Sunday, September 13, 2026

Unfavorable Comment Submitted About New CEO/Director - My Reply

This comment was attached to my previous post.  As I wrote out my reply, it became pretty lengthy.  I replied in brief on that post, but decided to include my reply in full, in a stand-alone post.  I did so, not just because of the length, but because I have heard different opinions, ranging from those who aren't happy, but only have a couple things to note, to those who are on the fence, to those who are optimistic, and then there's me, who has had a lot to say, about a lot of things, both pro and con.  That said, this was the first that was completely unfavorable.  I'm curious how many others share this commenter's assessment?

Of course, most of my words have been expressed in previous posts, but  maybe there will be something new for someone.   As well I apologize to all, for times I digressed from just responding to the comment, to getting more blogg-y with my words.

Anonymous - Costello is a facelift. The aesthetic is slightly different, but the toxicity remains inside. Executive leadership remains inadequate and inefficient in animal welfare and workplace culture. They push all those with knowledge and qualifications out. You need to smile and agree with the bad decisions in order to fail upwards like the executives. Costello’s favorite word to use of late is “transparency” which is interesting considering she operates with just as much insincerity and duplicity as the previous under-qualified CEO. Shame. So many staff members are incredible, and the animals are amazing. It is a shame the zoo is still being poorly managed. No faith left.

@Anonymous -  Thank you for your comment.  I saw the email for moderation as I was closing up for the night.  I waited til morning to publish and reply, as coincidentally, I had just been in a messaging conversation in which the comparison between Cassandra and Tanya came up.  So, your comment was interesting timing, and contained some surprising words, and possibly some insight depending on where your feelings are rooted.  So, very much a welcomed additional take on How Cassandra is doing in her first year.  Your comment is actually the first seemingly completely unfavorable assessment that I've heard.  

Without having met Cassandra, I can only go by what I've seen.  I do not believe that she is anything like Tanya.  Tanya didn't care about Our Animals, Our Zoo, her Staff, or actually doing the job she was tasked with.  Same general lack of care still comes from the Board.  Cassandra seemingly cares, and that's a huge change.  It's a change that I think for the most part has created a better work environment.  I do think that morale and optimism may have possibly taken a bit of a dive among Staff, and certainly even lower with me, with some choices (Chimps and Lions) and direction the Zoo is going (Pandas).  

I fully realize and sympathize with the shit show she walked into, but it's been a year and there have been some huge bad decisions made, and not enough effort in trying to avoid making those decisions.  I speak specifically of evicting Our Chimpanzees and Our Lions.  

I see little things that are meaningful changes and additions, but I can think of more little things that would make a difference that haven't happened.  I know not everything can be fixed overnight, but come on, the perimeter fence thing!  Leaving a fallen fence in the front of the Zoo for six weeks, is just not right.  I don't discredit the different vibe or attention to trying, but for it being a year, I expect more.  I expect multi-tasking to up the level of Our Zoo in every way possible.  I am completely disappointed that one of the first priorities was not fundraising specifically for a new enclosure so we don't lose Our Lions.  Losing Our Chimpanzees and Lions is straight out of Tanya's playbook, and nothing in her plans should have been brought into the fold of new leadership.

I don't like that Our Chimpanzees are on the eviction list, but while I think there are ways to keep both, I think time is an issue for Lions and an easier project in regards to build time and cost, than Chimps and the Triple Grotto rebuild.  

After a year of searching, still no new home for Chimps has been found.  If same happens with Lions, maybe the time will soon come for the Board and City to invest in a new Lion enclosure, and rebuild on the Triple Grotto for Chimpanzees.  The Zoo has said both species will return (if they leave), but by my estimation, that realistically won't be for seven to twelve years.  It's the Board and City's fault Our Zoo sunk so low, they should be investing in these two current Residents now.  We would not be losing Our Chimps and Lions if the City had been paying the Zoo a management fee that included a yearly cost of living increase, and the Board had been appropriately managing Our Zoo.

So, time will tell many things in regard to the level of success Cassandra will have.  To date, I think she is just trying to hold it together.  Her to-do list seemingly looks like this...

1) Keep Zoo financially afloat.

2) Pass Accreditation

3) Bring in Pandas

The later is a sore point with near everyone, but there are two things to consider...

-Cassandra is seemingly mostly forging ahead with this because she has to.  The Board and Mayor are seemingly pushing for it.  As well most Officials think it will Save Our Zoo.

-My concern is after no one caring, and I'm specifically speaking to the Board, to work to Keep Our Chimps and Lions, Animals already living at Our Zoo, funds will have been wasted courting Pandas and none will arrive.  Just because they want them, and may well build for them, doesn't mean China will send them.

Yes, I agree, there is no change in transparency.  It started with the few media mentions alluding to Panda fundraising and timeline.  Then I began to see other topic evasion, with only alluding to the future, without actually divulging anything. Since, I learned that Zoos are basically gag ordered by China not to talk about Panda terms and process, there's nothing that could be done about that.  So, the public isn't going to know anything, until China actually says Yes, and that won't be until an enclosure is completely done, and inspected by Chinese Officials.  That could take years even though anytime Pandas are mentioned, the words read like they are coming soon.  

There are topics that I know not only myself, but others would like to know what the plan is, since there has been no mention of much of anything. So, lack of transparency seems to play a part in that aspect as well.  Holding things close to the vest as the saying goes, does not bode well for a public that has suffered through Tanya's destruction, and doesn't want to guess at what Our Zoo's future looks like.  It has been pointed out to me, that Cassandra has not done any real interviews.  Maybe she doesn't want to answer difficult or controversial questions?  If she does, I have a list!  


No comments: