Friday, May 25, 2018

HOT TOPIC! - SF Rec and Park Allowing Volunteers to Kidnap Swan Babies!

Well, I again got delayed in wrapping up the posts I have in draft and getting them posted.  

On Monday 5.14.18 , I went to the Palace of Fine Arts to check on a Duck I observed with a foot issue the week before.  Also the week before I saw both Swan Parents, Blanche and Blue Boy off the nest, so I figured with hatching time at either near or passed, that there would be no Cygnets this year, OR that the Caregivers had once again taken them.  To my surprise and joy, there were two beautiful Cygnets, with their Parents!


Knowing these Swans very well, even having two eggs hatch in front of me in 2013, I once again became involved in the cruel drama that they suffer at the hands of the Volunteer Caretakers and SF Rec and Park.  I knew for several years that the Caretakers were taking these Babies soon after hatching, but couldn't prove it and no one believed me.  Well, this same day, I overheard the Caretaker and Gardener hatching a plan to "Net" the Babies!   Needless to say, I was near tears, that this might not only be happening, but possibly be happening while I was there.  I was thrown into a heightened state of anxiety, literally shaking as I tried to google search contact numbers for media that I didn't already have in my phone.  I called everyone I could think of, spoke with ACC, Park Rangers, Rec and Park Staff who all deferred to one person, who is and continues to be no help, because she refuses to acknowledge the factual reason the Caretaker is giving.  

I want to note because it relates to the SFZoo.  Dealing with Rec and Park in regards to this situation, it has become clearer that they do not care about Animals.  I have contacted them in regard to Wildlife issues before and they are no help.  I have found that in this situation with the Palace Swans, they defer to the Volunteer Caretakers, rather than take an active role in the management of the Swans.  Sound familiar?  It should, because (and this is a blog post I intend to do) the SF Rec and Park, along with the SF Zoological Society is supposed to take part in managing the Zoo, yet they defer to Director Peterson, rather than take that active role in management.  Why?  I can only assume because its easier for them.  They don't have to think about the Zoo, or in this case the Swans.  Others are appointed to head the management, so they just take whatever they say, whether the Swan Caretakers, or Zoo Director, as word and allow them to do whatever they want.  

Passing the buck is common, but what I find disturbing and curious about the SF Rec and Park, is that, our City claims to be "green"  and care about the environment, patting its back at every turn on their "accomplishments" in this area, yet when it comes to the Wild things that live here, both actually wild and in captivity, they don't seem to give a shit.  Its really upsetting.

With all the networking I have been trying to do to Help the Swans, I keep forgetting to post here for added awareness. ... The Cygnets are two weeks old now.  Hopefully my efforts have given them a stay from the Kidnapping.  Who knows because you can't get a satisfying answer out of Rec and Park.  The Rec and Park give one reason, the Caretakers another.  The later says they take them so they don't get eaten by Raccoons.   Rec and Park refuses to comment on the contradiction.  Bottom line, these Babies need their Parents.  These Swans were put to live on the Palace Lake as Wild Animals.  They must be allowed to take care of their Babies until the natural time they would separate in the wild, which is near adult size , after 3-4 months.  Taking them preemptively on a hypothetical is Cruel, and just as traumatizing as if  they were taken by Animal Predator.                                                                                              

                                                                                                                                                             There are alot of details to this situation.  I started a dedicated blog to this situation.  I have a post detailing all information, a post to my FB Group, Petition, and Video.  If this interests you please visit the blog and read the details.  I will continue to post there about what's going on.  Thank you!

Help Spread Awareness!
View and Share 


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.