Sunday, March 18, 2018

Chimpanzee Expansion - Another Update!

I started this two weeks ago, but actually glad I didn't get the energy for it til now.  This Month's Joint Zoo Committee Meeting Document in regard to Acquisitions, notates information on our new Male Chimpanzee!  So together with the two Females noted in my previous post about the Chimps, we now have information on our three new Chimps! 

Week before last, I also made this video.  Shows a bit of the SkyTrail progress, but what I love is the chat I had with Minne and Cobby.  They probably can't hear me, and who knows if the could or would even know what I'm talking about, but I love talking to the Zoo Friends.  Here I'm telling them all about the exciting times ahead for them!

It was several weeks ago now that I started to work on the few posts that I had in current draft form.  I thought since writing about the Zoo takes alot out of me, I'd get those out and then be done for awhile, maybe just writing about a new topic here and there.  I started with the fun stuff, about the Komodo and Chimp's new enclosures.  I didn't even get to the tough one, when things came my way and I started thinking about a few posts I had back-burnered and wasn't even going to continue working on.  Gotta say, they are nagging at me and I may end up randomly finishing and posting them.

Since my last post, I have another Update on the Chimpanzee Expansion Project.  Its moving along pretty fast, progress each day I visit.  I made a few more videos, but decided except for the one above, they were too much like my others, construction info and my personal ideas on further use of space.  I tried to illustrate visually all the things the could happen with the surrounding areas available.  It got overwhelming as thoughts continue to come to mind, in regard to ideas based on how I'm viewing the logistics of the situation.  I think rather than use multiple videos, I'll just try to write it out and use previous videos of area I'm referring to as the visual.   Who knows, most  readers might consider this just a rambling of ideas, and it pretty much is.  But, I'm always thinking about how the Zoo can improve, so why not put it all down.  Maybe it will spark an idea in the minds of Management. 

So many thoughts about the future of the "Great Ape Passage"  that will soon start with the opening of the Chimpanzee Expansion.  What I'm basically trying to figure out is how the current Chimp enclosure, the Triple Grotto will eventually be renovated.  When the current expansion in the Pachyderm Building is completed, there will be a new indoor night quarters with six bedrooms, to accommodate our current three Chimps and the three new Chimps.  There will be an indoor playroom, and an outdoor yard.  These areas will be connected to the Triple Grotto.  By connecting, what I have now heard will be two Skytrails (the second one going from the South Grotto to the new side yard), there must be a commitment to at least keep the current Triple Grotto House in any future plans?   

The future of this area does seem to have a big ? mark on it.  Three years ago Director Peterson put forth photos that showed a definite plan to bring in Orangutans for the area that is currently the Triple Grotto.  Those plans were drawn up under the assumption that Director Peterson's plan to kick out our Precious Senior Chimps would succeed.  

I don't know what the timeline is for acquiring Orangutans.  My calculations are at least 2-4 years.  For one, nothing can be done to manage another Great Ape Species in that area until renovation of Triple Grotto or build of another enclosure takes place.  And most important, nothing can be done until our current three Chimps are fully introduced and integrated with the three new Chimps.  Chimp introduction could take years.  How big the new side yard will be, is another important factor, but from my calculations, using the Pachyderm expansion as the only Chimp habitat during a project that would put the Triple Grotto out of commission, doesn't seem right.  Guess it will be a wait and see what space the expansion provides. 

I don't know if those original project plans are being followed, but if so, again it would be pending size of expansion space, there might then be a need for an additional Chimp yard to be built before any Triple Grotto work can be done.  It appears to me the Chimps would need access to a larger space if the Triple Grotto was out of access.  Especially with six Chimps. 

I made a series of three videos in 2015, with some ideas for the expansion, past the Skytrail/Playroom project.  


Since I'm reaching back to 2015, I must mention something I read a few months ago.  Going back to that first evening, at the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting when it was announced the Chimps would be staying. Director Peterson pulled out this diagram for a Chimp Forest.  She mentioned it cost $10 Million and eluded that if not for the price tag it would be a consideration, if a lead donor came through.  Gotta say, I feel frauded.  I was recently researching something and came across a news article that mentioned the $10 Million Chimp Forest Project.  It would seem like she pulled out some old plans and presented it as a serious option if she met her fundraising goals.  At the time it was mentioned with the enthusiasm that the "biggest fundraising effort to date" was going to be an actual thing.  It never happened.  So even though, the proposed site for the Chimp Forest, through my own research,  was not a viable location for Primates, in relation to weather, because of its position near the beach, there was still the guise that a huge deal was about to be made to get the Chimps a new home.  I just wanted to document that because it really rubbed me the wrong way.  I would have preferred her just say, Chimps are staying and we are going to do everything we can to give them a more enriching life.  Provide them with more space, upgrade their current home, and social options.

I'm actually fine with there not having been a real plan to build a brand new enclosure.  Part of My Crusade to Save the Chimps, was because I felt they needed to stay in the only home they had ever known. I love what is being added with the SkyTrail and areas within and connected to the Pachyderm Building.  I think adding those Environmental Enrichment options to their lives while they are still allowed access to the familiarity of the Triple Grotto is the best thing for them.  At their age, I think too much change, especially all at once would be detrimental.  

