tire after seeing all the other offenders and give up before see these gems.  The Winner is something else.  Actually never seen anything quite as daring as this. I think at one point she might have let go for a second. And yea, the Runner-up offended in front of three Staff Members.  Its amazing that I can still take hundreds of photos of the Cubs each visit and still notice these misbehaviors, yet Staff can't.  Or they do and just don't care.  Then someone falls in and they are screwed.



Kids are constantly running by, playing, pushing each other and other basic not paying attention flailing about.  One of them accidentally bumps one of these Parents and their grip could be jostled and in their kid goes.

Keep in mind that these are just some of the photos I've taken.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again for your caring passionately of our beautiful and wonderful zoo friends. These animals are very precious to my heart. The extemely blatant barrier broaching has gotten way out of hand. The zoo and the AZA needs to step up before we have a tragedy with a child falling into an exhibit and an amimal losing its life because of this. Please SF ZOO, Staffers, AZA take this serious problem to heart. I found these photos shocking and I can see how easily a little bump and into the grotto a child tumbles. This is a problem I see whenever I zoo. (especially with code red animals). Thank you for again bringing this problem to the forefront. Zoo Member, Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie- Thank you for your comment. Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you for understanding what an issue this is. I'm shocked that the Zoo Management and other Staff don't think its an issue, possibly even the AZA. I will keep writing about this, but at some point after six years of it, it may just be something we have to pray about.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.