Saturday, December 4, 2021

Antwerp Zoo Hippos Contract Covid - First Time For This Species

Will Zoos finally learn that it is unknown what species are vulnerable and stop taking risks with Animals lives by letting the public have contact with them?

I'm not saying any Zoo Animal whose had or has Covid contracted it from the public, I'm saying, why add another risk factor into the situation

In my first blog post last weekend, I wrote about my concerns about the Zoo reopening the Family Farm.  

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2021/11/zoo-farm-re-opening-curious-timing.html

I had not only read in the early days of Covid that farm Animals could be vulnerable, but there had been a recent case of Hyenas contracting the virus, the first Zoo species outside of Primates and Big Cats.  That together with the simple fact that the masses, including government health organizations, seem to forget when spewing their neverending yo-yo of guidelines, we are still in a Pandemic!

Since last weekend, the new variant has reached our shores.  No surprise it landed in San Francisco first considering the self-entitled's that saturate this town.  Yes, I'm airing frustrations that I've held continuously for twenty months.  Yesterday alone in just one store, three people mask underchin, and one Pinocchio staffer, about to reach over me.  The day before, an offender took off his mask to sneeze all over some food, another lowered it to say something to me, and yet another chin strapper coughed out while going down escalator.  Seriously, we are all potentially screwed with this kind of behavior.  That all said, no one should be allowed to touch the Animals.

So that brings me to the news last night, that two Hippos at Antwerp Zoo have contracted Covid.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Belgian-zoo-says-its-2-very-runny-nosed-hippos-16672646.php

Not only does this lend to support my concern and disappointment that our Farm Friends are being put in a vulnerable situation with every hand that touches them, it also supports my thought, that no one knows what species are vulnerable.  Every Animal should be protected at the very least by a hands-off policy.

Another reason I'm writing about this is, since our Tucker has been at Cincinnati Zoo, I have been following him on the Fiona the Hippo Facebook group.  Visitors have made posts almost daily that include Tucker, as well at least half a dozen have posted photos from their behind the scenes Animal Experience with the Hippos there and in other Zoos.  The first one I saw, everyone was masked.  Then there was a Zoo in Florida and one in Texas.  I was shocked to see no one masked.  I prayed the Animals stayed safe and chalked it up to being "those States".  Then more from Cincinnati and I was really bothered to now see no masks on anyone, including the Keepers.  I messaged them and let them know I found it irresponsible and risky.  Coincidentally, the next Animal Experience photos posted showed everyone wearing masks.

A couple times, I voiced my concerns on these maskless posts.  Not many shared my concern and mostly, I became the target of Cincinnati Zoo Zealots.  No problem for me as I'm used to not having the popular opinion.  So, when this news came through last night, I posted it to the group, pointing out that my concerns were valid.

Moderators didn't publish my post, but instead, one this morning, with no commentary.  It still surprises me how afraid the masses are of controversy and debate.

I pray these two Hippos in Belgium make a full and speedy recovery.  

I pray all Animals stay safe, and that all Zoos will cease situations that involve non-Zoo Animal Care staff from having contact with all species of Animals.  They depend on them to keep them safe, not be reckless with their health, by allowing the public contact with them.

Everyone must remember that even though the Vaccine is erroneously called a Vaccine, it is not Immunity.  It does not protect anyone from contracting or spreading the virus.  Masking and good hygiene protocols should be followed.  ... Speaking of which,... 

While the Zoo is checking Vax Cards for entrance to the Farm,  I watched as people coming and going from the Farm last week, people only sanitized or washed their hands after touching the Goats, an effort that only protects themselves.  

Considering the Vaccine is not Immunity and people must be masked,  I would think it more important or just as important to make sure thst peoples hands are clean.  People could be asymptomatic, or have come in contact with virus on a surface.  Maybe they havent sanitized or washed their hands since touching stuff or using the restroom.  They could touch the Goats nose or mouth and transmit to them.  

SFZoo,  What's protecting our Goats from what's on the peoples hands? 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




2 comments:

  1. Zoonotic diseases. I learned this back in the 70's via San Diego Zoo. In the name of raising quick cash under concern conservation, saving species, humans in our ways forgot the simple things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I am very concerned that our zoo goats and other farm animals are in jeopardy of covid. Not only are they exposed to people, people are touching where others have touched. I really don't think the Family Farm should have opened up yet.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.