Monday, March 5, 2018

Komodo Dragon - New Home Adventures!

Here's another look into Falcor the Komodo Dragon's life in his new home.  I will keep posting updates on his adventures and progress, now that he has space to enjoy his life.  It will do wonders for him to be able to excercise, and take part in enriching activities.  I'm just really happy for him.  I shed tears of joy, every time I see him in his new home.  I'm tearing now just writing about it.

Catching some sun from the skylight!

I've made a few new clips.  The first one is beyond cuteness!  I walked up in time to view Falcor getting brushed by his Keeper!  I had never seen this.  He was loving it so much!  Not sure who loved it more him or me!  So lucky to get to see this, and video a bit to share!

  Hey people where you going with that brush! 

Falcor Getting Brushed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W3H0VxpwAg&feature=youtu.be

In the video you hear me mention the idea of having brushes for him to use himself.  I passed two brush ideas onto the Keeper.  Hopefully they will give it a try and see if he likes it.  I think he will.  Also after seeing Angelo/Anteater pick-up a pine cone and use it to scratch himself (amazing right?!  no video sorry), I'm going to suggest that too.  Like a branch with the cones attached would probably be good if that's something he can have don't see why not.

While I was there, one of his Sprinklers came on.  I was hoping to see this, as I had heard about it.  After I took this video, I clairifed how it works.  There are four Sprinklers in different areas of the enclosure.  When one is about to go one, a sound goes off to alert him a Sprinkler is going to come on.  Then a light will indicate which Sprinkler it is, so he can go to it if he wants.  Love it!  ... You will hear me say in the video that I think it should stay on longer.  That's because he doesn't have full power in his legs, so unless he's closer, he won't get to it in time.  He did seem to want to go to it, but when he decided to, it went off.   Keeper said that since there are multiple ones, that the timing isn't an issue.  Hopefully that is true, because he sure perked up and seemed like he was interested in it.

Sprinkler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TEUx3FqnBQ&feature=youtu.be

I apologize,  I know I repeat myself, but after watching him several days now in this enclosure, I feel even more strongly that my concerns have been valid.  He needed to have more room to exercise post surgery.  The Zoo indeed did him a disservice by not having him in a new home before his health issue presented, which was well within the time frame promised when he arrived. In my opinion his recuperation would have been more successful (time wise) if he was able to exercise on his own daily.  He probably would have regained use of his back left leg if he had more exercise over the past two years.  Having him in a tank basically with no place to really move around, meant he had his physical therapy sessions and that was it.  Once the assisted (Therapist and Keepers) exercise was over, he just sat there.  Two years of just sitting there. If he would have had more space, he could have been exercising his hind legs, by moving around on his own.  Very Sad.

This video is more cuteness and him motoring about his new home.  His back left leg is still not the strongest, so it drags a bit, but he's getting around!  I've seen him make use of all the heat lamps, and chase the sun that shines down through the skylight (another great aspect of this enclosure).  The glare was less in the morning so I took opportunity to show more of the size of the enclosure and the skylight.
You can see into the enclosure,
pretty good here.
Gives idea of size, as well
you can see the skylight.

New Home Adventures!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqaUb7RJSh0&feature=youtu.be

In one of the clips I was talking about the temperature.  I asked what temp it is in there, as well what temp it needs to be for him to go outside.  Info I should have already known, but because they held off putting him in the exhibit until the temperature was regulated, now it was on my mind to ask. ... Inside its kept at 98 degrees, but can range anywhere from 80-120.  It will need to be at least 60 degrees for him to use the outside yard.

I can also be heard saying that Komodo's are only found on the Island of Komodo in Indonesia.  I thought that's what I read at one point, but I looked it up just to confirm and found that they are actually found in the Indonesian islands of Komodo, Rinca, Flores, Gili Motang, and Padar

Added 3.18.18  Uploaded yesterday, video of Falcor on his heated rock for the first time! For Video Updates, Subscribe or Check back to my YouTube Channel leo811sf, or Follow leo811 on Twitter.  

2 comments:

  1. I love that Falcor !!! The video of him being brushed is so cute. He is finally in an exhibit that he will really thrive in. You are a sweetie handsome Falcor !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. ... The brushing is the cutest!!! Glad you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.