Sunday, March 24, 2019

Chimpanzee Introductions! Cobby and Qadeer Sharing the Same Space!

Another piece in the new and enriching journey of our Chimps!

Last week, I happened upon the first day of introductions between Cobby and Qadeer!  So exciting!  I had no idea they were at this stage yet, as last I knew they were still at the distance stage, first of three, that included subsequent stages of separation by glass and then fencing.  So I was shocked when I shadowed the path viewing glass and saw Qadeer, then Cobby!

I had noticed that our three long-time residents had not had access to the Triple Grotto the visits I made the week before.  Someone said they heard that they were no longer going to be able to have access, as the Zoo was going to start renovating that for Orangutans.  I will post about this separately.   ... I only note it here as I have to wonder if introductions weren't fast-tracked because of the loss of access to the Triple Grotto and having the Dayroom as the Chimps only? enclosure area at this time?  Which would mean if they weren't introduced asap, then either Cobby, Maggie and Minnie would be locked in the Bedrooms, or Qadeer would.  You don't see the steam coming from my ears, but since the new yard is still no where near finished, if this is the actual scenario, that would mean the Chimps have no outside access.  The thought of this is very upsetting. 

I knew the plan was to introduce Cobby and Qadeer first (the two males), and then the girls.  You can view my video of short clips taken on my cell phone, as I was out of battery power on my camera, after spending the morning watching our Park Owls new babies!  You can view videos of the Owlets on my Youtube if interested.  
Ok, I digressed. I was so happy to be able to see this process in the early stages.  I didn't think it would be public, but lucky to have the experience.  I haven't talked about my interpretation with anyone, but as you can see, it seemed to be going very well.  I hope I'm right!

When I walked up, Cobby was in the top left corner, and Qadeer on the bottom.  For the most part Qadeer had range of the lower area and Cobby the top.  I watched for an hour and a half and while they stayed stationary in certain areas at times, there was initiation of play on Cobbys part, with what looked like him gesturing to Qadeer to join in the play.  While that didn't seem to put Qadeer off, he didn't accept the invite and retreated to the Keeper fence, where Curator Joe Knobbe gave him a mirror.  The mirror seemed to keep him comfortable.  ... The video opens with a smiling Cobby.  He was on top when I walked up and about twenty minutes later as he made his way around the room, he came over to the window, as he does when he sees me, and was smiling huge and gesturing about his new Friend!  I was happy that he wanted to share this with me, but also apprehensive to respond to him because I didn't want to interfere with what was going on, knowing Chimps behavior can easily change. I stepped back a bit and then he remembered the daily boot check, and stood up to see my boots.  So cute, he does this every visit!  Never gets old.  Then he sat back down, still smiling.  I didn't want him to think I didn't love him by not responding, so I smiled back and shook my head a bit to acknowledge and said, That's your new friend!  That's when I took the clip and he was still smiling, then went off.


I'm so happy that this appeared to be going smooth.  I was worried about us getting another male as Cobby hasn't been around another male for near fifty years.  Maggie and Minnie have never been with other Chimpanzees, except Cobby and our beloved Tallulah.  I Love our Chimpers, they have been great in behavior toward Qadeer.  Qadeer had it rough in his previous social group, so this needs to be good for all of them. 

The next day, was the same between them.  No close interaction, but I witnessed another initiation of play from Cobby.  Will add the link when I post it, and definitely to the first day video.

https://youtu.be/UgKkFD48ozY

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.