Saturday, August 11, 2018

HOT TOPIC! - Snow Leopard Cubs Debut - the Amazing and the Upsetting

Seeing these babies was highly anticipated for me, how it was done was very upsetting.  The babies are amazing and beautiful.  I love these precious little gifts.  I wish their debut had been different.  Not just for me, but for them.

Ever since the announcement that we would have Snow Leopard babies, I was beyond excited at getting the opportunity to see Cubs and watch them grow up.  In the 90s I was lucky to have seen Ming Wahs babies, when the Feline Conservation Center area was still open.  I didn't get to spend as much time at the Zoo pre-2008, so I missed a lot, including watching so many babies grow-up.  Over the last ten years I've had so many incredible experiences with these wonderful Zoo Friends and have been blessed to have been able to see so many babies and watch them grow from their first days out.

Soon after Anna ("Dawa") gave birth on June 7 it was said that it would be two months before the cubs would be out, which brought it to this past week.  More recently I heard that hopefully at the end of this week Keepers would start taking them out before the Zoo opened up, to get them used to the yard.  I heard the little girl had a bit of a mobility issue, so I assume Keepers probably wanted to monitor them maneuvering the exhibit before going out with Mama, in a situation where Keepers could not intervene if necessary.

You will notice I write "today",... I actually wrote most of this post that same day, but didn't get to posting til now. For the purpose of a few things I write, I want to leave it in that day.  

Today (Thursday) was my last visit for the week so when I got there at opening, I ran up to the exhibit hoping that I might get an early Birthday Present and catch a glimpse of them out for just a few minutes before they went in.  

Well, turns out Zoo Management decided on making their first time out, public, including having Media present.  At the same time I was happy that I was definitely going to see them, I was pissed and sad at this latest bad decision by Zoo Management.  I have no idea who's idea this was, but I'll go with the Director since she allegedly has to okay things like this and it has selfish written all over it.  

Before this all even took place, I was outraged. So, what's my grief about it?  Well I can tell you that it's not just my grief, like most everything, I've ever complained about, I'm not the only one who thinks this was awful, I'm just the only one who's vocal about it.  And for the record, having an opinion is not a crime.

The first time these babies went outside the den and without their Mama, should have been low key, no pressure, and no audience.  For the comfort of the Babies, their Mama, and the Keepers.

There was no reason to rush these babies out for public view. There was no reason to rush this to be a Media Event. Their debut could have waited til they could be out with their Mama, or at the very least had a few days to get comfortable in new surroundings.  Their debut could have waited til next week, giving them a few times to go out with their Keepers first.  Their debut could have waited til tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, giving them two morning sessions with their Keepers. Their debut today (Thursday) could have been after they had the initial opportunity to be out with their Keepers in the morning.  Why wasn't that allowed?  Any of these scenarios would have shown more empathy and compassion for not only these babies, but for their Mama watching from inside.

As much joy that I had getting to see the babies, I had disgust for the situation.  I do not blame anyone in Animal Staff, they most likely had no choice in how this played out.  I felt bad for the Cubbies and their Mama.  The babies had to be lured out and when they didn't come out far enough they were carried out.  Several times away from the sight of their Mama.  Just for media to get photos. Not cool. Luring them out isn't the real problem, its that they were lured out repeatedly for media.  Sadly, when they were carried down to the window the first time, one of the babies looked at the window and looked scared, running to the Keeper.  For one, if this was the Time it Had to be done, there should have been no viewing at the window, at least give them that privacy and security,  instead of having them see that window for the first time and see a wall of people.   It was heartbreaking.  


About twenty minutes before they finally got to go in and back to their Mama.  I  heard a staffer say at one point that the Mama was getting stressed and they might go in.  I was relieved, but then that's when all the really uncomfortable things started happening.  Picking them up, bringing them to pose for media photos, repeatedly in at least a half dozen different ways, and having the Zoo volunteer photographer go in the exhibit!  It was an inappropriate time to be doing all of this.  It was just too much.  And the babies kept trying to go back in so may times, but were lured and forced to stay out so media could get photos.  At one point they were put in the empty pond to contain them while the Zoo photographer got photos of them trapped in there.  I really hated that, but maybe the Keepers thought that would finally get the pix and get this circus over with.  There was no reason to do all of this at this time, and keep them separated from their Mama for an hour and ten minutes, while she watched them from inside.




