Saturday, May 11, 2019

Zoo Hospital Destroys Nesting Duck's Eggs! - Happy Mother's Day NOT!!

I've been sitting here for days trying to decide if and how to write about this.  The first thing I saw on social media today (May 11, 2019) was this post by a Zoo I follow. 
How appropriate that Mallards are pictured!

Together with tomorrow being Mother's Day, I think the Universe is telling me I need to do this.  ... Ironic that I also just read the Zoo's Newsletter, celebrating Mother's Day.
On Tuesday, I passed by Chimps on my way to loop around Cats.  I noticed a female Mallard on top of the fence that borders the construction area for the new GAP yard.  I thought it was curious.  When I came back about a half hour later, she was still there.  I watched her, she was frantically vocalizing and repeatedly jumping down to the other side of the fence.  When someone came from the other side I asked them to look and see if there was a nest, eggs, or babies in the area her attention was on.  There was nothing there but pulled up greens.  I stood in that area near two hours, and the Duck did not give up.   Something was not right. 
Where are my EGGS?!!

Later I would learn more details.  This is the story as I know it.  Two non-Animal staff employees had done what they thought was best.  With no Mama around at the time, they removed the Eggs from the area within the construction site.  One had the thought to wait and see if Mama came back and try and lead her to a safer place to nest, but before that could happen, somehow the Eggs were taken to the Hospital and left in the hands of "Animal Care Professionals", assuming they would know the right thing to do.  I later heard through the grapevine that the Eggs were disposed of.  WHAT?!

Facts that I know first hand.  I was in the area of where the Eggs were removed from for near two hours, which was said to be about an hour after the Eggs were removed.  During those two hours, the Mama Duck was frantically looking for her Eggs.  Moving between sitting on the fence and flying down behind the fence on the construction side.  She even flew up on the skytrail, looking down all around for her Eggs. ...  At NO point during the time I was there (or reportedly the hour before), did anyone from the Hospital or any other Animal Staffer come down to check if the Mama had returned, in an effort to reunite her with her Eggs in a safer location.  THIS is the issue, plain and simple.

There were many who heard the story who have wondered the same exact thing that I did. WHY upon intake of Eggs at the Hospital, did no one come down to the site and see if the Mama was around, and attempt to reunite her with her Eggs?

Did anyone one on the Hospital staff or any Animal staff member, ask at the time of intake, Where did the Eggs came from?  How long had the Mama been gone?  Was the Mama still around?  Did anyone monitor the site where Eggs were found to wait for Mama to come back?  I know the answer to the last one, as illustrated above, so I can only assume the answer to the others.  Instead, the Eggs were disposed of.   THIS is a BIG FAIL on the part of the Hospital or anyone else there at the time the Eggs were brought there.

My ears are pulsating just reliving this.  I have been beyond upset about the way this played out since it happened.  I saw the Mama looking for her Eggs.  I saw how upset she was.  This was beyond wrong.  If someone at the Hospital had the sense and compassion to have just come down to the site,  they would have seen the Mama was back, and could have reunited her with her Eggs back and relocated them to a safer place.  A Mama Duck will follow her Eggs, and there is a garden area about seven feet from where her Eggs were.  It was a no-brainer, yet in the hands of "Animal Care Professionals" it didn't happen.  WHY?

Additionally, if for some reason, the Hospital staff was at a lack of thought on how to handle this, all they had to do was put out a call over the radio and ask if anyone had experience with this, because you know what, the first person I told about what was going on (before we knew the Eggs had been destroyed), asked, Why don't they just show the Mama the Eggs and lead her to a new spot?  BAM!  DONE!  ...  As I said, there was a spot for her, seven feet away.  I had a pic but not handy right now.  For anyone who knows the area, the garden area is by the Chimp path window.  

I know there will be people there that think I make a big deal about things, but too bad.  This is a big deal.  We are talking about living Beings and their emotions.  Whether or not you believe non-Humans have emotions, not only do I not care, but I can't help you, that's a whole different issue.  This Mama knew that something happened to her eggs, nature's container that was holding her babies, and it just was not right.   This was wrong, anyway you look at it.   Destroying those Eggs was WRONG!

I knew at the time, there was a Law protecting nesting Birds, I just didn't know the specifics.  When I got home I researched the law about this, and the first article about the Migratory Bird Act, that came up was posted to the Wildcare site.  For those who don't know, Wildcare is a rescue and rehab organization in San Rafael.  I have turned to them over the years for advice on a few occasions. I called them to confirm that my feelings about this situation were on point, that Mallards were protected and that the Mama could/should have been reunited with her Eggs and relocated.  Their answer was yes to all.  They did add that technically the original area should have been cordoned off until the Eggs hatched.  We were past that point and frankly, in my opinion, I don't think the Zoo would ever do something like that in this circumstance, geez they couldn't even return to the site and try to reunite. 

My first thought in the heat of things was to report this to Fish and Wildlife, but that's not going to help the situation.  The Zoo needs to do better.  Someone needs to address this situation. The Hospital Staff and/or anyone who was involved with the Eggs once they were turned over to the Hospital, needs to answer as to WHY? No one went to the site where Eggs were found, No one investigated the situation, No one tried to see if the Mama was there to reunite and relocate, and WHO? disposed of the Eggs? Those involved in that way with the Eggs were responsible for doing the right thing.  There was a way to make this right and it wasn't done.  

This situation showed lack of empathy, compassion, and thought.  It was not only a moral crime, but literally against the law.  I knew this, I don't know how anyone in Animal Care did not.  Or did they?  ... Maybe they only care about Animals in their collection?  I have to remember that it took three years of reporting about the Mallards flying into the window at Flamingos, before the Zoo would show some compassion and do the simple task of putting up Decals on the windows.  

I still just don't understand how something like this could happen.   I can guess, but it just seems, questionable things just keep happening over and over.  Its exhausting, upsetting and sad.  What happened to this Mama Duck is extremely sad.  

I'm sorry Mama Duck.  Hopefully next Mother's Day will be happier for you. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel so badly for mama duck. I agree totally with you on all points you brought up. The zoo does some very cruel things at times. This was thoughtless and without any compassion and also, just plain lazy. They were too lazy to go back to where the mama duck was frantically looking for her eggs. Sorry mama duck. I feel so badly for you.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.