Thursday, September 10, 2026

Dino's Extended - That Means No Access to WalkAbout+ Continues

Ugh, started my block of days IN for the weekend last night and realized not a thought for the blog!  It was a glorious thing.  It was short lived.

Interesting chain of events this morning.

9a - I was thinking of the date in relation to Dino's.  I didn't get to the Zoo this week, and realized the end of Dino's was Saturday, and that it could be a couple weeks of Dino take-down before I could visit Boomer (the Emu at WalkAbout).

10a - Zoo's email Newsletter with this comes through.


11a - A friend messaged me about this extension of Dino's.  

I'm all for attractions that are going to bring money into the Zoo, but in my opinion it's a problem when regularly included attractions, specifically Animal Enclosures, are closed to regular visitors.   

Before Dino's, I visited Boomer every week.  I hate to pick favorites, but he and Gauhati (One Horned Rhino), are mine.  These Friends have a piece of my heart.  As well, and I hate to even say this (but it is a thought during this restricted access), both are getting up in age and every visit is cherished.

When Dino's first started I planned out paying for it every few weeks for the three months, just so I could visit Boomer.  Now there's four more months?   

I'm sorry, but it's insanity that WalkAbout and Cassowary for that matter will continue to be closed.  Aside from my personal upset about diminished time with Boomer, that's seven months+, of two Animal Enclosures off view, in a place that already has a dwindling collection.

I had sent an email to Marketing suggesting they figure out something along the lines of free entry to those who have already paid, to be able access these Animal Enclosures.

Within today's announcement, it's noted that new Memberships will include tickets to Dino's.  I guess that something, but doesn't address the exclusion to those who are either already Zoo Members or are regular visitors with no Membership.   

Personally, I chose not to renew my Membership this year for a couple reasons.  I can't currently afford a full price Membership, and at the time, I wasn't sure what the future held for Our Zoo.  Since I have EBT, I chose to use the Museums For All discount instead.  My last Membership had a Community Discount that was 50% off Memberships.  That was doable, but they did away with it.  I'm two years from Senior level and next level is useless since I don't need a second card.  In my (selfish?) opinion, they are lacking an affordable level.  Maybe the Senior level should be Seniors and Singles!

Anyway, I got no problem with buying an EBT ticket, but would prefer to have a Membership.  YET, in the current issue with access to Boomer, that would still not help.

Those who have already paid (and repeatedly) for Dino's, visit regularly, and clearly have no need to see Dino's again and again, should be given access to WalkAbout and Cassowary.


Visiting Boomer week before last.   Spent a half hour with him, since it had been a few weeks.   For many years, he is used to seeing me every week, and I think he enjoys it.  No matter where in the enclosure he is, he comes down to me and just hangs out.   We have a routine and it's sad that I don't get to see him weekly.   And he don't understand why that is.

Anyway, this could just be my feelings since I'm so endeared to Boomer, but if you're bothered for some reason as well, and inclined, give a shout out, to the Zoo's... CEO/Director, Cassandra Costello ( cassandrac@sfzoo.org ) VP of Marketing, Paulo Vergara ( paulov@sfzoo.org ) and Director of Communication, Nancy Chan ( nancyc@sfzoo.org )

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

> Previous Post:

Bison Paddock Update & Related Bullshit

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2026/09/bison-paddock-update-related-bullshit.html

> Comments:  Note that Anonymous Comments are accepted.  I moderate all comments before publishing.  If you are using this form for a non-publish correspondence, please note "Personal" on it.  Thank you for your participation and/or feedback.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I used to use (search) labels, but too often forget.  I started noting "Hot Topic" in title, but fell lax on that.  Now I'm just going to add labels, keywords, etc., here at the bottom with hashtags.  Does it help in searches, who knows.

#SanFrancisco , #SanFranciscoZoo , #Zoos #SanFranciscoZoologicalSociety  , #SanFranciscoZooCEODirectorCassandraCostello , #FormerSanFranciscoZooDirectorTanyaPeterson , #SanFranciscoRecreationAndParksDept , #FormerSanFranciscoMayorLondonBreed , #SanFranciscoMayorDanielLurie , #AssociationOfZoosAndAquariums , #AZA , #SpeciesSurvivalPlan , #SSP , #Animals , #Wildlife , #Nature , #AnimalWelfare , #AnimalCruelty , #AndeanBear , #KomodoDragon , #Chimpanzees ,  #PatasMonkey , #Fossa , #Orangutans , #Barriers , #PerimeterFence , #Pandas , #Bison ,  #Gorillas ,  #Lemurs , #Lions










 






No comments: