Sunday, February 23, 2020

Orangutan's To Finally Get Yard - Triple Grotto Update 2.21.20

Two weekends ago I made progress on all the draft posts I've been talking about for over a year.  I thought that was it.  That I was almost done for awhile.  That I would be caught up.  While it seems that can be my reality, some things happened since then, that I felt I needed to bat out before then. ... Will start with this.

Ten months after the Orangutans arrived at the Zoo, an enclosure they can have daily access to, will finally be created.

Work on the North Grotto in the old Triple Grotto exhibit, could start as early as Monday.

This past Tuesday, I noticed that the overgrown bushes in front of Triple Grotto had been cut down.  By Thursday, lumber creating a plank in two places in Middle Grotto, that appear to be positioned for worker access to North Grotto.  
 


I did a short video overview.  Will post all updates on construction progress on my YouTube.  Subscribe to follow along.  I don't plan to post an update again until its done.


If you've been following along, I'm sure you agree, this is long overdue.  So, before anyone applauds this, let's not forget the facts.

This screencap is from the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting Minutes.  It supports my long standing opinion that the Orangutans were brought here prematurely.  Why? I can only guess, to have something new for the Summer, in light of the hole the tear-down of the Primate Center left, the disappearance of more than half the Monkeys, and the Snow Leopard Construction.  This presentation was made on March 21, 2019 with a notation that Orangutans would be coming later in the year. As well, it's curious that the Acquisitions seemed to have been made before the Committee even approved them. Something is not right with the oversight system.  See related post linked at end.

The Male Orangutan arrived in less than a month after that presentation, the Female two weeks later. At the time, the Chimpanzee Yard was not even finished.  There was no dedicated outdoor space for Orangtans.

The Chimp Yard was finished and in use by end of May.  By end of June, Chimps were locked inside with no outdoor access or fresh air for seven weeks during Summer.  The Female Orangutan had yard access.  Male had not been given access yet.

Mid August, Chimps reclaimed access to their yard.  The Orangutans were given access again on January 17th.  It had been four months since the Female had access, and the entire Eight Months since his arrival that the Male had been outside the trail and bedrooms. 

Not having a third space created in the Great Ape Passage, so that both the Orangutans and Chimpanzees could have daily outside access, is a serious Animal Welfare issue.  It is cruel and should be an unacceptable offense on the part of SFZoo Director Tanya Peterson.   Both these Great Ape species have had a great disservice done to them. The Orangutans situation may be the top disrespect in the last decade, in a close tie with our beloved Falcor the Komodo Dragon.   

As I said in a previous post, the overdue construction to make a space for the Orangutans, is not a redemption, it's a relief. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.