Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Will the Orangutans Get a Home by their Anniversary?

Today will be three weeks since the Orangutans started having access to the yard.  From what I can figure, they get to go out twice a week.  So, over 21 days, they have been out of the caged tube approximately 6 times.

I haven't uploaded photos from my SD cards in quite a while, so this is a picture taken off the back of my camera from New Year's Eve when I saw them out in the yard.

When I wrote my last update about them going out,  I didn't write much of what I saw and my thoughts. I thought I'd wait, as I expected to see something else by now, but there has been nothing.  No maintenance to the area at all.  No paint prep for the night quarter building.  No NOTHING.  So, this means, there will apparently be no third area created anytime soon so the Orangutans can have daily access to a yard.  As they head into their nine month as Residents of the San Francisco Zoo, they still have no proper home.

Video I took yesterday.

A note about what I saw at Triple Grotto on 12.19.19  As I stood watching the Orangutans, I heard non-zoo staff inside the exhibit talking about measurements and one of them came out into the long trail and took photos toward the night quarter building. For me if attention was only paid to North Grotto, that does not seem to be the quickest way to get the Orangutans into a yard, unless its going to be a quick build just to get them out.  That would be curious, as there has been nothing quick about resolving this issue, or about what's best for the Orangutans.

As I've written, ideally South Grotto would be netted over immediately, so they have access to a yard now.  Then they can continue to take their time renovating an area in North and Middle Grotto that will compare in style to the dayroom and yard and complete the Great Ape Passage.  Anything less, in my opinion will be something they slap together just to get it done.  Then they can move on to other projects I hear are in the works, like the alleged plan to ship out our Tucker the Hippo, in favor of expanding the Black Rhino area.  THIS is another disgraceful plan in my opinion.  More on that another time.

So, as it usually goes I'm sure there are people on staff who will get their panties in a twist about what I've documented, but that's not my problem.  I write the truth.  There is no sugar coating the shameful situation that the Orangutans are in.

Fact: Orangutans brought with no proper space available for them.

Fact: After quarantine female Amoi had yard access seven weeks. ..Chimps then had to be on lock down in Dayroom.

Fact: After being here eight months both orangutans were given access to the yard. It had been four months since the female had been out. It was the first time, since his arrival eight months ago, that the male Ollie had been out.

Fact: There is still no third space, creating a place for the Orangutans to have daily outdoor access.

When members of the public ask staff about the Orangutans and where is their exhibit, they have no other option than to sell the illusion that has been forced upon them.   At least now, the rotating of the Orangutans into the yard is not a total lie but two days a week is not right.  They are also obligated to say, the Zoo is working on a plan for Triple Grotto.  That plan seems indefinite and that's just not good enough.

I don't know what prompted the Orangutans getting yard access or the people in Triple Grotto, but this all happened days after I sent out some emails.  That said, if connected, this should not happen because a member of the public complains. It should happen because its the right thing to do.

The Zoo Director, Tanya Peterson, should being doing better for our Animal Residents.  

Our Animal Friends deserve better.

At the end of April, the Orangutans will have been here one year.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


1 comment:

  1. I feel so bad for the Orangutans. This is such a disgrace that they live in a tube unable to stretch out their bodies. Director Peterson, please take note and get a proper grotto built asap for Ollie and Amoi.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.