Friday, June 14, 2019

Ndume the Gorilla Finally Returns to Cincinnati Zoo! - (Non-SFZoo)

Ndume is finally free of The Gorilla Foundation!  Hallelujah!  

Its been an emotional 24 hours.  I laid in bed all day, reading Ndume reports, while cuddling my kitten and recovering from the fatigue of our extreme heat wave.  I didn't start my day til late this afternoon and this is the only thing I plan to do today.  It's a great day for Ndume and all who love him!

This is Non-SFZoo related, but important to me.  I have written other posts about the plight of Ndume the Gorilla, Koko and The Gorilla Foundation (TGF). I haven't posted about Ndume, since February, when after TGF refused to release Ndume into their care, the Cincinnati Zoo had to take them to court.  There were bumps in that road, as Penny Patterson/TGF, repeatedly battled The Cincinnati Zoo, who own Ndume, for custody. Finally last week, the Judge ordered a set date for transfer.

Since the story of his transfer overnight, has had much media coverage, I'm going to just write a bit to wrap-up this year long wait to see this happen for Ndume and add a couple news links that I thought were the best coverage.

I followed this case closely, having crusaded for Ndume's transfer since Koko's passing last June.  Knowing the move date was June 13th, yesterday, I had hoped someone from Cincinnati would film Ndume's journey, so the many of us who have rallied for him to have a better life, could be a part of that.

As soon as I got home last night, before I could do anything, I was stopped by a news video of Ndume being loaded into a van and on his way to the airport!  All I could do was stand there sobbing.  Tears of joy streaming that this was finally happening for him, for his new life adventure and praying for safe travel.
screencap from:
This morning, brought many news articles, and many more tears!  One that thankfully mentioned a live stream press conference from the Cincinnati Zoo, that was about to happen at the moment I was reading it.  


I thought everything about this was wonderful!  I never imagined we would get this share of information.  Grateful!  It was an excellent Q & A with Ron Evans, the Cincinnati Zoo Primate Curator.  I've been a bit critical of Evans, as well as the Gorilla SSP's Kristen Lukas, reasons for which I will reiterate later.  But, I have to give him props now, because he gave all of us who love Ndume, what we needed with this dialog!  I couldn't ask for more.  I hope the Zoo continues to make progress reports much like this one.  

Knowing that Ndume didn't have to be sedated, didn't resist the crate and from additional non-media information I heard, he seemed to have been the perfect traveler!  And now hearing he was already exploring his new surroundings, confirms, this was the right thing for him, and he was ready to leave that life of isolation. 

The criticism I mentioned and I have written in previous posts, was because I felt and still do, that the right thing was not done for Ndume for decades.  Whether that was because, as Evans has stated, he felt he couldn't take Ndume away from Koko, or as evidenced by the alleged lack attention given by Evans, Lukas, et al, to Ndume's life at The Gorilla Foundation.  First and foremost, TGF is not an AZA accredited facility, Ndume is in the AZA system so therefore should have never been sent there to begin with.  TGF allegedly does not in any way follow AZA guidelines for housing, diet or medical care.  By all accounts by former caregivers,  no one from the Cincinnati Zoo or the Gorilla SSP (as reps of the AZA) regularly, or even annually, visited the TGF to check on Ndume's care regimen.  Ndume was left there and ignored for decades, by the organization that he was bred into.  I in no way would want to take anything away from Koko, Penny Patterson's first victim, but Koko by all accounts did not want to be around other Gorillas, She had already been ruined and humanized. My heart breaks for her every time I think about her.  She and Ndume did not really co-habitate.  So leaving him there, because it wouldn't be fair to her, in essence put her above him.  What if Ndume had passed away before Koko?  His life without a Gorilla Family at The Gorilla Foundation would have been all he had known for near three decades.  That's just wrong and sad. 

That all said, and its not to bash anyone, but it's the truth and needs to always be remembered as to how Ndume ended up in this situation for 28 years. That said, thankfully Cincinnati Zoo did the right thing and I give them kudos for not taking the easy way out, and signing him over to Penny.  When things got tough, they fought for Ndume all the way to the end.  So a big Thank you, to Ron Evans and the Cincinnati Zoo team for making this happen for Ndume.  You did right by him. I look forward to following his journey.  

The other good media piece was by a Cincinnati local news station. They captured the footage of him being loaded into the van, and in another piece, interviewed John Safkow the former caregiver (2009-2012)  who started his crusade for Ndume several years ago.
screencap from:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=67qIWo4tlg0

This had me shedding tears again!  A great report, with the best being the quotes from Ndume's best friend John Safkow!  The first one (pictured above) was awesome and resonated with me.  I'm so glad we met.  He is a like minded crusader.  Neither of us started out knowing we would have to save our respective Ape Friends, but when the situations presented themselves, our souls knew we had to try!  Bravo my friend!  Congratulations for keeping your promise to Ndume!  I know it feels good!  One of the most important things I've done in my life, was helping my SFZoo Chimp Friends. When I was approached by a former Keeper who told me the Director's plan to kick them out, he followed it by saying, "What are you going to do?".  He came to me when no one at the Zoo, not even those who cared for our Chimps would be their voice.  Not even anonymously.  He knew I would be their Voice.  So, I know how it feels to save the lives of these precious Beings we are endeared to.  Thank you John for being the only person with the guts to show their face and speak the truth about what life really was like for the Gorilla's, at The Gorilla Foundation.  What life was like for Ndume.  

1 comment:

  1. I've been crying happy tears all day! Welcome HOME, Ndume!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.