Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Longest Night - Day Darkness at the Zoo - 9.9.20


The Day of Darkness was one of my reserved days.   As the morning went on, and no daylight appeared, I wasn't sure if the Zoo would even be open.   Glad it was.  It was pretty cool to be there for this possibly once in a lifetime event.  Unfortunate circumstances for this to occur, so hopefully Northern California never has wildfires this bad again, that would allow for a repeat performance. 

It had started to get a bit lighter about 9:30a, so when I arrived, it wasn't too dark, but just the heavy orange sky.  The dusk appearance made it felt like the old event, Member's Night.  I walked most of the grounds, to document how it looked and what the Animals were doing.  By 11a it started to get dark and by Noon it was like nighttime.  

The Animals looked a bit confused.  Of course I went to Chimps first, and for the first time I was able to see into the Dayroom from the path window with no glare!  They looked at me like, What are you doing here at night?  The Peccaries were the most curious.  All four lined up and stared at me, again like, What the heck?

These are my clips put together in three parts.  Some might be interesting, some might not.  A friend who watched part one, said it was, "Fascinating... eerie."

Part One: Entering, thru Apes, Chimps, Orangutans, One Horned Rhino, Cats, Black Rhino, Hippo, Peccaries, Wolves, Bears, Puente, Komodo, back to Apes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt4-d0voTyQ

Part Two: Chimpanzees in yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWFfHTlXNs8

Part Three: Savannah, Gorillas, to Children's Zoo, Farm, and out. ... Note through the trees in CZ you can see the actual orange color of the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZXvg6AmVo

I left just after 1p and it looked like it was 9p.  Not much orange sky at that time, but nighttime darkness. ... By 2:30p there was a weird daylight breaking through.

While it was a cool experience, despite the reason for it, there were also a couple of odd feelings in certain places.  One in the moment and one in hindsight. While filming at Cats, the lighting appearance of sundown, brought on a quick snip of a vision of the events of Christmas 2007.  Sadness for Tatiana came over me, so I quickly stopped filming and moved on.  Then, while playing my files to put together the videos, when viewing from Peccaries to Wolves, I realized how isolated I was in the dark, at the far end of the Zoo. It reminded me of when a visitor entered the Grizzly Bear enclosure in  November 2009.  At the time, I was outraged that visitors were still allowed to roam the Zoo in the dark, two years after Tatiana.  This was before I started cranky blogging, and instead wrote emails to the Director.  This one asked if she was waiting for another tragedy, noting that visitors should not be allowed to be in the Zoo, around Animal enclosures, in the dark and that the Zoo should be closed earlier when the time changes to Standard Time.  Director Peterson proposed a Winter hour schedule at the next Joint Zoo Committee Meeting.  ... That all said, there I was, wandering about in the dark, not a staff member in sight.  In hindsight, I'm bothered the Animals were left vulnerable during this day darkness.  I would have liked to see someone posted at breachable enclosures.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.