I assume the idea behind this was to capture their amazement of the outdoor world for the first time, but that is just selfish.  There was no need to share that unless it was an ideal situation.  No Reason.  Ideal would have been to see them with their Mama for the first time out, sharing that wonderment with her, naturally.  Their acclimation to the yard should have been before the Zoo opened, until they were ready to go out with their Mama.  There was nothing natural about forcing them out and forcing them to repeatedly pose.  I ask SFZoo, what was the rush?  Why did you put these Babies through this?  Their new big experience should have been a quiet, calm, unrushed, and unpressured situation for the Cubs, their Mama and their Keepers.  They are babies for criminey sakes, they should have been allowed to take babie steps in this experience, not be forced out to entertain media and the public.  I have been told the Zoo was moving in a direction that allowed for the Animals to dictate what they wanted to do.  This whole situation went against that completely.  When those babies came out for the first time and went along the fencing where Mama could see them, and then ran back in to her, THAT should have been it for a bit.  Maybe even it for their first session out.  Everything that happened in the hour after that, was unnecessary and cruel.  

I highly doubt anyone on the Animal Staff thought this was a good idea.  I'm increasingly bothered by the lack of consideration for the feelings and well-being of the Animals, from Management that is made up of people who are not Animal Professionals and who don't listen to the people on staff who are and work directly with the Animals.  This should have never happened.  There should have been a meeting about this, that included Keepers and Curators weighing in on the pros and cons of doing this, and another more caring way should have been the outcome.  The public could have waited until the FAMILY was ready to debut together.  There is no reason that couldn't happen.  No reason it didn't happen.   This was just Sad. 

*~*~*~*~*~*

This is a link to my video clips from the day.  I separated them into six videos.  This link is to a compilation of all the videos for the purpose of blog posting.  Watching them separate is better viewing, you decide.  From this link you can choose to view my channel for the video listing, if you want to view them in parts.


I want to note that while I was happy to get to see them, I almost wish I hadn't in this setting.  Watching back through the videos was very upsetting.  I felt it at the time, but it was also diluted with watching adorableness.  Reliving it, made me cry.  While these babies are beyond cute, some of the upsetting things you will see, include:  *A scared cub, crouching down, ears low and seeking shelter and comfort from the Keeper.  *Their mama watching as she not only sees her Cubs moved out of her sight, but can hear a crowd of people.  She doesn't know what's going on.  *Zoo staff holding the Cubs for media.  Then when put down they tried to walk away, but were either held in place for a second, or brought back.  They should not have been repeatedly made to pose for photos. *The Cubs trying to go back inside many times.  And brought back out.  All while Mama was watching. ... I don't blame the Keepers, I would bet they are doing this on direction from Zoo Management.  

There is no reason the Cubs were not photographed naturally with their Mama when that time came.  Forcing this was not in the best interest of the Cubs or their Mother.  I just don't understand why the rush.  Have some compassion SFZoo!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Anyway, glad I was there to see these precious babies, as well to be able to document this unnecessary hoopla.  If I weren't you might have to believe the fantasy put forth by Chronicle reporter Lauren Hernandez who wrote three times in her article about the debut, that their Mama was out with them!  Wow.

Screencaps from the article below.  You can read full article

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-Zoo-s-snow-leopard-cubs-step-out-of-their-13145163.php
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you totally. This debut was handled wrong and it was cruel. The media should not have been there and the first time the babies wanted back in that should have ended it. I feel especially upset about their mama. I guess I should be shocked about this situation but then again nothing the zoo does would surprise me. Thank you for being a champion for the animals. I agree with your thoughts completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. @Andie ... Thank you for your comment. I apologize for the delay in reply. I never received the comment notification and was just now going over some settings and saw this. Your comment is valued, thank you for your time. ... Thank you for your continued support in my efforts, as well your words, as you know the Zoo and Animals like I do. The Zoo will discard our feelings and think they know best, but the actions of this event speak for themselves.

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.