So, back to what will happen next.  Who knows.  Will the Zoo go ahead and try to get Orangutans and rebuild the Triple Grotto for them?  Will there be another area for the Chimps during that time?  Would any new area built on that site be a rotating enclosure with the Chimps?  These are the things that I wonder about for the future.

The Zoo has proven to not have funding for huge projects.  They often don't even have funding for small projects. Aside from their fundraising abilities, its really disgusts me that in a City as rich as San Francisco, that there is virtually no City funding to even provide for upgrades.  What's wrong with this town?  

That all said, I am all for re-purposing old exhibits.  I have read and heard views where Zoo purists (the Zoo Chat forum is one) think the Zoo should knock down buildings and build fresh from the ground.  In my opinion that is a waste of time these Animals don't have, and money the Zoo doesn't have and probably never will.  The existing buildings and exhibit walls seem to be sturdy foundations, so why not use them.  These same Zoo purists have definite thoughts about what Animals they want and don't want.  It amazes me that a group of people so invested in Zoos (and this goes for not only these purists, but also the elitists within our Management/Society) who would ignore taking care at home first.  I've written this before, but you do right by those in your current care before bringing in new Beings to care for.  Sorry to digress but anytime I hear something related to this, its very upsetting.

So, back to my thoughts.  Some of the ideas that come to mind are similar to those you will see in one of those 2015 videos.  I talk about re-purposing the Triple Grotto.  I still think that's the best idea for renovation of that space.  There is so much unused topical space because of the moat.  I have always thought filling in the moat and glassing it in would be the best way to go to create more space, in the least expensive way.  Extending the topical space, would allow to keep the current familiar structures, as well as add in other landscape enrichment.  The three existing Grotto's could be one enclosure or it could be split, with the North and Middle, one enclosure, and the South and the cement walk area South of that, a second enclosure.  This way both Chimps and Orangutans can occupy that space.  The Chimps would have their night quarters in the Pachyderm Building and access to the Grotto's via the SkyTrail.  The Orangutans occupying the existing Chimp House.  There will be a SkyTrail connecting the new yard to the South Grotto, so interchanging the enclosures would also be an option.

So, back to wondering how work can be done on the Triple Grotto at all with only the Pachyderm area available to six Chimps.  There is still the North side of the Pachyderm Building.  There is indoor space, outdoor space at side of the building and the huge meadow area across the path, between the Binowee Aviary and the Food Depot.  Even if the Zoo didn't want to use anymore of the Pachyderm Building, that unused meadow area in my opinion is a prime location for an additional Ape Passage yard.  It could be built out while Triple Grotto still in use, and then used in place of it while under renovation.  After renovation, via SkyTrails it could be used for both Chimps and Orangutans.  I don't think building it out specifically for Orangutans would be doable, as a new "house" would have to be built then as well, adding to the price tag significantly.  But, a yard, totally doable. 

Seeing what they do next will be interesting.  I think there's a lot to consider, maybe even more than what I've currently thought about.  

I'm looking forward to Summer which is my estimate for this current stage to be finished.  I sure hope the Zoo documents and Shares! all the new experiences our Maggie, Minnie and Cobby will be having.   I want to see video of our Chimpers the first time they use the Skytrail!  The first time they explore the Playroom!  The first time they explore the new Yard!  The first time they see their new Friends!  It will be a long introduction process, so how will their first hellos be seen?  Will it be via howdy mesh?  Will it be via a window from across the path?  Will they wave to eachother from Grotto to Grotto?  I imagine this, assuming the new Chimps could go to North Grotto, while our current Chimps have access to Middle and South Grotto.   

I can't wait for them to have these new experiences.  I can't wait to meet their new Friends! It will be an exiciting time in all their lives and for those of us who have wanted this for them for so long.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Thanks for the post. Where are the new chimps coming from? Who are they? And why are they relocating? Wll anyone be split from his/her current family? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jen - Thank you for your comment. Apologies for the delay in publishing and replying. ... According to the Joint Zoo Committee Agenda Documents, two Females are coming from Zoo Miami and one Male from Oklahoma Zoo. ... I don't know which Chimps they are for sure. By process of elimination, the Females may be Bubbles and Samantha. The Male I don't know because they have three. ... Why these particular individuals were chosen I don't know. Why we are receiving additional Chimps, is because the AZA/SSP does not want any Zoo to have a low number social group. We had four for over twenty years. We lost one, and having three was a problem, especially as all are seniors. Our Director tried to kick out these three. Its a long story, you can read more on my blog Save San Francisco Zoo Chimps. I crusaded for them to stay and with public outrage that is what happened. A factor in them staying was they must increase their social group. This is why the three new ones are being transferred here. At the time of my crusade I identified several other Zoos with low number social groups, so there is probably other moves within Zoos being made to form better sized groups. I originally thought that the transfers would be from say another Zoo with three, to combine with our three. I was surprised to hear that individuals were being transferred from other established social groups. I don't have any information to share about how those dynamics will be affected. I too am always, with any Animal that we receive or transfer, worry on an emotional and compassionate level how this affects them and the ones they leave behind. I don't often agree with decisions made. In fact I'm writing a blog post about this subject on other species I've witnessed being shuffled about by the AZA/SSP. If/when I learn anything more about the specifics of the Chimps, I will post it. I have alot of emotion invested in our Chimps, their new Friends, and every aspect of this new adventure they are on.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.