Sunday, April 25, 2021

What Does It Take To Get Thrown Out Of The Zoo?

I'm going to interrupt the posts I had from last weekend, to post this in a timely manner.

I wrote about this in the moment at the beginning of this week, while sitting in my car. I never write posts on the phone, but was very emotional and just wanted to get it out.  Phone glitched and I lost the original.  After that, I just needed to move on with my day and feel better.  

My usual visit days are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  As I headed to the Zoo Tuesday, I stopped to see the Owls at Sutro Park.  It was 8:30a and with my impending Zoo visit, my mind and emotions were still on something that happened at the Zoo the day before.  I experienced something I never have.  I didn't want to go to the Zoo.  By 10a I had decided not to and was really bummed.

I avoided people all day and had a great time with wildlife. Here's a photo of Papa Owl and of a Family of Western Bluebirds I watched for over an hour, as the fledgling was practicing flying, Mama and Papa with it, while they also flew to the cavity nest to feed their other chicks. 


So, back to what was bothering me.  Actually nothing new, the same old irritation at people not wearing masks.  What finally got to me this day, was the continued situation of the Zoo not throwing people out, who are deliberately offensive to other guests.  

What happened Monday, was the second time I reported a no mask situation and there was an attack on me that was not handled what I consider appropriately, and by that I mean the offenders should have been thrown out. 

So, I was walking on a path, and I saw two women coming toward me at a distance, one with her mask down.  I waited til they were about twenty feet from me, to see if she was going to put hers up.  With no place to distance myself, I motioned, and said, Can you put your mask up, we are crossing paths.  She looked at her friend, and put it up.  That should have been the end of it, but with the self-entitled it never is.  She stopped when she got to me and asked if I worked there.  I said, No, but I can easily call someone who does, who will then tell you the rules you already know.  She then says, You do you.  At that point I was ready to call Security, and I turn and her friend, is about two feet from me and has completely removed her mask, just to be a jerk.  They walk off.  Security happens by and I point them out and relay what happened, noting that the friend deliberately put forth what I consider a health assault and they should be thrown out.  Of course, I saw them again, so nothing happened.  ... I had previously called Security when a guy with two kids came and stood next to me at Gorillas, all not wearing masks.  I could have walked away, but why should I when there are rules.   I distanced myself and told him they all needed to be wearing masks, and he proceeding to school me on why they weren't, eventually calling me the Devil for even suggesting it.   I walked away and called Security.  Security talked to him, during which he was yelling at me and acting irrational.  His outburst actually had me a bit shaken.  When I saw Security later I asked what happened.  He said he filed a report and it was up to management to take action.  In my opinion calling me the Devil should have been cause for being thrown out, and if a Member (something they never ask offenders) further reprimand, but instead, he was was allowed to continue on with his day.  

I feel like the Zoo's policy coddles the offenders and the hell with protecting the other guests.   It's always been like that, even pre-pandemic.  I have reported people harassing and harming Animals and they don't even get thrown out.  I've even been sworn at for telling people not to throw stuff at the Animals, and Zoo management does nothing.  There's a sign of rules at the entrance that states something to the effect of, If you are offensive to another guest you may be asked to leave.  That has never been my experience.

I know Zoo management could care less about my experiences there and I know there are different rules for me than there is for other people.  Maybe these outcomes are just another case of that.  I guarantee, if I had sworn at someone or called them the Devil, I would have been banned from the place.

I know there are other guests being verbally and behaviorally assaulted and they just don't report it. There are alot of Members I see regularly and they are uncomfortable with the dining situation, people allowed to go maskless in general, crossing paths with them, and standing right next to them.  So, I'm not the only one who is sick of it.  One relayed an incident where she asked someone to put their mask up and was called a bitch.  This is all outrageous. Just because we are <cough> reminding people of the rules, we should not be victims and offenders should not go unpunished.  Non-members should to be asked to leave without a refund.  Members should be asked to leave for the day and have their memberships put on probation for at least a month.  

People know the rules when they make their reservations.  That should be binding.  Especially to Members.  I had an interaction at Chimps recently, that was a Wow moment. 

It wasn't crowded, I was in my circle, and two stroller mom's with additional kids approach.  They pass the open circle and stand in between, one about a foot from me.  I waited a minute, then pointed to the available circle, and said, there's a circle, we are supposed to be at a distance.  She sarcastically said, Oh we're going to do this?  I said, those are the rules. She didn't move and replied, You should stay home.  I thought, WTF? Are you kidding me?  I said, Well you should follow the rules.  I just stepped back out of my circle to distance myself.  When I did, I noticed she was wearing a Guardian Member lanyard.  So disgusted that a Member, told a random guest they shouldn't come to the Zoo, and because it was based on following rules.  I didn't report it, because nothing would have happened.  

This is what happens when rules aren't strict (leaving it up to basic signage and people's own responsibility) and there are no consequences for not following them.

I know there is always going to be some jerks who just won't follow rules, but frankly the Zoo can do better with the no mask issue.   Especially when it comes to the roaming maskless eating and drinking situation, that has become out of control.  I've wrote about it before, but maybe I need to post again and put some thoughts in their collective brains that haven't produced good protocol in the past year.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you had to deal with the zoo visitor maskless jerks...what bad experiences but then again the zoo always whimps out with correcting visitors. It's only going to get worse because of the mask rules being changed in June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie - Thank you. ... Well I've waited so long to reply that we are now is the time of people going maskless. Of course the Zoo does not say you can but they have taken away all entrance signage except one, so yes that means its A left to interpretation, B inconsistent as only SFZoo know how to do, and C in places like at Chimps, that means some people don't even have masks with them, or they will battle you about it. More to say, will do a post at some point. Just very bothered by the whole thing, in and out of Zoo. That said, the Zoo is an enclosed environment, just without a lid. So when it's crowded, there really is no place to swerve to avoid being around the maskless. The Mandates are not set up to protect those who want to keep protecting themselves and those who for whatever reason are not vaxed. And being surrounded by the maskless with no outlet is troublesome. I know Staff that are uncomfortable with it. Oh well we just have to deal or not go.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.