Sunday, May 5, 2019

Meet Sally, the Zoo's new Komodo Dragon! - She's Falcor's Sister!

I'm a bit behind on posting about new Residents, but I wanted to post about Sally, so that people knew who she was and to share my video of her first hour out on exhibit!   ... Unfortunately since I was delayed in posting, during that time, Sally has already been renamed. UG. 

Sally is 6 years old and came from Omaha Zoo.  She was hatched in January 2011 at Memphis Zoo.  She shares the same Mama as our beloved Falcor! Possibly the same Papa.  I'm very happy to be able to know one of Falcor's siblings :) that is bittersweet.

Here's a link about the hatching of her clutch which hatched sixteen babie dragons!

https://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2013/02/komodo-dragon-memphis-zoo.html

I was told she is very smart and came trained in many ways.  At the time of her debut, she had been at the Zoo for two weeks and is still currently under quarantine, but is quarantining on exhibit.

She sure is a pretty little girl!  I love the markings over her right eye that look like eyelashes, and the spot on her lip that looks like lipstick.  She's a fancy :)  ... Look forward to knowing you Sally!

The arrival of a new Komodo so soon, was a bit of an emotional tug for me.  Those who know me or have read this blog, know how much I loved Falcor, who recently passed away.   I think that the Zoo had planned to acquire a second Komodo while Falcor was still here, so this was probably already in the works.  You will hear me say in my video, how I wish Falcor was here to meet her.  That said, any meeting they would have had, I assume would have been with a barrier, since I have not read of Komodo's cohabiting.  Based on that, I do find it curious that the Zoo would need a second Komodo, as they would have to be rotated and one would always be off exhibit.  I'm not a fan of keeping Animals locked in night quarters, while the other is on exhibit.  I don't think its ideal and certainly not necessary.  So, I hope there will not be a second acquisition in the Zoo's future.

I got lucky, and happened up to the Komodo exhibit within the first hour Miss Sally was out!  I was surprised, as I had heard one had arrived not long ago, but the previous week there was a sign on the window saying coming soon, and the next day the sign was gone, so I didn't know what the deal was. But there she was, in the exhibit and digging her way around the perimeter of the wall!  She had dug a hole in one area, that was about eight inches deep.  She was head first in it, up to her shoulders!  She is a cute little girl, giving those of us at the window, some face time!  

You can view my video of her first hour and second day adventures!

Also want to give the Zoo kudo's for keeping up Falcor's memorial sign, even though the exhibit has a new resident.  His young life deserves to be remembered.  ... I Miss You Falcor!



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.