I left the Zoo Tuesday wanting to document two Fails that night, but I didn't reach that goal, because shocker, I just don't want to write about every little thing. I'm tired in general, and especially of Zoo stuff. That said, it's now the end of the week and I'm getting to it now. I didn't think I would, because I've had a extreme pain in my sinus/teeth almost non-stop last 48 hr. I got a reprieve for a moment now and since I don't plan on doing Zoo stuff at all next week, I'm going to document this week now. Will pick-up on drafts week after next.
I always seem to be positioned to witness things that need some kind of attention. Not just at the Zoo, but in general.
The first Fail presented before I even got into the place. I was next in line to buy a ticket, when I overheard the family ahead of me at the window. They wanted to use their EBT to buy tickets (under the Museums For All program). They said No, when asked if they were SF Residents. Then they were told it was only for SF Residents! When they were done, I went to the window. After I was asked about Residency, I asked if nonResidents could still buy EBT tickets for $5 (SF is $3). They guy was looking at the screen, and then interacted with someone next to him, then answered Yes. Now I was pissed.
I saw the family, before they got to the gate house. I confirmed with them that what I had overheard was accurate. They said yes. I told them their tickets should have been $5. I suggested they go back and get a refund, and purchase their EBT tickets. As well to ask for a manger if there's a problem. I continued in, and they went back to ticket window.
I looked at this as the Zoo ripping these people off, and that really upset me. It literally had me muttering to myself all the way to Wolverines.
I'll note that the ticket guy must be new, because I've never seen him before. He was also probably being trained, as he had someone next to him. Was this someone there when that family was buying tickets, I don't know. BUT if he wasn't there, and the new guy didn't know, one of two things should have happened. He should have asked someone else, or once I brought it up, he should have told the someone next to him, left the window and looked for them to make this right. Did the later happen? Not in the time frame I was talking to the family.
In my opinion, this is a real problem. This family came from out of town. Are obviously on a low income budget, expecting to pay $20 for the four of them and instead paid $80+. That's not right, and probably left a tainted opinion of Our Zoo.
When my EBT discounted Membership expired last year, I chose not to renew yet and just buy EBT day ticket through summer. If I hadn't, and walked straight through with Membership, this fail would have gone unchecked. How many other families have either paid more than they planned because they were already there, or worse, been forced to walk away, because they couldn't afford to pay more?
Additionally, the new pricing signage is crap. There is no fixed sign for prices. There is a digital screen that rotates the prices in several different languages. Not only does it take some time waiting to get to your applicable screen, it doesn't even show the EBT prices. I get that it saves signage money when prices change, and it's being inclusive to a varied lingual community, but if there was a fixed sign that included the EBT prices, what happened, wouldn't have. Maybe they just need a posted Museums For All sign with the EBT prices. There is space on right side of building, where old price sign was, and that now has two other signs. Just thought not this so sorry no photo.
My last stop was Gorillas. When I approached the first viewing area, I noticed lots of color and thought, party remnants. Quickly turned to training window and saw the sign, Happy Birthday Dara! I was bummed to have missed it, and pissed once again that the Zoo gave no notice to the public. I've written about this type of thing before, so I must sound like a broken record, but in my opinion, not giving the public a chance to be included is a valid fail in the path to bettering Our Zoo.
I researched Dara when she got here, and made a note about her Birthday, but didn't put it on my calendar. So, my bad, my old overwhelmed mind didn't remember. But, visitors shouldn't have to keep close track, they should be alerted. I may sound like I'm boo-hooing for myself, but I'm not. I know for a fact people will make a point to come out for events like this. I don't understand how management doesn't get the connection that these types of celebrations/events, when the Animals are given fun enrichment is a huge factor in endearing people to Our Animals, and Our Zoo. It's helping to build a caring community, and that benefits the Zoo.
The Zoo may say they didn't know ahead of time, and that's just not valid. There is prep for enrichment toys, and birthday treats. The could easily announce a couple days ahead of time a Birthday, and say check back for time. They could have a sandwich board at gate daily noting what's happening, including Birthdays and estimated party time. They could have push alerts on their app for birthdays or other special enrichment fun.
Anyway I just don't understand it. People enjoy the celebrations. I've been saying this for eighteen years, but you would think that especially at this point in time when the Zoo needs all the attendance, all the community support, that this would be a time to embrace that and make the most of it for the betterment of Our Zoo, and the joy it brings to those lucky enough to be included.
No comments:
Post a Comment