Sunday, May 13, 2018

Cobby Chimpanzee the Movie to Premiere in San Francisco!


Some of you already know that the Life Story of our Male Chimpanzee Cobby is the subject of a Documentary titled,  Cobby: The Other Side Of Cute.  From the beginning of production I have hoped that the film would have its first showing here in San Francisco.  Last week the wonderful news was made public when SF DocFest announced their 2018 line-up.  Cobby: The Other Side Of Cute will have its World Premiere June 3rd at the Roxie Theater!  A second showing will be the following day.  

Here is the SF DocFest page photo and link that will take you directly to this page, where you can purchase tickets. 



I have not seen the film yet, but I was involved and know all the people who will be interviewed and I think it will be a great film for awareness of the overall plight of Chimpanzees.  There are still so many people who don't know what horror wild Chimps face.  When I first was contacted by one of the Filmmakers, Donna McRae, she didn't even know.  I myself may only know because I know our San Francisco Zoo Chimpanzees and their histories.  

Donna had grown up watching Cobby's TV Show Cobby's Hobbies.  Filmed in the USA, but only shown in her native Australia.  Like Donna, I grew up watching a TV Show featuring Chimps, Lancelot Link Secret Chimp.  Before Lancelot, before Cobby, there was Chatter (who was Cobby's adopted Brother).  Chimps have long been subjects of Entertainment, and while they have become less used in TV/Film, probably because of the stigma that's been attached in recent years, you will still see Chimps used this way and in other media and advertising.  For one, there is an abundance of greeting cards featuring Chimps.  All these Chimps are infants and juveniles.  Whether taken from the wild or born in captivity, all have been taken as infants from their Mother's, and have become part of an ongoing Exotic Animal Pet Trade.  

When I began filling Donna in on Cobby, and our Maggie, Minnie and Tallulah's history, she had no idea about this, and was horrified.  All four were victims of the Pet Trade. They were all wild born. They were all taken from their Mother's.  Their Mother's most likely murdered, in order for the kidnapping to take place.  In the current crisis, Mother's and other Family members are murdered and their bodies sold for bushmeat, while infants sold as Pets.  ... Along with her search for Cobby, and now learning the horror Cobby, our girls, and other infant Chimps had and continue to face, it was clear this was a film she and her partner Michael Vale wanted to make.   Cobby Movie was born.

I helped with research and interviewee suggestions, so I know this will be a Film that tells Cobby's story and how it relates to the plight of wild Chimpanzees.  He personalizes the crisis.  Cobby knew the horror of being ripped from his wild Family, but thankfully, he was one of the lucky ones.  He was treated well by the Family that bought him, and has lived a good peaceful life since arriving at the Zoo.

Hope everyone who knows our SFZoo Chimps, and who cares about or wants to learn about the plight of Chimpanzees will be interested in seeing this Film.

I made a video telling Cobby about the Movie :) 

2 comments:

  1. I am excited for Cobby's story to be told. I just adore him. He is quite the character. I grew up knowing Chatter the Chimp and still remember the theme song. Over the past several years I have come to know Cobby and just love him. I am glad this documentary has been made. People need to be aware. Yeahhhh Cobby !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. ... Hoping it will come to DVD sooner than later so more people will be able to view it. ... You know Chatter and Cobby were "Brothers"!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.