Saturday, October 15, 2022

SFZoo ReNames Pygmy Hippo - Akobi Becomes Udo

It's just after 3am, and after a good stretch of sleep, I'm wide awake and irritated.

It's been a busy time, but I planned to try and finish my Pygmy Hippo post (about the enclosure) this weekend, then someone alerted me to the Zoo's announcement of THEIR name for him.  Which is NOT his original name.  That, like with every Animal who moves to SFZoo, has been stolen from him.  

Unfortunately, I knew it was coming, but as it always does, the disrespect of ReNaming a Being that already has a name, an identity, still hurts my soul.

In my previous post (link at bottom), I noted WHO this new Friend IS.  His name is Akobi.  He was given this name soon after birth, at the San Diego Zoo.  It's the only name he's known.  

Why does the San Francisco Zoo have to erase every Animal's Identity by changing their name?  It's a sad and sick compulsion.


ABC7 news did a piece, that contains some cute video footage of Akobi.

https://abc7news.com/pygmy-hippo-sf-zoo-hippos-endangered-species/12329832/

Previous Post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2022/09/meet-sfzoos-new-pygmy-hippo.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. Hello. It's 5:43am. I wanted/needed to write about ROSE the Oakland Zoo Rescue. I know this is not the topic of this posting, but I wanted to share my recently experience having seen ROSE. I was able to upon visting the Living Desert Zoo on Tuesday Nov. 1st . Impressive zoo by the way, and first visit there ever. I was very lucky both Sage and Rose were on public exhibit that day. As the 2 rotate exhibit with current lone elder female cougar. Both cats slept like photo's indoors at oakland zoo on a hammock type bed back of exhibit. Rose slept onto, while Sage conceled himself hidden underneath. Upon talking to keepers they mentioned Sage is one who takes time to be comfortable in the exhibit why he is conceled. So interesting enough in captivity one can truely see wild cougar behavior. Which leads me to ROSE. I was observing her for well over an hour, she started to come alive late in the afternoon. I was able to see her moving paws and head turning. When keepers came by they tried training techigues to get her out of bed and move about using small dead nice as bait. The whistles and coming out wasn't working. When they left for a bit ROSE did arise and explored some of the exhibit and cautionly moved about. Very, Very interesting a man in a chair scooter stopped by and ROSE went into a stalking mode inching toward man hiding behind vegetation in the exhibit. It was interesting to see this behavior because here she was doing this natural behavior, and it's projected she would have learned this only via her mother. But she was now displaying this type of behavior sneaking up on what could of been prey.
    ROSE is more out going than SAGE. SAGE is very shy and takes time, though keepers say he is well customed to indoor space as much like Oakland Zoo indoor space. So indoors SAGE is a different animal and eggs on ROSE to play!!! I got a lot of great pictures. Just really needed to share with you updates. Only was at the zoo one day, it was just a brief 3 day vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi junglejim! Thank you for this wonderful update on Rose and Sage. That's awesome you were able to visit them. I apologize it too a few days to post comment. I really like your words and details and was trying to decide if I could fit this into the blog as a stand alone post. Still thinking. If you want to correspond by email and discuss, I'd also love to see your photos. Reply with your email address, which of course will only show to me and not be posted. No obligation.. Much appreciate you sharing what you have. Thank you!

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.