Sunday, April 22, 2018

Animal In Danger? ... Please Take Action! ... Resource Info

Well, the weekend is closing on me again and I still have several posts in draft that I have been trying to finish and post for a couple of weekends now.  Last weekend was a bust, as mid-week I was told about a very disturbing incident at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. I was so upset the following days that other than trying to help that situation, I got nothing done. So, even though the posts I have in queue flow from the last post I did, I'm going to insert this one here for Awareness, in hopes it reaches even a few people and lives can be saved.

The incident is as follows.  Early Wednesday (4.11) morning, I was watching the Great Horned Owl Nest in the Park.  The self-titled (much like I am the "Director" of this blog) "Director" of San Francisco Nature Education, approached a friend of mine and told him about one of the Heron Nests at Stow Lake.  For those who don't know, there is a tree at Stow Lake where up to seven nests have been seen over the years, as the Great Blue Heron nests there annually.  One of her friends had witnessed a Nest with Chicks, fall out of the tree, to the ground on the Island below.  She said, "Nothing could be done."  This happened Monday afternoon. When the story was relayed to me, I was horrified, and of course had questions as to whether anything was done.  I know for fact the Boathouse would work with Animal Care and Control to get to the Island to check on the Nest.  I immediately called Park Patrol and asked if there had been any calls about this.  No.  I then called ACC.  No reports in their system.  They asked me to call back if I get anymore information.  I went over to Stow to see for myself if I could see anything, and from shore you really can't.  I was so upset and felt helpless.  

When I got home, I emailed the "Director", Nancy, I asked her about the nest, questioning if anyone was called.  She replied, ignoring my question and just saying, it fell, nothing could be done, sad.  I replied, explaining that something could have been done, and that ACC should have been called. She didn't reply.  I emailed and asked again, as well questioning who made the decision that, "Nothing could be done."  Her reply was hostile and again provided no information.  This interaction was over the course of the next day.  Before getting any of her replies, I got up Thursday morning and made some calls.  I called ACC again and they again confirmed they would have went out if there was a call at the time it happened and would certainly go out now if I had more info regarding where it fell.  Basically they needed first hand witness info.  I called Park Patrol again, since I talk to that Dispatcher often, shared my frustration and he ended up connecting me to Stow Lake Supervisor Andy Stone.  I relayed the story to him and he responded, something like, I understand what you're saying but I don't know how to respond.  So, I made it easy for him.  I said, I would like you to get a boat from the Boathouse, go to the Island, and search for the Nest.  He said he couldn't do it today, but would do it tomorrow am.  I thanked him and asked him to update me.   I called ACC back and got a different Dispatcher, who took all the information and said she would call Andy as well.  The next morning Andy left me a message that he went out to Island in a boat and looked but couldn't see a Nest or see/hear any Chicks.  I don't know if he got out of the boat and went on the island, which is what I would have wanted, but at this point, I had done all that I can do, and I'm grateful he at least went out.  All that was left to do was Pray that the nest broke the fall and that the Parents were able to care for the Chicks on the ground.  I hope to one day soon see big babies fledge from the island.  I'm still sad that I couldn't do more.  Sad that no one else did anything at the time.

I have for years, continually been in situations where I've heard of Animals in distress or being harassed, and no authorities have been called.  I just don't understand this.  I have to assume people just don't know who to call?  If I don't assume that, I must assume that people just don't care.  What is most disturbing about this incident is that someone who runs a Nature Education program, had the information and by all accounts from Park Patrol and ACC, she nor the people who witnessed this horror, allegedly did nothing.  Sad.

If you spend anytime in our natural areas, please make note of the contacts I've put together in this flyer.  I have had these numbers in my phone for years and have used them many times.  I share them with friends I spend time with in the Park, or random people who I get in conversation with.  Each time in the past when something happens, I think I need to try and do something about it. I have wanted to do more outreach, but just never get that far.  I'm going to try now to take a few steps further in creating Awareness.  I started a new blog and Facebook Page, San Francisco Wildlife ER Resource.  I haven't added much yet, but hope to include information for SF and all the surrounding areas.

For now its just this information.  Feel free to copy and share.  Thank You.


2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the awareness you are trying to spread with this resource info. I too enjoy the wildlife in the park, especially the birds. My favorite friends are the three Domestic ducks at Spreckels Lake who I have visited for the last two years. The worry for these animals hits hard for me right now as the two female domestic ducks at Spreckels have vanished recently and the only one left is their mate, the big gray duck. I have hopes they have wandered off to hatch, and they will be back in about a month. Anyways, it is great to know other people that care about our animal friends in the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Annonymous - Thank you for your comment. I am so glad you have posted here, as I love those three as well and went by yesterday only to see the girls gone. I used to go more regularly, but haven't been in several weeks. No matter if I missed a week, all three would start talking and come to me. I gave them names, as you probably have too. They do become friends, and it broke my heart to see the male alone. He was going all about vocalizing. So sad. I felt so awful and guilty for not seeing them in too long. I too hope they have chosen this year to nest and that is what is going on. I wasn't sure how long they had been gone, so again thank you for this information. I will go Monday to check on them again. If you see them please post back or email me, leo811sf@gmail.com would appreciate it. Would also be curious when you first noticed them missing. Thank you for caring about the Park Friends, and supporting my effort. Praying for a good outcome. Kim.

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.