Sunday, April 14, 2019

Great Ape Update - Orangutans and Chimpanzees

Orangutans: 

The only thing new is that this past week there was work being done in the Triple Grotto night quarters.  Hopefully there is an appropriate renovation being done to the bedrooms that will properly house the Orangutans, which might be temporary or forever.   I'd still like to see brand new bedrooms eventually built, and an overhaul renovation to Triple Grotto.  

For now I'll rest this case and be happy that there is work being done, so they have a decent place to spend more than half their day.  Once the new GAP (Great Ape Passage) Yard is done, the Orangs and Chimps can rotate and hopefully at that time there will be work done to the 60 year old Triple Grotto to bring it current.

The rumor that one of the Orangutans is already here was most likely just that at the time of my post.  That said, both are due to arrive at anytime.  Since they are coming from separate Zoos, they will have to be quarantined separately, I don't know what the housing specifics will be, since I don't know the set-up in quarantine.  One may very well quarantine at Triple Grotto, so hope that work is finished soon.  Adding in introductions, we might not see Orangutans for a few months?  Which is fine with me, as I'd like to see them have access to the new Yard and Dayroom, versus Triple Grotto. 

Chimps:

Introductions without barriers between Qadeer and his new friends continues.  Cobby and Qadeer are best friends now!  I spied them sitting side by side in the skytrail last week, and almost cried.  So happy for all of them.



You can view video of Cobby and Qadeer on my YouTube: 

The Zoo finally re-did the Dayroom photos to include Qadeer.  He has been in public view for three months, about time.  ... Also about time that they mention him on their social media.  There has been not one mention anywhere, welcoming him here.  Why does it seem like the Chimps always get slighted?  So many missed moments with the Chimps that were never shared publicly. Glad I was able to witness many of them.   All viewable on my YouTube :)


You will notice they are now using the name Gombus.  This was the first name I heard , but when the Dayroom opened, the video playing used Gombo.  So, I used that screencap in my blog post.
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2019/02/zoo-renames-new-chimp-qadeer-becomes.html
Gombo, Gombus, whatever, it still has no meaning and is apparently just another word for the food dish Gumbo. I will Never use that name.  His name is Qadeer and has been for 33 years.  It should have remained that.  

Speaking of names/renaming, this weekend was the Zoo's annual fundraiser, ZooFest.  I know there was a list of names up for auction, I wouldn't be surprised if the Orangutans were on it and will get re-named aka their identity sold off. 

Hoping there was some fundraising done for renovating Triple Grotto.  The Chimps were never a priority at any Zoofest, but the Orangutans have been the Director and Donor's "want" for years, maybe they will get some attention shined on them and their needs.  
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.