Thursday, October 15, 2020

Praying For The Safe Return of Our Lemur Maki

I'm interrupting the flow of the sixteen posts I have in draft, to say a few things about the news out of the Zoo late yesterday.  It's national now, but this is the first article out yesterday.

screencap from
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Lemur-on-the-loose-Primate-reported-missing-from-15648458.php
 

I had not planned to write about this, as it is not the Mission of this blog, or my position to break sensitive news.

First thing yesterday, I saw Police on site.  Gathered near the Lemurs with Zoo Staff, I knew something was not right. ... I didn't know whether the Zoo was going to make a public statement about it, but since it has, I want to include it.

Once I knew what happened, I just felt incredible sadness.  This poor innocent Being, ripped from his home and family, into who knows what kind of situation.  Poor Maki must be so scared.  My heart breaks for him.  I worry for his family too, who probably wonder what happened to him, and themselves traumatized by an intruder. ... Then I felt so much anger for anyone who played a part in his disappearance.  For decades I have not been a fan of people, and that has grown increasingly over the years and has culminated during this time of Covid with the extreme level of self-entitled behavior I see everyday.  I'm sick of it.  

Why would someone do this?  Why don't people have empathy and think about how cruel an action like this is.  Immediate memories of when teenagers stole two Koalas in 2000, for their Girlfriends, and the disappearance of Banana Sam nine years ago, for reasons unknown.   For some reason this seems more sinister.  Maybe because of all the illegal Wildlife Trade that is in our face on social media everyday.  I hope I'm wrong and some kid realizes the danger he has put poor Maki in, and he is safely returned home. 

In addition to the question why, there's the how and the subsequent, who.  Unfortunately I always make the mistake of reading social media comments.  Far too many jokes about this on Twitter.  It really bothers me that people would think this is something to joke about.  Other comments included, "inside job".   * I don't know about that, or feel comfortable sharing my theory of possibility, but an obvious thought is that you have to look at anyone not on staff who has knowledge about how these Animals are housed. ...  I hope that the Zoo has decent camera coverage around the perimeter, as well as other key points and that the Police are accessing street cams.   I would think there has to be footage of trespassers gaining entrance to the Zoo.

There was also a comment blaming Keepers. I know these Keepers and they love the Animals in their care.  I know how I feel, and this has got to be beyond upsetting for them.  For anyone to suggest a Keeper would do this is, isn't thinking about why Keepers get into this profession.  Most Keepers, especially those working under stressful environments, like our Zoo is at times, only stay because of their love for their Animals.  

While I have just talked about Keepers, I want to suggest to the Zoo something that came to mind after reading the initial news article.  Staffer Jason Watters notes that in addition to Maki's advanced age, he needs a special diet.  I think it would be advantages to put out a statement of care, so until the person who took him comes to their senses and returns him, he can receive as close to decent care and diet as possible.  Consider doing a video, preferably made by a Keeper, talking about Maki, how much he means to them and his Lemur Family, noting do's and don'ts, including what not to feed him, and what could be found in our local markets that he can and should safely eat.  It could only do good in keeping him as well as possible until he gets back home. 

Hoping everyone who reads this sends good thoughts and prayers precious Maki's way, and that we hear good news soon.

Plea to whoever has him, please do the right thing and allow him to come back home to his caregivers and family.  Contact authorities and return him safely.   Thank you.

* Note: If you are reading this again after the original posting, you may notice that I made some changes to the wording.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.