Sunday, February 25, 2018

Chimpanzee Expansion Update

Gosh I have been working on this all day long.  After going through my Chimp blog savesfzoochimps.blogspot.com  looking for a couple photos, I got to reading through so many of my posts and have had an emotional afternoon.  I decided with the three year Chimp Save Anniversary tomorrow, I will write a separate post about that.

So for the updates!

I made a video a couple weeks ago  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwpynyHM9mY
I uploaded and planned to post it last weekend and never got that far.  At this point they had not started to set the SkyTrail poles.  Update shows progress and thanks everyone for helping in my Crusade to Save Our Chimps.

I made another video with several clips from last week.  It shows a couple different view points.  Usually I have filmed from the Triple Grotto view, this one starts by showing the South side.  The area that is in the red circle on the map cap below.  


The photo below is added to the video, 
but I'm not sure how easy it will be to read, 
so including it here as well.

The update is really good!  I'm happy that a part of the original plan that was initially a wait and see if we are going to do it, has been approved and I was told recently added to the current project build!  Last week they broke ground on it!  It will be for an outdoor area along side of the Pachyderm Building.  If you are familiar, its where the old Black Swan enclosure was plus neighboring areas. The original finish date for the project, Indoor and SkyTrail was Spring.  I'm estimating a four month build like with Komodo Dragon, and hoping it will all be ready by Summer.

Here's my video of the Update for the described area and of the SkyTrail progress!  Poles and partial bottom have been set!  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gNurVF8zeo                     

I don't read the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting Agendas or Minutes regularly anymore.  Mostly because there is usually something that will irritate me so I tend to do a catch-up every so often instead.  As the Chimp Expansion has progressed, I made a point to check the Documents a few weeks ago to see if any entry for Chimpanzee Acquisitions has been made.  I have asked a couple of people and everyone claims nothing is set yet, which is hard to believe.  In fact I asked someone this past week, after knowing this had already been published.  This is someone who was most likely at this very Meeting.  They said, "Not yet.  Build it and they will come."  I made some comment about It being a Dream (as in the Field of Dreams reference).  So I guess we are to keep on Dreaming?  Dream no further people, this is actually happening!  ... I did some research and it seems Zoo Miami may only have two females, named Samantha and Bubbles.  So, they may be our new girls!?



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update on the sky trail.
    I am so excited that it's happening and our precious chimps will get to enjoy it. I thought this was never gonna happen but yeahhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. ... Yeah I too thought would never happen, but our precious Chimpers waited them out! Its happening and their lives are about to be full of new experiences!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.