Saturday, February 24, 2018

Komodo Dragon In His New Home! - Falcor's So Happy! Video links!


 Falcor says, 
"I'm Finally Out of 
that Damn Terrarium"
 


The long awaited viewing of Falcor in his new home!  https://youtu.be/-c3oxL_i9NE

I don't think anyone can ever understand how happy I am to see Falcor in his new home!  This was yesterday (2.23.18) I cried then and again just putting together the video clips of seeing Falcor in his new home for the first time.  I love this little guy so much, and he waited so long.

This Babie has been at the Zoo since August 2013.  With a new home promised to him within a year and a half (before his health issue).  Its been a huge disrespect to this Being that he has had to live in an inappropriate home for so long.  An Animal his size should not be living in a Terrarium that is barely double the length of his body.  Shameful.  It will always break my heart that he had to be subjected to that.   I hope he will be so happy in his new home, he will forget being stuck in that awful tank.  I love Falcor and hope he thrives and grows big and strong in his new home.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last weekend I posted two videos that I had planned to use in a post that I never got to.  Including them in this one.  

This video was taken several weeks ago.  https://youtu.be/lcwwrZP80wI  ... Watching this and hearing my narration, I have to wonder WHY? was this enclosure even enclosed?  By that I mean why is it indoors?  He should have been able to look outside from the start.  This enclosure was a FAIL in every aspect.  This Precious Being was denied so much Enrichment in his life for years.  I never saw Enrichment inside his enclosure, except for a couple Halloween events, and he certainly was denied being able to have any visual Enrichment by not being able to see the outside world. 

Video showing addition of plastic plants to enclosure. Taken week of 2.12.18 ... https://youtu.be/TI_DzNro1pw

I have since talked to the Keeper about the choice of plastic plants.  Since I may have been judgmental, in this video, I thought would delete it and include an updated version, I decided to keep it and just add information, as I have not been the only one who was disturbed to see all the fake greenery, and won't be the last.  So, Falcor has been in the enclosure and has not tried to eat the plastic plants, which was a concern of mine.  I was told he wouldn't as they have no scent like any food he would eat.  There is one real plant and they are testing how plants will grow in the enclosure before putting more in.  That makes sense.  The plastic hanging Ivy was added to cover wiring.  I understand this line of thinking.  I still am not a fan of the choices. I would have kept the one real plant and that's it.  I really think the plastic plants at ground level are too much.  Maybe the ones away from the window would give a real appearance, but the ones on the log at the window are too much, too obvious and especially draw your attention to all the plastic. Maybe if those weren't there I wouldn't hate on the hanging Ivy, which in my opinion is overloaded.  Maybe a bit wouldn't be awful without all the other stuff, but all at once, its hard to embrace. But, everyone has different design ideas and preferences.   I can't nit pick at this too much because, at least he's out of that Terrarium!

I also heard a couple weeks ago, that there will be timed misters and heat rocks.  I don't know if they are already installed or not.  Sounds good!

I would like to see some grass in the outdoor area, since its sand both inside and out.  I asked about this and was told, they are trying to keep it native to the Island, that has no grass.  I haven't researched this, but there must be some kind of ground vegetation.   My opinion is that Zoo Animals are captive and any kind of Enrichment you can provide them should be provided and in this case, it would be nice if at least half that outdoor area had the option of grass. 

I took this video on Tuesday (2.20.18) about the glass glare, original exhibit design pertaining to that and a suggestion on fixing the problem.  ... https://youtu.be/m2bAcJLSBwg 

You can see the glare is a Big problem.  Sad.  ... https://youtu.be/22PcR07nnac

So many people are coming to see Falcor!  More than ever!  So happy!  BUT Its hard to see into the exhibit.  Almost everyone has said something about the glare.  Everyone has to put their hands up to shield the reflection.  The whole window reflects theoutside. This really should have been taken care of before he got in there. Hopefully there's a plan to do something about it.  They build this great new home for him, people need to be able to see him! 

There were so many people that came by to see Falcor and were commenting on how much better this home is for him.  The Zoo failed him by not having this done within the original time frame they promised after first acquiring him.  Thankfully, this fail is in the past.

Previous Komodo Dragon of interest.  Contains history and journey to this point.
http://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/02/komodo-dragon-to-finally-get.html

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for Falcor and his beautiful new home. The video was so sweet. I just love him, made me cry tears of joy for him. He looks very content. Thank goodness he's outta that old space and has a beautiful new home to grow in and enjoy. Thank you so much for the update and video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. Always appreciated! ... Glad you are enjoying the updates! I too love his new home! I have a huge smile seeing him so happy!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.