Friday, June 28, 2019

Happy Birthday Tatiana - Remembering Passed Zoo Friends

Well, per usual, I didn't finish a post by my intended goal time.  I started this last night, and am finally posting it. 

Yesterday was Tatiana's Birthday.  She would have been Sixteen and even though a Senior, if she was healthy, she would have still been here.  Happy Birthday Lady.  I hope You and Tony, his Sister Emily and Shastyuh (all our passed Siberian Tiger Friends) are having a wonderful afterlife!  

Earlier this week, I saw that the lettering on the plaque on Tatiana's Bench was really worn. I had been noticing it for some time, but now it wasn't even readable unless you got up close. I think all the storms we've had did a final number on it.  I was one of the Donors for her Bench, so I wanted to fix this. I got permission, and took care of it on Tuesday. I wanted to get it done by her Birthday (June 27), and thankful I could. It was a bit harder than I thought to stay on the embossed lines of such tiny lettering, but I did the best I could, even if not the perfection I imagined.   A couple oops!  but it looks really good now!  So I'm very happy.  Its readable on approach, and looks bright and renewed!   

before
after
 

I met Kathleen McGarr after Tatiana's death Christmas 2007.  Both of us were deeply affected by the tragedy, and as a result, active commenters on the sfgate site for every article written about it.  I later learned that she had begun the process of getting a bench as a Memorial for Tatiana.  She wanted a place for people to stop and remember her.  I am lucky that our paths crossed in time for me to be able to donate to the purchase of the bench.  I had recently lost my Cat of Twenty Years, and donated in his memory, which meant alot to me.

Kathleen's efforts for Tatiana, reached people who had never known Tatiana, but were touched by what had happened to her.  Over two dozen donors, some from out of state, contributed to this Memorial for Tatiana.  Kathleen's goal was to have it installed by the first anniversary.  

The group of local Donors were invited to meet with Tatiana's Keeper (Barb Palmer) at the Bench the Morning it was installed.  At Kathleen's request, it was placed at Tatiana's home.  Her companion Tony still lived there.  Barb was wonderful.  She talked to us about Tatiana, answered questions and shed tears with the rest of us.  It was an emotional day, that finally came to fruition.  Thank You Kat, for all your hard work for our Beautiful Girl. 

I went back to the bench yesterday, her Birthday.  I wanted to make sure the letters still looked good and touch them up if needed.  I had a chat with her Spirit, which led to talking to all the Spirits of my passed Big Cat Friends.  Some may not believe, but I am a believer.  I often talk to all the Friends Spirits Zoo-wide.  Yesterday, it was Tatiana, Tony, Emily, Shastyuh, Padang, Kita, Tunya, Amanzi, and our Jahari, who just recently passed.  Its important to my soul for me to recognize them, even though they aren't still here in body.  They all became a part of my life, and you don't lose that. 

A few years ago, a friend of mine from out of state, who visited the Zoo before we met, wished he could put flowers on Tatiana's bench for her Birthday.  I told him I would do it for him.  I left these flowers with a ribbon, I wrote a note to Tatiana and all our passed Friends.   After I put them there, and took a moment, I left, but circled back a bit later.  I was happy to see people stopping to read the plaque and over hear people remembering her, especially in more than the usual, sensationalized quip.


In 2010, my friend Lee had a meeting with Director Peterson.  She pitched her idea for a Memorial Garden, and offered to buy  five trees in honor of five Zoo Friends we had lost in as many weeks.  She and I had been doing our own memorials, but we both wished there was a place in the Zoo that was dedicated to those we have lost.  The idea was veto'd.  Not of value.  Sad. 

We both still talk about it.  I have in recent years made specific notes about it in my Zoo fantasy wish list, even imagining how it would look and where it would go.  The first location, Lee's idea was a nice spot by South Gate, but that is no longer an option.  I think a nice spot now would be the Patas Lawn.  More important than the location, is just the idea that we could possibly have one.  I say we, as not only myself and Lee think this is a wonderful idea, there are so many people who are endeared to the Animals.  It would be nice to have a place of peace, where you could go and pay your respects to a Friend who touched your life.  I have too often over the last nine years, stood crying at the home of where a recently passed Zoo Friend had lived.  Often I would be trying to take a moment to say some words quickly before people come by. An enclosed Garden with a bench and some sort of remembrance marker (a stone, ornament, etc.) of those we've lost, would be beautiful and a respectful tribute. 

Thank You to all the Precious Animal Beings I have met at the Zoo.  Each one of you have enriched my life.  I love you and miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.